removal of time limits on exams (1 Viewer)

shortseptember

HSC
I think there should be a time limit because its not only testing knowledge, but being able to think quickly and perform under ressure. Its basically an aptitude test for uni.

emilyo

apathetic member
HSC
nice thought but would never work. In humanities subjects and anything with an essay response people would still be writing and editing when the next exam was starting. And then at marking centers it would take so much longer to mark respones that take up 8 writing booklets when they probably got the general idea of the kids mark after about a page

C-BAS

HSC
No time limit..... it will never happen.

I don't really give a shit though, I'm done in a few days. Hell, reduce the time limits for the exams, I don't care, it's not going to be my problem! lololol

annabackwards

<3 Prophet 9
HSC
I think there should be a time limit because its not only testing knowledge, but being able to think quickly and perform under ressure. Its basically an aptitude test for uni.
+1

Except it's more like a "who doesn't crack under pressure and can regurgitate/apply memorised info to answer questions the best" test XD

LordPc

HSC
Im sure you all realise it would just be horror to implement.

as it stands, we have the 3 hour exam from 9-12ish, then the break, then another exam in the afternoon, from memory these finish quite late, 5ish. im not sure but I think it takes 3 weeks to get all the hsc exams done.

what you are suggesting will basically double that time, meaning the hsc will take 6 weeks (since you obviously cant hold 2 exams in one day). furthermore the hsc will take longer to mark. I think you can safely assume that with no time limit, people will write more for each exam. multiply that by 5 exams (at least) and I think we are looking at the hsc marking process taking a lot longer. I would estimate the increase being in the area of 10-25%

factoring that in with the 6 week exam period and we have a hsc that will finish much later than usual. its just not really that practical.

I would love it if we could have unlimited testing time. i also wouldnt mind it if we had 2 exams (in most subjects, even at uni, a large portion of material isnt tested) so that you are examined on everything or almost everything. but its just not going to happen

and my apologies annabackwards and shortseptember but outside of a crazy gameshow setting, I dont think you will ever have to perform under pressure as you would in the hsc. pressure just comes from lack of preparation, and in life you are always given time to prepare

untouchablecuz

HSC
and my apologies annabackwards and shortseptember but outside of a crazy gameshow setting, I dont think you will ever have to perform under pressure as you would in the hsc. pressure just comes from lack of preparation, and in life you are always given time to prepare
take a penalty, then tell me that.

: p

LordPc

HSC
join the army, then tell me that.
pffff, exactly my point

if you had prepared enough in your life, you could make something of yourself and do something you enjoy, rather than join the army and live a life of violence

take a penalty, then tell me that.

: p
haha, you know Ive never actually taken one in a competitive match, despite being in a few shootouts. but I've practiced, I know the ball belongs in the net, I'm sure I can send him home.

Teclis

The White Tower of Hoeth, Saphery, Ulthuan
HSC
pffff, exactly my point

if you had prepared enough in your life, you could make something of yourself and do something you enjoy, rather than join the army and live a life of violence
No... shut up you're a fucking moron.

There are many situations where you are under time pressure.
"Jim, we just got this high level request, can you write a report on this for tomorrow"...

"Ah no, because I need at least 4 hours to prepare solid points then 3 for each point..."

"You're fired..."

Try working in any sort of advertising, Government, legal etc framework where you don't have the time to sit down and prepare answers. You have to do your job very quickly and make super efficient use of your time.

I love how you claim as a 1 year out of school student that these situations do not occur in real life, when some of us have already experiend real situations like this.

And your point about the army is ridiculous. What if you get joy out of knowing that doing your job means that the men, women and children of your country can rest comfortably in their beds without having to worry... same as if you joined the police force. My cousin joined the army and did computer science. He now works for the government with Top Secret clearance doing defense and treasury network security... and he loves it.

There are actually probably just as many people with highly skilled, not combatant roles in the army as there are footsoldiers...

LordPc

HSC
No... shut up you're a fucking moron.

There are many situations where you are under time pressure.
"Jim, we just got this high level request, can you write a report on this for tomorrow"...

"Ah no, because I need at least 4 hours to prepare solid points then 3 for each point..."

"You're fired..."

Try working in any sort of advertising, Government, legal etc framework where you don't have the time to sit down and prepare answers. You have to do your job very quickly and make super efficient use of your time.
will I ever work in advertising, government, legal, etc? no. I am choosing to study something I enjoy. if you enjoy advertising and all that comes with it, then all the power to you, go and have fun.

I love how you claim as a 1 year out of school student that these situations do not occur in real life, when some of us have already experiend real situations like this.
cmon, be serious. they dont occur if you prepare.

take your example of the points or whatever it was. firstly, if you got a "high level request" then surely some knowledge about this was known before today. and if it really was such a "high level request" then there would have been some sort of work already in motion. that would be good planning. the situation you have presented has only come about cause some idiot at the top has decided to with hold information about the potential deal and slap down a 24 hour deadline.

(the only situation I can think of where you need to think under pressure is something criminal, eg when you are being mugged. but these arent things you can really control and certainly things that cannot be enhanced through hsc examinations)

And your point about the army is ridiculous. What if you get joy out of knowing that doing your job means that the men, women and children of your country can rest comfortably in their beds without having to worry... same as if you joined the police force. My cousin joined the army and did computer science. He now works for the government with Top Secret clearance doing defense and treasury network security... and he loves it.

There are actually probably just as many people with highly skilled, not combatant roles in the army as there are footsoldiers...
again, if you want to fight in the army then go ahead. I know a few friends that went down that route, it was their choice. but if they chose to fight in the army, then they choose to be involved in those high pressure situations

(and please dont insult me. if you have a problem with my argument then attack the argument. dont substitute personal attacks against me for attacks against flaws in my argument. when did you ever hear Barack Obama say "Dont listen to John McCain. He is old and fat"?)

LordPc

HSC
get fucked - it's harder to become an officer than it is to get into uni and get a job - because they only take people who have certain qualities/personality/skills.

EDIT: it actually requires a lot more preparation to join the adf than to go straight to uni
Im not talking about people that want to join the army more than anything else, and Im not comparing joining a uni and joining ADFA

(lol, this has gotten out of hand. open up a thread somewhere else and send me the link if you would like to debate the topic further.)

shady145

Banned
HSC
Im not talking about people that want to join the army more than anything else, and Im not comparing joining a uni and joining ADFA

(lol, this has gotten out of hand. open up a thread somewhere else and send me the link if you would like to debate the topic further.)
why, no one agrees with you.

-may-cat-

Tired Member
HSC
Are you serious man, what pressure? Any kind of pressure i felt during the HSC has been dwarfed by the pressure i feel at uni, after having moved out etc. I just don't think the HSC exams are that stressful.

ajay12

Can count to potato
HSC
This is the worst idea I have heard in my life. Please do not suggest any more ideas that have not been thoroughly thought over.

wixxy2348

goldmambo #5.
HSC
but i think the use of time limit is to distinguish the people who know their information right off to those who have to think harder to try search for the info
This.
The purpose of imposing a time limit is to identify those who are able to address the questions in a concise way, whilst meeting all the requirements. That in itself is as much of a skill as simply learning the information.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
'hey boss can i have an unlimited time to do the design you sent me? i mean i can show you everything i know and hopefully a part of the knowledge is right and score brownie points, OR i can just stfu and do it to the best of my ability in which you can judge me on my performance under pressure within a time constraint'

which fuckin idiot actually thought this was a good idea?

Teclis

The White Tower of Hoeth, Saphery, Ulthuan
HSC
'hey boss can i have an unlimited time to do the design you sent me? i mean i can show you everything i know and hopefully a part of the knowledge is right and score brownie points, OR i can just stfu and do it to the best of my ability in which you can judge me on my performance under pressure within a time constraint'

which fuckin idiot actually thought this was a good idea?
Kind of my point...

Advertising, Architecture, medicine (before they die or get worse), journalism, graphic design, music, law, art on commission, hospitality, retail management, accounting... they all work under time pressure.

tommykins

i am number -e^i*pi
HSC
i think the main idea lord was getting at is - if you're good at what you do/know your shit, time shouldn't be that much of a pressure to you and hence you wouldn't require 'extended' working time.

chuha

HSC
N/A
i think its fine as it is with time limits.
having no time limits defeats the actual
purpose of an exam, which is supposed to
test your knowledge and ability in the
particular subject.

Having no time limits in an exam such as english,
would make people write endlessly, which towards the
end would be rediculous repetition of the question and
the main focus points.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)