relativistic speeds and return to stationary (1 Viewer)

idling fire

HSC
Just taking the mass dilation effect as an example...

Near the speed of light the object (from a moving frame of reference) will have a real increase in mass, but when it becomes stationary again, it returns to 'normal' mass. Correct?

So where does the mass go? I know where it comes from with the E=mc^2 equation, so I would have thought the mass converts back to energy... and then what does that energy do? Work towards the decelleration of the object?

Same sort of problem with time dilation. Clocks in different f. of r. are supposed to scynchronise when they're both stationary... but how do they scynchronise?

Thanks in advance. :)

EDIT: There is the point that non-inertial fames of reference have preference over inertial ones... anything to do with it?

jyu

HSC
idling fire said:
Just taking the mass dilation effect as an example...

Near the speed of light the object (from a moving frame of reference) will have a real increase in mass, but when it becomes stationary again, it returns to 'normal' mass. Correct?

So where does the mass go? I know where it comes from with the E=mc^2 equation, so I would have thought the mass converts back to energy... and then what does that energy do? Work towards the decelleration of the object?

Same sort of problem with time dilation. Clocks in different f. of r. are supposed to scynchronise when they're both stationary... but how do they scynchronise?

Thanks in advance. :)

EDIT: There is the point that non-inertial fames of reference have preference over inertial ones... anything to do with it?
I think you are confused, or am I?

If an object appears to be at rest to an observer, its mass will be at its minimum (i.e. rest mass). If it appears to be moving to a different observer, its mass will be greater than its rest mass. The two observers have different measures of the object's mass. The object is neither speeding up nor slowing down.

:santa: :santa: :santa:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)