Remembering lines for Drama performance (1 Viewer)

HSC
Uni Grad
So my last Drama assessment of the Preliminary course is group work where we have to do an Australian play, and do selected scenes from it. My group is doing Silent Disco and my part has massive monologues in it. I was wondering what is a good tip to remembering lines?

We do the performance in the second week back of school.

frebbb

HSC
I did drama out of school up until last year, and was in every school play that we hosted. Now, I am known as having an almost-photographic memory, so that probably helps me remember lines, but I think the way I practice should work for anyone.
I read them over and over, out-loud, in one sitting, and then at every spare moment that I have I will say it back to myself (on a train, in the shower, eating dinner, walking down the street, before I go to bed) out-loud or in my head depending on the situation. Eventually it will become second-nature to you. Carry your lines around with you for a while so that you can quickly look at them if you forget a word, but eventually you should be able to know them without any prompts. Perhaps get a family member or friend to take the other roles in the play so that you can practice talking on cue.
Pretty much, it can all be singled down to one word: consistency.
Hope I helped :)

A-Nonentity

HSC
It also helps when you learn it to get your breathing in sync with certain lines, especially with Silent Disco, and actions, because the lines are quite poetic it's pretty easy to get down. But seriously go through and put a tick wherever you should have a breath and it will make it sooo much easier to commit to memory.

frebbb

HSC
Hahaha, that's a really good idea - I always struggled with breathing properly during practices and performances... I never thought of that :p
Definitely take that advice - breathing is really important. ALOT more important than you think - you don't want to be struggling for breath and sounding choked up while speaking, or even worse, passing out!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)