Religion and Women (1 Viewer)

craziebeautiful

i really think im going to fail this extended response on religion and women
does anyone know where i can find notes on mary magdalene / A'isha and also Elisabeth Schulsser Firoenza and Laila Ahmed or whateva lol
thanku :)

snapperhead

Has decided to retire
HSC
N/A
craziebeautiful said:
does anyone know where i can find notes on mary magdalene / A'isha and also Elisabeth Schulsser Firoenza and Laila Ahmed or whateva lol
try the notes/resources section or google it

You just have to look as there is heaps out there......

MissSavage29

Resident Priss
HSC
craziebeautiful said:
hey - religion and women - unfortuintly a painfull topic because there is just nothing out there on the darn thing. i did it last year and i think i may have notes on it - i'll have a look in a sec

ohk - i didn't have any notes on the topic - instead i was just using two essays that i wrote which basically included everythign that i could on Magdalene and Firoenza.

i'll just copy and paste the appropriate paragraphs here (just note that we did magdalene / Esther and Blu Greenberg and Elizabeth)

Elizabeth Schussler Fiorenza, who demands great changes to Christianity, specifically Catholicism, starkly contrasts the conservative teachings of Blu Greenberg. Schussler Fiorenza challenges the patriarchical nature of the church structure, which she has developed the word kyriarchy (meaning lordship) to explore her theories regarding the structure of the church. Schussler Fiorenza identifies that while their sexuality does impact upon a woman’s exclusions from various sects of the church; the majority of this discrimination comes from men not wanting to share their power. Schussler Fiorenza believes that the gender roles that the church ascribes to women within the Catholic faith need to be re-evaluated to include women; she states, “I approve of women being priest or ordained ministers”. Schussler Fiorenza challenges the gender roles held within the church hierarchy; she believes that women need to take a more definite role within the church.

Within her studies of hermeneutics Schussler Fiorenza believes that exclusive language needs to be altered to include both men and women, phrases such as man need to be rewritten as human, thus not excluding women. Schussler Fiorenza seeks to change the bias within the bible, Schussler Fiorenza has “long advocated a rhetorical approach to bible scholarship that takes into consideration multiple emancipatory aims; that examines various interesting kings of oppression based on class, race, gender, culture and religious affliction.”(Sarah J Meicher; The Problem of Anti-Judaism in Christian Feminist Biblical Interpretations: Some Pragmatic suggestions)

Schussler Fiorenza aims on educating the church, public and women in regards to her theories. In the 1970s’ Schussler Fiorenza began her work exegesis the New Testament issuing her own Hermeneutics of suspicion. Schussler Fiorenza is one of the most widely known and respected Catholic feminist theologians, her writings have been held in high respect by Catholics and Christians alike. Her list of works include ‘The forgotten partner’ which explored how the Catholic Church defined itself to allow women to exercise gifts and power that women were issued by God. Her PhD Thesis – Priest for God – explored similar feminists issues. Thus like Greenberg Schussler Fiorenza works to educate Christians through her writing.

Mary Magdalene has been noted in the four gospels as a discipline of Jesus, alike Esther Mary Magdalene lived in a period, which was unfriendly towards women. Historical records have painted Mary Magdalene as a prostitute, which the gospels seemingly affirm – however there is no concessive proof of this accusation – nevertheless her relationship with the founder, Jesus, is considered unusual as he accepted her, despite her status and position as a women – the association with women during first-century Palestinian Judaism was considered taboo, hence Mary’s relationship with Jesus was considered improper for the period. Mary Magdalene was considered a leader of the women, providing financial support to the Jesus, noted in Luke 8, “and some women who had been cured of evil spirits and infirmities, Mary, called Magdalene…and many others who provided them out of their resources”. Her contribution to the founder has been significantly noted as she is recorded as the “Apostle to the Apostles”.

Mary Magdalene appears in five of the six account of the resurrection of Jesus, in which she is always the first woman mentioned. Luke, Matthew and Mark provide Mary Magdalene with a supporting role to Mary the Mother of Jesus, noting her as a concerned onlooker with Mary, “But Mary Magdalene and the other Mary remained sitting there, facing the tomb”(Matthew 28). The Gospel of John provides Mary with a substantiated role, stating the risen lord first appeared to Mary Magdalene, issuing her with the orders to spread the word to the other disciplines. Thus Mary Magdalene can be construed as an important woman within the foundation period of Christianity as she was issued with the orders from Jesus to preach to the other disciplines of his resurrection.

good luck

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)