Related Texts + Relationships (1 Viewer)

sleepplease

HSC
Hey guys,

For my area of study in ENglish I have to collect related texts for "relationships" (and later compare to Maestro). Just wondering, do these texts include all forms of media? Or just novels and films? And do I build up a big collection? Or only those I really want to compare to the book in say, my final exam? Because clearly I wouldn't (probaby) want to compare a news paper article.. but would I put it in a folio or something with the rest of the material?

Thanks for your help! Eek year 11! :p

Soph :) x

Bobness

English / Law
HSC
N/A
1) The texts include all forms of media and it's called text types

2) Teachers advise that you should prepare a list of related texts in case one doesn't quite fit in with the question in your final prelim exam but if you can just focus exclusively on two and analyse them so that the conceptual links with "relationships" are present then you're doing well.

3) You also need to have a variety of text types when you start writing essays/extended responses. For e.g. if your prescribed text (the one you do in class) is a Shakespeare drama your related texts could be a novel and a film or a poem and a newspaper article, just remember to keep these different from each other and the set text. Markers in particular love to see that you have a wide breadth of english skills knowledge.

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC
Related texts can be in any form. Last year our stimulus was "Making Choices", and we had to find two related texts for "Whose Life Is It Anyway?" I used some random poem I found thanks to Google, plus the film "Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind".

Usually your teacher would specify how many related texts you should find. If she hasn't, then I guess you should collect as many as possible. I agree with Bobness, that you should try to get texts from a variety of mediums, so you're covering a broader area. If your stimulus topic is "relationships" then I would suggest also finding texts that discuss different kinds of relationships - friendship, love, sex, family, religion, etc. It will help you, should you have to compare and contrast your related texts.

Good luck!

sleepplease

HSC
Thanks Bobness and Jachie

You had realted texts in yr 10 J?? Random, we didn't. Strange.

But anywho, I think I shall collect.

Thanks muchly :)

Jachie

it ain't easy being white
HSC
Well, I have friends at another school who didn't do them. I guess every school is different. At my school they really like to push that kind of thing on us in Year 10, so we know what we're doing in Years 11 and 12.

slowjam10

HSC
We had to collect related texts last year after the SC had finnished. This was our last major assessment and our last impact on the teachers view of us. Our AOS was Learning and Experience and we had to choose five related texts and analyse them according to a certain set of questions.

I chose:
The film "It's a Wonderful life by Frank Capra
A photo called Enfants by Chargeisheimer
A poem by Rudyard Kipling (can't rember the name it was about growing up)
The song "Over the Rainbow" by Judy Garland from the Wizard of Oz
And a Leunig Cartoon

In the end i got 25/25 wooot:):)

hkgirl

HSC
well it is very important that you can link your own choice of related text to your perscribed text (what ever novel your class will study) if not in your answer, it will be very difficult to link your point together, (as due to time reason, you may only be able to talk about a minimum number of points.)

so check what your prescribed text is first, and what other text that MAY be compulsary.

for my year 11 english adv, my theme was "CHANGE" (yes the HSC AOS just before journeys).

so we had a novel as prescribed text - THE CATCHER IN THE RYE.
a BOS text compulsary we must do - THE DOOR & a prose (which i forgot name!!! >.<)
& one of our related text - DELTA GOODREM; INNOCENT EYE (song).

and i made sure they could all linked together, and made sure they had more than one change in them (like the major change was growing up, but i made sure there was a sub major to it just incase the question didn't match it).

so when choosing, make sure all your texts can relate together :) and have one or 2 backup incase of anything, i wouldn't recommend anything more than 2 backup, cause that will be overload of stuffs, quotes to remember & that's NOT healthy!!

goodluck! let us know what your prescribed text is yeah? and then maybe we can help out with your related text ;)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)