remember guys, if you fked up your HSC (1 Viewer)

Duxify

HSC
Uni Grad
I can't possibly see why an employer would ask for your ATAR, it is truly is a horrible measure of job suitability. Especially if you consider those jobs that are so 'competitive' that they could theoretically ask you for it, would generally be ones that are academic and require a degree of some sort. Which means that your ATAR would be at least 3 years old, and going back to someones performance 3 years ago would be a horrible indicator of their current academic performance compared to say their uni marks.
Depends what industry you are going into...From my experience, if you are going into something super competitive like finance or law, you will find you def get screened based on your ATAR as well as your uni marks to even get an interview. You will often have to sit psychometric tests as well if you make it past that screening.

Once you get past that screening/HR process its less of an issue, especially when you are being interviewed by someone who actually works in the business. At that point they are just looking for someone they would want to sit next to for 70hours a week.

Duxify

HSC
Uni Grad
How much weighting does your ATAR have at that stage though? If I got an ATAR of 99.5 and I'm competing with someone who got 99.5+, is this going to significantly decrease my chances of getting an interview?
This is all heresay, but generally it is used as a screening tool (they dont tell you the exact numbers obviously). But in general the minimum would be 95+ ATAR and around a distinction average at uni (obviously helps going to a top uni as well). Remember they are getting thousands of applications for only a few jobs so there needs to be some way of cutting down the numbers. Unfortunately this is the reality of the job market.

Once you have an interview nobody cares that much. And after you have a few years experience it matters even less.

I can barely remember what my UAI was. But I remember being asked about it during a few interviews I had early on. Generally they want to see self awareness and if you learn from your mistakes etc...

I got asked "was I happy with the UAI I got". I said after analysing my HSC performance and realised I cost myself 2-3 UAI points by not understanding the HSC process properly... which is true. I think often the difference between 97 and 99+ is understanding the game a bit better and studying smarter.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)