• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

related text for frontline (1 Viewer)

~GrOoVy~

*cough* hahahhaa *cough*
HSC
I have chosen to do the song Lies by The Waifs and The simpson episode Homer bad man. I just want to know if these texts are appropriate to use if you are aiming for band six.

Dreamerish*~

Love Addict - Nakashima
HSC
I used "Homer Bad Man" in my trials. I'll let you know on how I went. :p

_blank

HSC
Uni Grad
Problem is, that everyone uses that.
Like me :rolleyes: . But if you manage to get originality in your argument, ideas and writing style - then I think it'll be fine. I'm not sure about Lies, but Homer: Bad Man is quite easily to analyze and you'll get probably get decent marks - but if you want to aim for better, try to up the ante with originality in your thesis or analyzing things others may not have focused on as much?

anchor

HSC
rightie said:
everyone uses what? homer - bad man?
Yes. A lot of people. I happened to randomly mention it after the trial and discovered that about three or four of my friends alone had used it. I wouldn't use it for the HSC simply because the markers have probably tired of reading about it, and it's a 'cartoon'. I'd go for something more serious, say a film or documentary.

taxman

make poverty
HSC
Anything will do, but if it's possible try and show the marker you're a high end thinker. To do this, make use of complex arguments surrounding news stories (with context, etc) or more reputable media like documentaries and novels.

Visual texts are very good to use for techniques, however.

~GrOoVy~

*cough* hahahhaa *cough*
HSC
wat about the song 'Lies' do u guys reckon i should scrape this and get a newspaper article or somfin??

oh and btw can we do media watch as a related text??

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
it's all in the analysis and depth of perception rather than the text itself

even so, i would go for more sophisticated text...up to you really because i don't know what's possible and what's not exactly

serge

HSC
taxman said:
more reputable media...Visual texts are very good to use for techniques, however.
This whole module has been teaching you that nothing is "reputable" media

I wouldn't use a visual text as related material because Frontline is a visual text

Either way the markers are not meant to have any personal bias
so the main marking criteria would be

- is the text relevant?
- have you chosen good techniques to analyse?
- have you written a logical and sophisticated response?

I would chose the song Lies and maybe a newspaper article...

Mediawatch is a popular related text, but you need to explain and analyse how it manipulates the truth, I think using mediawatch would depend on
your arguement, because it wouldnt make sense with my chosen episodes and 1st related text.

kitty_purrswell

Butter your own muffin
HSC
When it all boils down, it really doesn't matter what related text you use, just as long as that it is rich with techniques, and you can write it as part of a 1200 word essay. Personally, I've chosen a political cartoon and newspaper article as my related texts, mainly because the issues that they both raise can be easily related to the Frontline episodes that I've chosen.

A pointer though; I wouldn't (and have always been advised against) doing another television series or program as a related text, especially if the same issues are being raised as Frontline. *Apparently* markers look down upon related texts of the same text type. That's why something like MediaWatch might not be a good idea?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)