Religion in Weimar Republic (1 Viewer)

Viru10

HSC
Hi guys,

I was just wondering whether anyone could give me some information about religion during the period of Weimar government. I need it for for an essay which asks for the extent to which social and cultural life changed.

Thanks

meggo-meggo

HSC
Interesting topic, I've had a similar question but concerning the Nazi reign in Germany rather than during the Weimar Republic. All that we learnt about religion in the Weimar Republic was that it continued as per usual for the major part. Religious freedom was granted in the Constitution. The majority of Germany was either Protestant (North) or Catholic (South). Jewish people in Germany lived without too many worries, but with the rise of anti-semitism with the Nazi party, this changed. The Jewish people were classed by many as part of the 'November Criminals,' from the stab in the back myth, and so anti-semitism existed to an extent from the beginning of the Republic. The Depression hit the Protestant group more harshly due to the general demographic of that group. This led to a raised vote for the Nazi party during the Depression from the Protestant group. That's all that Webb and Dixon and Dennett say on the subject - in the syllabus there is much more of a focus of the effects of Nazi rule on religion and opposition from religious groups to Nazi rule.

cem

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Interesting topic, I've had a similar question but concerning the Nazi reign in Germany rather than during the Weimar Republic. All that we learnt about religion in the Weimar Republic was that it continued as per usual for the major part. Religious freedom was granted in the Constitution. The majority of Germany was either Protestant (North) or Catholic (South). Jewish people in Germany lived without too many worries, but with the rise of anti-semitism with the Nazi party, this changed. The Jewish people were classed by many as part of the 'November Criminals,' from the stab in the back myth, and so anti-semitism existed to an extent from the beginning of the Republic. The Depression hit the Protestant group more harshly due to the general demographic of that group. This led to a raised vote for the Nazi party during the Depression from the Protestant group. That's all that Webb and Dixon and Dennett say on the subject - in the syllabus there is much more of a focus of the effects of Nazi rule on religion and opposition from religious groups to Nazi rule.
Just one note - anti-semitism was widespread in Europe long before the 20th C. However, the events of the early 20th C brought it into greater focus.

meggo-meggo

HSC
Just one note - anti-semitism was widespread in Europe long before the 20th C. However, the events of the early 20th C brought it into greater focus.
yep, most definitely. the jews seem to be the scapegoat for many historical woes. studying history and memory in advanced english alongside this topic was really enlightening - looking at the history of the Jewish people along with the development of their literature.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)