Related Text Suggestions (1 Viewer)

BRegs

HSC
Hi all,

I just changed my line of argument for an English AOS assessment we have, and therefore need another related text. I'm arguing along the lines of a 'reciprocation of values and ethos within a relationship leading to a sense of Belonging'. Our prescribed text is As You Like It, and my other related text is Joseph Conrad's Heart of Darkness.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
Ben

sinawi

HSC
When you're talking about something reciprocating a value/ethos within a relationship which leads to a sense of belonging, what kind of relationship are you talking about?
And is this relationship necessarily with a human being? Or is it with a time setting? A place? Moment? Object? These too can reciprocate values that are co-dependent with the subject's own ideologies.

Heart of Darkness is excellent still for your subject line because showing examples, values and themes of darkness, savagery and complete contrast between human beings and their values (shit that goes against your subject line) can prove your argument as well.

BRegs

HSC
Well, the question includes the phrase 'yourself and the world'. So my line of argument is a reciprocation of values between an individual and their world - which umbrellas people and place.

Yes, I forgot to mention that I'm using Heart of Darkness to contrast with my other texts.

sinawi

HSC
Have you looked at some poetry?

Check out Oranges and Sunshine (Film)

BRegs

HSC
I would use Oranges and Sunshine (as I think it relates well to my thesis), but we studied that in the Prelim. course and I am already using Heart of Darkness, which we also studied in the Prelim. course. I don't think my teachers would appreciate using two texts from the Prelim. course - though, that said, there is nothing stopping me.

sinawi

HSC
Unfortunate that they were prelim texts. Sorry, didn't know :3

How about I am Sam?

BRegs

HSC
Yes - just had a quick look at it. How would suggest I use it though? I was thinking about (and mind you, this is just going off a quick summary on IMBD) possibly talking about a sense of Belonging between Sam and Rita (his lawyer). What other approaches could I take with it in regards to me thesis?

sinawi

HSC
The connection he has with his daughter, compared to the connection he has with the world - and its legal system.

Watch it and you'll understand absolutely everything. The focus on him and his daughter is paramount.

When you focus on Rita, you focus on her austere and frenetic life which is dictated by court obligations

BRegs

HSC
Yes - thanks for that Sinawi. I completely understand now, and it's actually quite a good related text. Thanks for all your help.

sinawi

HSC
You're absolutely welcome bro, pm me if you have any questions about it. I undertook it for year 11 prelim study, and wrote sufficient notes for a year 12 assessment task under the belonging module. Didn't use it for HSC though, but it was my back-up :)

And boston, that's where you're wrong. The hobbit is where it's at ;)

The marker reads the following in your intro:
>J.R.R Tolkien's The Hobbit espouses the...
>Rubs his/her eyes wearily
>Looks shiftily left and right
>8:50pm
>give this kid a 7/15
>slides paper under the pile of marked kids never to return again
>congratulations, your paper is now lost in limbo with a 'cbf' mark

BRegs

HSC
I would have loved to have used LOTR. I just finished watching the serious AGAIN with a friend yesterday.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)