Rene's just gone down... (1 Viewer)

Bimbo

Southern Girl
Rene Rivkin has just been sentenced to 9months periodic detention and a $30000 fine on insider trading charges. I'm just curious to know what people think- was he guilty or not?

big_will08

hmm it doesnt matter

anybody seen the movie "cradle to the grave"? Rene Rivkin is gonna be the FatCat who is in jail in the movie! just white

marsenal

cHeAp bOoKs
Considering he made like $400 on it, and assuming it is all true, I don't believe the sentence is right. I mean seriesly, don't the courts have better things to do! If they get him on a $400 thing, then shouldn't they also be chasing up all those other people, who make a lot more than $400 on insider trading and things a lot worse. I think this is a sad day for our justice system (not that it hasn't had enough of late. Probably someone just had it in for Rene, and wanted to see to it that he went down.

bobo123

HSC
they wanted to make an example out of someone for a while now

oh well badluck

Bimbo

Southern Girl
i agree, i think they just wanted to make an example of somebody. 9 months of weekend detention seems very harsh, i think that a lot of people wanted to see him go down like this just because he's wealthy. the fact that he might have his stockbrokers license taken away is pretty stupid, i really think that after this, he will have been punished enough for what was only a very minor offence.

Bimbo

Southern Girl
i'm not saying that i don't think he's guilty, but i think the penalties he's gotten are too harsh. If had had made like $1000000 profit from the trade, then i'd say sure give him weekend detention. But $400? that's a joke.

Bimbo

Southern Girl
that's it hon...ok i will say it now

YOU ARE RIGHT AND I AM WRONG!!!!!!

Happy now?

;)

marsenal

cHeAp bOoKs
Originally posted by Cyph
Maybe they've given him a heftier sentence because they reckon he's guilty of other stuff as well they haven't been able to convict him of?
Even if they think that, it is completely ridiculous to give him a heftier fine/sentence then is warranted. AFAIK that's not how it's supposed to work... but I do have a feeling you were being sarcastic, becuase otherwise your post is just wrong.

bobo123

HSC
If someone tries to kill someone, but doesn't succeed, does it mean they should get a penalty less harsh than someone who successfully kills someone?

theres a difference between attempted murder and murder

bobo123

HSC
moral justice does not equal legal justice
and in rivkin's case, his morals were not on trial
so he got jipped

yeahyeahyeahs

I cant bring myself to reading the papers...the first article i read was absolute BS...I agree that they were trying to make an example of someone which imo is just wrong and injustified.

timmii

sporadic attendee
I think it's more the principal of the matter rather than the severity of the offence?

Maybe they've given him a heftier sentence because they reckon he's guilty of other stuff as well they haven't been able to convict him of?
The legal system is supposed to convict you on what you *are* found guilty of, not what you're not...

Hmmm if rivkin got this for $400, adler, williams, rich and keeling etc are in for capital punishment?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)