Removal of Softball and Baseball from Olympics (1 Viewer)

Aznmichael92

HSC
hey i know this is a long time ago but do you guys think that baseball and softball should be removed from the olympics? In my opinion I do not think so as one reason they suggested is too one sided. If baseball is one sided which it isnt, isnt badminton and table tennis pretty one sided as well?

I enjoy watching the sport so it would be sad to see it disappear

Dr_Fresh

U MAD??
HSC
N/A
softball has already been excluded from the 2012 olympics in london. but i dont see y it should be tho...

beksta21

HSC
I play rep softball, and it would have been my dream to play there.
I could go on forever about it...

Want to so something about it?
Go to softball.net.au and follow the links to sign the petition to get it back in :)

Leo 100

HSC
N/A
why would they ban that... at least u can see the ball

ever watched ping pong... cause you really cant
wheres the ball?

Numquamtededam

HSC
It's ludicrous for them to be Olympic sport, although individually they're quite different cases:

1. Baseball does have a small degree of world-wide popularity (with the emphasis on the 'small', given that the 'world' series is between two American sides :p), but given that none of the major league clubs give up a single player, the standard is far too low to justify their presence in the Olympic games. This in comparison to sports of greater worldwide popularity (rugby, cricket, golf), who are not in the Olympics - and part of their campaign for inclusion is that, unlike Baseball, they would guarantee that all (not none) of the elite players would be there.

2. The best softball players are at the Olympics - but it's simply not a popular enough sport wordlwide. In Australia it's an absolute minority sport (perhaps the 10th most popular at best - certainly less popular than cricket, both rugbys, soccer, tennis, b'ball, netball, swimming, aussie rules...the list goes on) - and yet apparently we're one of the three best Softball nations in the world (along with the Japs and Yanks)...showing that it's even less popular in the rest of the world, and in a big way.

Badminton and Ping-Pong have a lot better reason to be there. They command great popularity in SE Asia...I would say Ping-Pong would be about as popular in Australia as softball is...and yet worldwide we are a Ping-Pong minnow...showing a much greater worldwide relevance. The IOC makes a lot of questionable decisions; this is not one.

TCCPICHAMP

HSC
good work, thanks to the dude who dissed ping pong & badmitton, now the asians are pissed, LOL
I dont really care that baseball is gone, I play baseball, but, there is the world baseball classic every 3 yrs or wateva, with the Major Leaguers playn, but yer, it is unfortunate for softball.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)