Related text question (1 Viewer)

akim93

HSC
hi
When your writing related texts do you need to discuss it together with the set text or can i just talk about the related text by it self??

help will be much appreciated

jellybelly59

HSC
depends what you are doing... whether it's thematically related like to belonging and conflicting perspectives/history and memory or you are comparing the text as a comparative study of text.... if it's the latter then yes it's DEFINITELY required that you do that. If you are doing it thematically based you don't have to do it but it's frowned upon because there is a lack of linking = lack of sophistication

akim93

HSC
depends what you are doing... whether it's thematically related like to belonging and conflicting perspectives/history and memory or you are comparing the text as a comparative study of text.... if it's the latter then yes it's DEFINITELY required that you do that. If you are doing it thematically based you don't have to do it but it's frowned upon because there is a lack of linking = lack of sophistication

i was referring to paper 1...on simple gift
isn't every text comparative..?? aren't we stating the similarities between the set text and the related?

im confused
for example do i talk about my set texts for a couple of pages and when i'm doing my related text do i need to refer to my set texts and discuss it together or can i just talk about my related text in relation to belonging?

jellybelly59

HSC
for paper 1 it's just your ability to answer the question with your texts in relation to BELONGING... no not every text is used to compare to the set text - but comparing the similarities in belonging or not belonging for set texts and related can assist you in making a cohesive response which shows markers higher order thinking and a sophisticated response which can get you higher marks. In the end, it's your choice :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)