related text for Coleridge (1 Viewer)

Michiru

HSC
there's seems to be heated debate over what related text is best for Coleridge.

some people say since the focus texts are poems then the related ones shouldn't be. That rules any poetry and lyrics. Their justifications are based on the fact that there won't be enough techniques to 'show off'

others say it doesn't really matter wheter one does poetry and lyrics or not. they arguments are that its more about the concept rather than the techniques.

i'm caught in the middle and confused. what do you guys think?

fulsic

I don't think you will be marked down for selecting a poem or lyrics to go with Coleridge, however, for best results, it is best to stay away from lyrics as they are not as substantial as a poem is.

The best texts to select would be either a film or a novel, but that's just my opinion.

You get marked on your ability to identify techniques and explain how they work. By selecting a poem to do with a poem, most of the techniques will be repeated. Whereas, with a film, (yes, some will be the same) there will be wider range of techniques to select - visual and language. Poems may present a visual image in the readers' imagination, they only present words on the page.

*sarah*

HSC
Yeah, i'd try and avoid using the same type of text, ie poetry. I did have lyrics as one of my related texts - didnt even think of it as poetry at the time lol.
You'd be better off using a different text type as you can show your knowledge of a wide range of techniques and how they give meaning to the journey etc etc. There are so many texts you shouldn't have problems finding one!

demosthenes

Executive Sardine
HSC
Honestly, use a picture book. They are so basic, yet there is so much stuff to talk about in them--visual and written, specific audience etc.
I used Maurice Sendak's "Where the Wild Things Are" and it went beautifuly with the idea of the I.J broadening understanding of self and surrounds. It went well with the panthaeistic ideas (paganism etc) expressed in Coleridge's poetry, esp. Lime Tree.
Good Luck!!!

pungpui

HSC
look the best way is to fully analyse each poem, bring out the core concepts.

then analyse related material, bring out core concepts...

combine em and link em as best as possible...

EG Kubla Khans pleasure dome acts as a link between both worlds (conscious and subconscious - structurally)

In Wizard of Oz, Scarcrow, tinman and lion are characters in real life, and wizard of oz himself claims he can take Dorothy back to Kansas, thus a link between both worlds.

combine em, then use both as an example.

pungpui

HSC
*Ya_So_CuTe* said:
i know it's so damn confusing when u have so mnay different people tell u different things!

my advanced eng teacher at school is a senior HSC marker and she told us that the general consensus with those she's marked with over the years ,is that they favour diversity to be shown in the choice of texts.

So it would be better to stay away from poetry if your focus text is coleridge as exploring comics, articles,novels and film will allow you to find a more broad range of techniques and how they relate to meaning.

Having said that im having difficulty finding how imaginative journeys are created in the texts i've looked at! * sigh*! Good luck anyway!
thankyou captain obvious!

i used coleridge (core text), movies (Eg wizard of oz, matrix), stimulus booklet, Salvador Dali painting, cant remember wat else it was so long ago!

Trigger189

XYLENE-FREE ZONE
HSC
For related texts I used John Keats Ode on a Grecian Urn and David Lynch's Mulholland Drive. Stanley Kurbik's 2001: A Space Odyssey and Gary Ross' Pleasantville are also good for related texts.

For stimulus booklet I also did a poem, and it didn't affect my marks at all doing mostly poetry, as long as I had that diversity, which was my visual text.

Michiru

HSC
i used coleridge (core text), movies (Eg wizard of oz, matrix), stimulus booklet, Salvador Dali painting, cant remember wat else it was so long ago!

can you use paintings (eg Salvador Dali's) for related material !?!?!?

that's crazy!!

pungpui

HSC
course you can! its a text, and dali's paintings are so relevant to this topic...

look for Geopoliticus Child Watching the Birth of the New Age Man to get you started...thats the 1 i used

Lil Clutch

HSC
Salvador Dali

pungpui said:
course you can! its a text, and dali's paintings are so relevant to this topic...

look for Geopoliticus Child Watching the Birth of the New Age Man to get you started...thats the 1 i used
hey if you're still around-can you help me with that text. i mean its such a wonderful text! you like saved my life! do you have any of your notes on it or anything? thanks. ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)