• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

related texts - the red tree (1 Viewer)

choco-holly-24

HSC
i am going to use the picture book "the red tree" by shaun tan as a related text in my assignment.
does anyone know any of the important techniques used in the pictures of the book? all i know is that there is a red leaf on every page...:wave:

steppret

HSC
heyhey..ummmmmmm, yeh i am going to do red tree as well, its a really good choice, there are ceratin themes in the book - the imaginative journey is the progression from depression to hope.. through the regular appearance of the red leaf...the juxatposition of words which correspond with the images... um yeh!

kooltrainer

HSC
oo me too.. im doing this as well... i cant seem to find close relation between tempest and this. i guess that it progresses from depression to hope just like how prospero changes his perspective and give up on his magic TRICKS!

chocomania

HSC
can anyone tell me how the red tree can be ralated and wat techniques are good using to relate this to the tempest?? i just read the book and am not sure how at all it relates...desperate!!!

bazza159

HSC
Yeh im using the red tree as well, looks like a good book. Shaun tan's website has some good information on it - particularly about Tan's intentions with the portrayal of the imagination.

Butters!

HSC
I used this text for my term 1 speech and found that it was relatively easy to deconstuct the textual and visual information. It's a story about a girl trapped in her depresive and pessimistic thoughts. The red leaf on every page symbolises her potential to change her pessimistic out look to one of optimisim and hope. At the end of the book she finally recognises the red leaf, which rapidly grows into a bright and vibrant tree full of red leaves and she is smiling. The moral of the story is that you create your own reality through your thoughts; if you percive a world devoide of hope and happiness then that is ultimately the way you will feel, but if you have an optimistic view you will recognise the good rather than the bad and thus feel better about life.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)