Renting (1 Viewer)

HSC
How hard/easy is it for 2 (going to be) first year university students to rent in Sydney, knowing that neither of us have any rent history and we are 2 18 year olds. A lot of people have told me that finding a place that will rent to you is near impossible, is this true? And if so any tips?

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Do you have decent jobs? Stable income? Cash reserves? etc...

The other thing you'll have working against you both is you're young. Take it how you will but the reality is some agents/landlords will see that as a red flag especially when it comes to things like maintenance, not damaging things, understanding who is responsible for what (and whether you can pay for your bits if needed), cleaning, etc...

Honestly as a landlord, I wouldn't rent to you unless you could clearly demonstrate that you could afford the rent and if there was any doubt, I'd even ask you to prepay the entire lease upfront (which I've done before for someone who had no background/history).

You may have better luck renting a room or something off the university noticeboard or social media than through the Domain/RealEstate.com.au type channels.

Katsumi

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
HSC
N/A
I’ve never had trouble. My history is as follows

19 with a net income of $600 per fortnight (Room in share house)
20 with a net income of $1650 per fortnight (Studio apartment)
21 with a net income of $2050 per fortnight (One bedroom apartment

Gumtree and Flatmates are nice. There is some real up market student accomodation out there as well, many not even tied to a specific university. Mirroring what was mentioned above, sites like Domain never took me seriously.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)