renewable resources (1 Viewer)

HSC
is it wrong if i put 'apples' as an example....its renewable and it can be used to make goods, so dont think its wrong, just wanna see wat uz think? lol

Tabris

HSC
Do we HAVE to give an example

I wrote

They are resources which can be replenshed within a relatively short period of time and any use will have little detriment to its future availibility

I didnt put an example, seeing how it didnt ask for one

is it ok?

sgt

i used fish as an example.....defining non-renewable resource as ahh.....resrouce able to be regenerated if given time to ....and some other crap like that...

sgt

your right tabris, it didn't specify an example......so you should still get 2/2 with a good answer.......

Rorix

HSC
they want to see two marks worth, and an example sure can't hurt so:)

Mannix

HSC
lol hmm didnt think my definition of "resources which have the ability to be regenerated" was good enough

ematouk

everyone knows the easiest renewable resource to include is oxygen... it replenishes 24/7.

Dam, I wish i had thought of ethanol in the exam... good on you, nice thinking under pressure. I usually associate ethanol as renewable for chemistry and oxygen as renewable for economics. Its good u use integrated knowledge across subjects.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
A renewable resource is a non-rival good and thus, the maximum possible utility that can be gained from the good isn't diminished by its consumption by one individual (i.e.: many people can use the good and derive the same benefit). However, if poorly managed these resources can become non-renewable.

S

Shuter

neo_o said:
A renewable resource is a non-rival good and thus, the maximum possible utility that can be gained from the good isn't diminished by its consumption by one individual (i.e.: many people can use the good and derive the same benefit). However, if poorly managed these resources can become non-renewable.
lol, that's a public good.

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Shuter said:
lol, that's a public good.
No, a public good is non rival and non excludable.

Or do you think that solar power stations compete with each other for a limited supply of solar energy? :p

Last edited:
S

Shuter

neo_o said:
No, a public good is non rival and non excludable.

Or do you think that solar power stations compete with each other for a limited supply of solar energy? :p
Seemed like a merger of the two to me. I'd say your example of solar power is a non-depleting resource, rather than a renewable one.

And a renewable resource can be a rival good can't it? You can be bidding to own the section of land good for growing a plantation forest. I thought the keypoint of a renewable resource was that it can be used indefinatly if allowed time to regenerate, I didn't think it was specific to rival and non rival.

Last edited by a moderator:

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
Shuter said:
Seemed like a merger of the two to me. I'd say your example of solar power is a non-depleting resource, rather than a renewable one.

And a renewable resource can be a rival good can't it? You can be bidding to own the section of land good for growing a plantation forest. I thought the keypoint of a renewable resource was that it can be used indefinatly if allowed time to regenerate, I didn't think it was specific to rival and non rival.
They key point is that a renewable resource can be sustained despite usage (i.e.: what i said about utility). Renewable resources are usually biological resources, which are public goods anyway, so it works :p.

ematouk

Shuter said:

no, actually he is 100% correct. A renewable resource is non-rival and non-excludable just like a public good. In fact if u look it up in the text book, it says it in the definition... Also you needed to say something about the replenishing rate being faster then the consumption rate as defining a renewable good, as this is what seperates it from a public good. (dont worry you would be correct if you were remotely correct, they are not harsh markers, u dont need the exact definition from the text book word for word to be correct)

it was a 2 mark question... meaning it is 1 mark for the definition and 1 mark for a characteristic of a renewable resource / an example / the use of renewable resources.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)