Votes: 5 11.9%
  • Yes in other combos

Votes: 5 11.9%
  • No in other combos

Votes: 4 9.5%

• Total voters

RTTTYTR

HSC
I have heard arguments from both sides on this, but would like to get your perspective on it. Is it possible for people from different relgions, cultures, races, etc to have a proper relationship and longterm one?

I'll give some examples:

1) Jewish & Muslim
2) Jewish & Caucausian (say Christian)
3) Jewish & Athiest
4) Muslim & Christian
5) Muslim & Athiest
6) Buddhist & Hindu
7) You get the point.

RTTTYTR

HSC
Last edited:

eternalparadise

HSC
N/A
Re: Inter-racial Relationships

whichever way - race/religion - people would have different values. sure it might be okay... but a long term thing? i dont think it could ever work.

RTTTYTR

HSC

Bookie said:
since when was "Jewish" a nationality?

If youre talking about Israel, well thats not even listed as a religious state.
Israeli's are generally accepted as being Jewish, as it was created as the Jewish state

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC

more like inter-faithful relationships

RTTTYTR

HSC

eternalparadise said:
whichever way - race/religion - people would have different values. sure it might be okay... but a long term thing? i dont think it could ever work.
Yeah you got what I was on about, cultures are often conflicting as is religion. Many perplexities to the situation, like what religion and culture to bring offspring up in, the views of the parents and family, views on the Middle East situation (would be to do mostly in relationships between Jews and Muslims). Sure a shirt term fling would probably work fine, but long-term to marriage, another issue all together.

Those that say yes in all situations, Ild like to hear why. I would like to think its possible, but im thinking that the conflict between these people of strong faith would be to great. For instance, A christian accepts Chirst as the Messiah & anyone that doesnt as being evil/anti-christians/etc how would they have a relationship with other religions? Let alone a satanist and Christian.)

Last edited:

dodgyfilokid

HSC

i know this might be a bit off the topic but im goin out with a girl whose from uniting church and is south african..it didnt matter to us anyway since we dont let it affect the way we see each other.

Season

HSC
If both families/people are strongly commited to their religions then yes it will be a huge problem ie church. Who goes where and why.

Most religions say that belief is bigger then everything else, including relationships we form with other people. Such things like 'this is the only way, everything else is wrong, and if you don't believe then you'll go to hell'

So each partner would probably having a hard time loving the other if they truly believed they were going to go to hell. Also there are small clashes along the way culture wise. For example in general the Islam faith looks down on women, and they have extremly strict rules to obey. Like no man is allowed to see their legs except family and husband.

Even small things like saying grace over a table and the rules dictating how a family should act clash.

I'm not saying they shouldn't be or anything, but the fact is, if they are both strong (if they don't care nothing matters) in their beliefs then there's very little chance that it would work out. They could easily be friends, but being married is an entirely different matter.

hiphophooray123

Twisted firestarter
HSC
If down syndrome and stupidity didn't exist, then 'yes in all cases.'

Otherwise there will always be idiots who oppose a relationship between those of different religions.

LynH1326

HSC

RTTTYTR said:
True, except for the Jewish, which is different with it being a nationality and a religion , and race/religion is often intricately linked.
There is a differenece between being Jewish and living in Israel. Those who are Jewish are from the religion. Those who live in Israel are not jewish, they are Israeli, and Jeudaism is the official religion not the name of those who live in the country.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
I am an athiest and for me the answer is definately not. Under no circumstances would I stay in a long term relationship with someone who was religious.

PrettyVacant

HSC
iamsickofyear12 said:
I am an athiest and for me the answer is definately not. Under no circumstances would I stay in a long term relationship with someone who was religious.
I'm an atheist too, and it would be pretty hard to sustain a relationship with someone really religious because their views would get in the way, and there is always that feeling that somehow they're judging you because you aren't religious. Avoiding the topic of religion would be hard if it made up such a large part of their life, and confronting the issue would just be awkward.
And I wouldn't convert to a religion just because my lover was associated with one.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC

LynH1326 said:
There is a differenece between being Jewish and living in Israel. Those who are Jewish are from the religion. Those who live in Israel are not jewish, they are Israeli, and Jeudaism is the official religion not the name of those who live in the country.
I'm sick of people with no idea pretending to be experts on things.

Just shut up.

Dumsum

has a large Member;
HSC
As a christian, I'm totally unsure--the Bible doesn't forbid it ("Do not be yoked together with unbelievers" is grossly misunderstood).
Actually, if you are in a, well, if you're married to a non-christian they're free to divorce you and you're then free to remarry BUT only to a christian.

It's fucked. I vote for having no relationships whatsoever. :) everyone's happier that way.

**Edit: as for other religions, my opinion? I dunno, maybe.

iamsickofyear12

HSC
I am not getting married in a church.
I am not raising any kids I may have as christians or muslims or whatever.
I am not taking part in any religious anything.
I am never praying, or allowing praying in my house.
I am never allowing religion to get in the way of something I want to do.
I would never stay with a girl who was visibly religious.
I am am absolutely never converting to anything.

If a religious girl wants a relationship with me, and is willing to accept all those conditions, then there might possibly be a chance for it to work.

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
PrettyVacant said:
I'm an atheist too, and it would be pretty hard to sustain a relationship with someone really religious because their views would get in the way, and there is always that feeling that somehow they're judging you because you aren't religious. Avoiding the topic of religion would be hard if it made up such a large part of their life, and confronting the issue would just be awkward.
And I wouldn't convert to a religion just because my lover was associated with one.
That's pretty sad to hear, you wouldn't be with someone just because they had a different belief to you on the creation of the universe? (even though both ends have no evidence). Religion isn't something to be fearful of, can you understand that?

Good Luck.

PrettyVacant

HSC
sam04u said:
That's pretty sad to hear, you wouldn't be with someone just because they had a different belief to you on the creation of the universe? (even though both ends have no evidence). Religion isn't something to be fearful of, can you understand that?

Good Luck.
No, it's not just that. Religion isn't as simple as "the creation of the universe". With Religion comes a complete set of rules that the followers choose to follow, well, not rules...let's just call them guidelines and a different set of values that is influenced by their religion.
If our views opposed, then obviously we wouldn't get along, and if we don't get along...well, there's not much chance of a relationship, is there?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)