Reminicing (1 Viewer)

Counterfeit

HSC
heheh i just found my first project for yr 11 ahahhaa far out it was SHIT, theres no other way to put it.

I remember yr 11 art, we were all so scared of doing anything bold, terrified of what everyone would think, petrified of pushing the boundaries and creating our own styles...

I went from being quite good at expressing my self through art i did at home to not knowing how to do anything besides meaningless cartoon-like characters with pretty colours at school, it was like kindergarten work!

I used to hate art, and the ridiculous practical assesments we were given (draw 5 animals that represent you etc) little tasks that tried to aid out self exploration in vain, as they judged us in the most mathemantical ways. It was only after these petty tasks were taken away that we got anythere. That we were free to actually be our selves.
And we thrived

In just under one long year we got over it, and we were soon pushing each other, getting bigger, bolder, more adventurous and in-your-face with every art work.

art should just be about providing the medium for students to express them selves, rather than trying to force them on that journey in the most superficial way.

Half way through yr 12 however we all got bogged down once again.. terror-stricken and consumed by the fact that our works were to be marked, that the BOS had certain criteria that we had to comply with in order to achieve a good mark, and we went backwards again. down down down.
Going back to what was safe, so it wasnt personal, so if we failed we wouldnt get hurt...

Some people never recovered from the fear of being judged, marked, picked on, pulled apart, having their sole analyzed. So they provided works they were completely detatched from.
Some were all cheap tricks to try draw attention.
Some were a balanced mix of "emotion" and calculated operation.
Some defied the BOS and made their artworks as deliberatly vulgar, violent and abusive as possible, without breaking the stupid ruled they had placed upon us, dictating what was acceptable.
Some just gave up emotionally and produced works that were nice to look at, filled with technical skill, but nothing more.
But somehow for everyone all the joy was gone. The passion had dissipated...

What was your adventure through HSC Visual Arts like?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)