Related texts? (1 Viewer)

SuchSmallHands

HSC
I'm trying to minimise the amount of texts that I have to look at in English, and to do this I've been looking for related texts that cross over between After the Bomb (ext. 1) and advanced. However, I was wondering if it's seriously recommended against to used texts prescribed for other modules as related texts. For example, for conflicting perspectives could I choose a Sylvia Plath poem studied in ext. 1 and Frankenstein studied in mod. A? Or would this be frowned upon by a marker for not showing extensive independent research (note: I'm only doing this for advanced, not extension).

HSC
N/A
Hi SuchSmallHands,

While it is entirely possible to 'recycle' related texts in such a way, remember that the same teachers mark school assessments and will definitely think of it as laziness on your part. There are a plethora of possible texts to choose from, so it's worth putting in just that extra inch of an effort to ensure that your essays can achieve the maximum mark possible.

The Extension 1 course similarly prescribes Plath's Ariel, but that anthology consisted of more than 20 poems and the Board of Studies has only prescribed 7 of those - thus I would recommend you to research into Plath's other poems too.

Remember - it's your HSC and you want to avoid taking risks such as the ones you mentioned.

Best of luck!

Mdyeow

HSC
Uni Grad
Hi SuchSmallHands,

While it is entirely possible to 'recycle' related texts in such a way, remember that the same teachers mark school assessments and will definitely think of it as laziness on your part.
My trick was to pick supplementary texts that could work for multiple units. The video game Deus Ex, for example, worked not only for my Ext 1 of Crime Fiction, but also for the "Truth" Area of Study (Paper 2) and, of course, "Journeys".

BUT

I had a rule that a supplementary text for any one unit should only be a SECONDARY supplementary for others. That is, I would only use it if my main supplementary texts didn't suit a question.

And, of course, you don't want to use the same supplementary text IN THE SAME PAPER.

So don't use prescribed texts as supps, but you can use one supp creatively across several units if you are clever about it (and pick texts which genuinely resonate across all said units).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)