Religion is a dynamic living reality. Could someone pls clarify this for me? (1 Viewer)

HSC
Hey guys,
I was just wondering if any SOR 1 students could help me to understand what it means when it is said that religion is a dynamic living reality? Could I please have it explained word by word and in very simple language with detail.

It would be of great help.

Kind regards,
Sanjana
Student in Year 11 who has started SOR1 course

jack04

HSC
N/A
Hi Sanjana,
Our teacher actually went through this today if what you are referring to is religion as a living religious tradition.
Put simply this means that religions can only survive or 'live' if they make themselves relevant to today's society. This means that they have to adapt in order to suit our spiritual needs today. For example, rock music or something like that makes religion dynamic as it still celebrates the core beliefs through song but in a way which appeals to people today. The main takeaway is that in order to be a dynamic living reality, religions must be relevant to their adherents and give them a sense of meaning which is fulfilling in today's changing world.
Hope that helps!

HSC
Thanks for your help:) Could you please tell me what "dynamic", "living" and "religion" mean together by explaining each word?

dwades

HSC
A "living and dynamic religion" is a way to describe how religions constantly revitalise their interpretations of central beliefs and traditions based on the cultural and social contexts in which adherents live, whilst still maintaining the importance of those beliefs and traditions.

For example, in Saudi Arabia a woman would be required by law to cover their full body in an abaya and hijab. In Australia, there is no legal requirements on how a woman must dress, however most still cover their body to some extent, albeit less so than in Saudi Arabia, because of how they interpret their religion. In both countries, the idea that women must cover their bodies is taken into account, however it varies depending on the social and cultural context in which adherents live and how adherents of Islam interpret sharia law in the two different countries.

This is an example of a living and dynamic religion - people's interpretations of the religions central beliefs change depending on the cultural context in which adherents live. It is "living" because it is considered alive and active. It is "dynamic" because it is constantly changing and progressing, depending on the context in which adherents live.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)