Religion& curiosity-Hinduism anyone? (1 Viewer)

rate this thread

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

pattii

condom endorser
HSC
This thread is just to ask all the Hindi directed individuals out there, out of curiosity what defines your religion vs say christianity or something?

p.s. do not think i am trying to have a go at your religion as i was reading a hindu book and i cannot wrap my head around the concept.

look fwrd to hearing from you

pattii

condom endorser
HSC
why are you prejudice against all religions its not like their particular god
Massacred 'thy' family or if your not close to them your friends?

pattii

condom endorser
HSC
zimmerman8k said:
i know. i dont hate them personally, i just pitty the fools.

what makes them fools? that they belive there is a higher entity and this gives them purpose

pattii

condom endorser
HSC
zimmerman8k said:
lol. did i not just say

I think they are foolish because they are believing in something there is no tangible evidence to support. In any other context most people would consider this foolish, but religion seems to be entitled to some sort of exemption.
would u call it a theory then?

pattii

condom endorser
HSC
kols_kebabs said:
There's a pantheon I believe. This thread really needs more hindu input,
lol sorry i started this thread to gain more insight on hindu i am a catholic but dont really follow so all my input will be from a catholic perspective, i only have basics on hinduism and want to learn more

pattii

condom endorser
HSC
zimmerman8k said:
of course, just about any half baked idea can be called a theory.

i have a theory that cats are our intellectual superiors, but can never reveal their superiour intelligence and instead communicate telepathically with each other, acting as our silent protectors. yes its a theory. its also fucking stupid.
so besides the topic of disscussion then theorys that have defined the world's perspective would also be called stupid in your opinion?
-darwin
-the big bang
-cell
theese are all 'fucking stupid'?

pattii

condom endorser
HSC
lol dont get me wrong im not trying to convert you
as wlel as my intrest in hinduism among others, you propose a interesting view on religion i was trying to understand where you are coming from

=]

cherry-toes

hunger strike
HSC
zimmerman8k said:
lol. did i not just say

I think they are foolish because they are believing in something there is no tangible evidence to support. In any other context most people would consider this foolish, but religion seems to be entitled to some sort of exemption.
heya zimmerman, you should realise that each actual civilised society has its own religion and that they are made to answer the unaswerable questions of human existence such as is there life after death, what is death and how did we come into existence and how did the world come into existence. Science has an explanation for only two of those, while there are a variety of extremely old religoins, such as hindiusm, christianity, aboriginal dream time and ancient tribal religions which believed in pantheon of gods, like ancient rome, greece, egypt and mitanni etc etc.
so your entitled to your opinion about religions having no substantial fact but you should research it a bit more, at least its a wiser and more appropriate way of making a decision on something.

and, im sure theres lots of fact that you can find in relation to religions, such as in christianity a jesus did actually exist, and you have a huge impact of this character on the world, can everyone just be stupid enough to believe something that they personally dont believe?

sorry bout the speech

cherry-toes

hunger strike
HSC
heylo pattii, im not hindu myself but im studying it in my studies of religion course, so ill try and help you out with the whole hindu thing, while also studying for my assessment on it tomorrow. sorry if i dont help though.
Anyway from what i know it was introduced by aryan (ancient asia i think? not sure though) invaders of india in i think 1500 bc, its bible is the 'veda' and it like the christian bible, outlines the ideal religious life and the standards, codes of it. but it also outlines the life or existence of the universe. basically its based on a three class strucutre which has semi deteriorated today because of consumerism, capitalism, wars or whatever other reason.
anyways the system is based upon different ceremonial and ritual duties varying from class to class, warrior class being the first class, workers like traders and farmers being the second class and labourers making up the third.

there are three guys at the top of the class system and theyre considered 'twice born' - dont know why, but its probably something to do with a rite and being cleansed or starting a new superior life?

ok and then this class system was sub divided into a series of groups and yknow ghandi? he successfully protested/campaigned against the lowest classes existence, which was as 'untouchables' cause they worked 'impure' tasks.

yaaaaah so i think thats it yeah? thats all i know bout hinduism as a religion ebing formed, but theres also the hinduistic search for a higher sphere of existence and thought. it primarily excludes the conditioning of life with its prejudices and that and its gained through a cycle of births - which is karma. when you attain this sphere you live a beggarly life because youve realised that the world is an illusion and youve become one with the Absolute.

although i cant really tell you what the similarity or difference is between hinduism and christianity cause i still havent read anything about their different gods.

bit long yeh? sorry!

pattii

condom endorser
HSC
cherry-toes said:
heylo pattii, im not hindu myself but im studying it in my studies of religion course, so ill try and help you out with the whole hindu thing, while also studying for my assessment on it tomorrow. sorry if i dont help though.
Anyway from what i know it was introduced by aryan (ancient asia i think? not sure though) invaders of india in i think 1500 bc, its bible is the 'veda' and it like the christian bible, outlines the ideal religious life and the standards, codes of it. but it also outlines the life or existence of the universe. basically its based on a three class strucutre which has semi deteriorated today because of consumerism, capitalism, wars or whatever other reason.
anyways the system is based upon different ceremonial and ritual duties varying from class to class, warrior class being the first class, workers like traders and farmers being the second class and labourers making up the third.

there are three guys at the top of the class system and theyre considered 'twice born' - dont know why, but its probably something to do with a rite and being cleansed or starting a new superior life?

ok and then this class system was sub divided into a series of groups and yknow ghandi? he successfully protested/campaigned against the lowest classes existence, which was as 'untouchables' cause they worked 'impure' tasks.

yaaaaah so i think thats it yeah? thats all i know bout hinduism as a religion ebing formed, but theres also the hinduistic search for a higher sphere of existence and thought. it primarily excludes the conditioning of life with its prejudices and that and its gained through a cycle of births - which is karma. when you attain this sphere you live a beggarly life because youve realised that the world is an illusion and youve become one with the Absolute.

although i cant really tell you what the similarity or difference is between hinduism and christianity cause i still havent read anything about their different gods.

bit long yeh? sorry!

=] thankyou^^clears up heaps of ?? in my head lol
i didnt knw about the three class thing..

fernando

Poo
HSC
N/A
hinduism --> infinite amount of 'gods'
christianity --> one 'god'

pattii

condom endorser
HSC
fernando said:
hinduism --> infinite amount of 'gods'
christianity --> one 'god'
lol i knew that much but they see many god but still they only worship one according to the diff places in india

ahen

Sexy Member
HSC
um cherry-toes was pretty close but not quite accurate with all of it =], i'm not hindu myself i'm agnostic but i come from a hindu family and am studying it for SOR so yeah i'll give you some insight.
hinduism originated a hell of a long time ago , yeah aryans came and it was the ancient religion back then in the indus valley, nothing like it is now but back then it was very much ritual based and they used to believe that sacrificial rites had power OVER the gods.
now it's changed, it's a very philosophical religion and has evolved quite a lot, they have the "Ten Commitments" and some of the basic ones are "ahimsa" - do not harm living beings and..i can't remember the rest.
basically the core beliefs revolve around the concepts of karma, dharma and samsara.
karma - the accumulation of good and bad deeds over time that will lead up to consequences played out in future lives or the current life

dharma - one's role in life eg. you're a doctor your job is to heal so you follow the requirements of your chosen pathways

samsara - is the cycle of eternal rebirth : reincarnation

now the hindus belive that by following your dharma you will be able to accumulate good karma by doing good deeds and being ethical, the more good deeds you do the further it puts you in place of escaping the cycle of samsara or rebirths because that is the ultimate goal of hinduism. Hindus believe that there is ultimately only one god and that is Brahman, all the little deities or gods you see like Vishnu and that, they're just avataras or versions i suppose of god that come down to earth to inspire hindus , kind of like jesus - he wasn't "god" but he had the same kind of effect yeah?
so basically Brahman is the eternal, it is intangible it is universal it is everywhere, it is in everyone's atman (soul) and the soul lives forever, brahman is reality and without brahman there is nothing. that is the belief. hence by breaking free of the rebirth cycle the soul then joins brahman in eternal bliss.
there is no concept of "hell" in hinduism rather one's atman - soul simply continues the cylce of rebirths and sometimes even degenerates to a lower life form such as an animal and is only able to come back up to human form when it is "ready" it is believed that only humans can ascend to be with brahman for they have reached a certain point in the accumulation of good deeds. also hindus then believe that animals have souls and so many of them are vegetarian.

so basically hinduism's ultimate goal is to break free of the rebirth cycle and this can be done through various paths including the path of learning by studying the great texts ( like the bible) such as the Vedas the Upanishads, and The Gita, or through the path of yoga to cleanse the soul, or through pilgrimmage or various paths because it's unique to the individual. but to escape rebirth you have todedicate yourself. most hindus then are the "householder" the lay people who follow rituals and beliefs but aren't too philosophical about it.
i hope this clears things up
pm me if you have any more questions
my trial for this is on monday so its been good revision :D

A High Way Man

all ova da world
HSC
Umm, I'm a Brahmin, which means I'm a part of greatest and most wise caste in all of Hinduism.

So there.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)