• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Remembering the Veterans - Australian soldiers only? (1 Viewer)

Generator

HSC
N/A
Turks allowed to join Anzac march

Turks allowed to join Anzac march
The World Today - Wednesday, 12 April , 2006 12:41:40
Reporter: Daniel Hoare

ELEANOR HALL: This Anzac Day descendants of Turkish soldiers will for the first time be officially allowed to join in the march of veterans.

Turkish-Australians whose fathers and grandfathers fought at Gallipoli have been defying RSL policy by marching in the Melbourne parade since 1996.

But now they've been given official sanction from Victoria's RSL.

The Victorian President of the RSL cautions though, that the RSL is unlikely green light will ever extend to descendants of German, Japanese, Italian or North Vietnamese soldiers.

Daniel Hoare reports.

DANIEL HOARE: The ruling by the Victorian RSL applies only to descendants of World War I Turkish soldiers.

The Victorian RSL President, Major-General David McLachlan says the Turkish were a very honourable enemy.

DAVID MCLACHLAN: Well the Turkish veterans have marched in the Anzac Day march probably for 10 years now as part of the RSL Turkish sub-branch and that was put in place because of the special relationship between Australia and Turkey over the national icon that we call Gallipoli.

DANIEL HOARE: Victorian RSL President David McLachlan says it's unlikely the policy will ever extend to descendants of other nationalities, such as German or Japanese troops.

DAVID MCLACHLAN: There has never been the question of the Japanese or the Germans wishing to march. It's never been raised and if it were raised, it wouldn't be acceptable to the veteran community in any case.

But…

DANIEL HOARE: Why is it acceptable that the Turkish can march?

DAVID MCLACHLAN: Turkey really accepted the bodies of our Australians that remained in Turkey after the war in those famous words of Ataturk, that they are now our sons.

And I mean that was very soon at the conclusion of that period of time, and that relationship has been built up over the years that the Australians, and you talk to the First World War veterans that were at Gallipoli, always saw the Turkish soldier as he was as being an honourable enemy.

DANIEL HOARE: Do you ever foresee a day where Japanese, German, Italian soldiers might be marching in our parades.

DAVID MCLACHLAN: No.

The Italians march now. I mean the Italian Alpine troops marched on Anzac Day, and they're quite distinctive, but those that fought with the Axis forces we wouldn't see those being admitted to the march, nor indeed would I foresee in the near future or if ever perhaps, the Japanese.

But I think that we've gone on and we, certainly from the RSL's point of view, that we have tried to foster relationships between our country and Japan. We don't want to foist upon the present generations the sins of their fathers in that Second World War.

DANIEL HOARE: Ramazan Altintas is the President of the RSL Turkish sub-branch in Victoria.

He welcomes the decision to officially allow descendants of Turkish soldiers to march in the Anzac Day parade.

But he says the parade should be open to all Australian citizens whose relatives went to war, regardless of the country they fought for.

RAMAZAN ALTINTAS: If Australian citizen should be attending Anzac march, doesn't matter German, doesn't matter Japan, because as you know, when someone becomes an Australian citizen they swear that if anything happen, I am defence to Australia, (inaudible).

DANIEL HOARE: So once you're an Australian citizen, regardless of whether you are of German, Japanese or Turkish descent, you should be allowed to march?

RAMAZAN ALTINTAS: Of course.

ELEANOR HALL: Ramazan Altintas, the President of the Turkish sub-branch of Victoria's RSL speaking to Daniel Hoare.
So, is there merit in the Victorian RSL's decision to officially recognise the descendents of Turkish soliders who have been a part Melbourne's ANZAC Day march for some time? Should this recognition be extended, at some point, to all Australian citisens whose relatives went to war, regardless of the country they fought for?

BronwynKate

HSC
Yes, I do think so.

Even enemies, because many Australians are refugees.

I can't wait until we recognise the Iraqis as part of Anzac Day.

And the Turkish guy is right. I love the way he put it. We do agree to defend Australia no matter where we come from.

My Grandad fought in World War 2 in the Pacific and Middle Eastern theatres, so I do feel strongly about this.

And isn't Daniel so much nicer than Bruce Ruxton?

loquasagacious

NCAP Mooderator
HSC
I would suggest that others aren't going to be interested in marching...

As far as an opinion, its a tricky one but no I don't think others should be marching - afterall they fought against us. By all means if their descendents subsequently fought on our side then they would be welcome.

I think Turkey is a very special exclusion from this because of the nature of the conflict and post-conflict changes within countries and our relationship with them.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
The Turks won, genius.

Anyway, I had relatives on my father's side who fought in the Boer War, Boxer Rebellion, WWI including Gallipoli and WWII including Tobruk.
But I also had relatives on my Mother's side who were German soldiers, and step-relatives who were actually Nazis.

I don't think it should be "extended, at some point, to all Australian citisens whose relatives went to war, regardless of the country they fought for". The point of the day is to remember Australians who fought for this country. But people of any background should be free to do so.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
volition said:
Yeah, australian+NZ soldiers only at the ANZAC march i reckon
What about other countries that fought along side us. Such as the USA in world war II in the pacific theatre?

volition

arr.
HSC
hmm.... fair enough i guess, there wouldn't be that many americans in australia anyway

sarevok

HSC
Generator said:
Should this recognition be extended, at some point, to all Australian citisens whose relatives went to war, regardless of the country they fought for?
I think that would be nice as recognition that the past animosities are over; a gesture of solidarity with our previous enemies. But I don't if we're ready for that yet. In any case, the decision should rest with the Australian veterans and their descendants.

Frogurt

HSC
For me this is a matter about remembering the price of war, not the glorification nor anything else that seems to pop up that paints the day in a negative light.

i think that it should be those who have fought and died for Australia, and having said this i don't wish to detract the sacrifice of others in any way i just believe that there are times and places to acknowledge the sacrifices made and that on this particular day we are recognising what individuals have done for the nation of Australia.

whilst our allies may have assisted in protecting Australia, they were there for their country.

all people who have fallen in combat or who have served should have their actions recgnised and acknowledged but ANZAC day are for those within the ADF and the NZ Defence Force.

X

xeuyrawp

BronwynKate said:
"No normal German would ever dare" - wikiwiki, what do you mean by this?
It's pretty straight-forward... No German would ever dare to march in an Anzac Day parade, wearing his/her medals and uniform - celebrating his/her participation in the most terrible government of all time.

Germans generally want to dissociate themselves of Nazism.

stalk_if_u_dare

cheese hater
HSC
Turks allowed to march in ANZAC parade...why not the Germans?

I think its alittle unfair that Turks get to march in the Parade but the Germans or Japanese not get to march. I know its meant to be ANZAC (Australia & New Zealand) but the RSL is allowing the Turks to march..which is understandble cos Australia & Turkey has a special relationship.

Its just what annoys me is that the RSL wont let the other ppl who were on the enemy's side to march..they were fighting for their country, as we did. & some were forced (conscripted). I dunno, its alittle unfair.

but what do u think? Also, do u support ANZAC day? I know a family friend doesnt....i dont know why, I didnt want to ask

LEST WE FORGET

(oh yeah, i was going to put a link up on about it, but i couldnt find one!)

Last edited:

Kabeio

k.
HSC
Re: Turks allowed to march in ANZAC parade...why not the Germans?

Yes i support ANZAC day, no i dont do anything to show i support it,
Yes the nazis shouldnt be allowed to march

Gangels

HSC

Cause of gallipoli and whenever people think of WW1 they think of that, then the Turks. They dont relate anything else to WW1, even though so many more worse things happened in the war.

stalk_if_u_dare

cheese hater
HSC

Gangels said:
Cause of gallipoli and whenever people think of WW1 they think of that, then the Turks. They dont relate anything else to WW1, even though so many more worse things happened in the war.
yes, but im also talking about both wars..The Great War & WWII.

Gangels

HSC

stalk_if_u_dare said:
yes, but im also talking about both wars..The Great War & WWII.
Yes but when people think of the anzacs, they think gallipoli and nothing else. First aussie war movie made and it was a huge tragedy and yadda yadda yadda, its just how people relate it.

stalk_if_u_dare

cheese hater
HSC

Gangels said:
Yes but when people think of the anzacs, they think gallipoli and nothing else. First aussie war movie made and it was a huge tragedy and yadda yadda yadda, its just how people relate it.
yeah, that just shows how stupid some people are......silly ppl...need to bash theirs head about until THEY LEARN!! lolz

oh oh oh!! also...Germans fought in The Great War too.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)