Rep of uni matter in accounting? (1 Viewer)

Cookie182

Individui Superiore
HSC
N/A
Just looking at accounting as a possible field seems interesting with good prospects, but obviously a lot of competition. Coming from the South Coast, UOW was my closest option (currently do com/law) but dont enjoy law, so definately looking into the business field. As i dont live in syd or go to UTS/UNSW/USYD (got the UAI though to get in there), its kinda hard to go for cadetships etc, so i will have to to maybe try for the big 4 as a graduate.

Is commerce (accounting) considered respectable at UOW? What do the big 4 look for in grad recruitment process (this has probably been answered eslewhere i know)?

Should i leave law and pick up a double major like commerce (accounting/finance or accounting/economics)? Or arent firms really that concerned with WHAT ELSE uve studied, as long as u major in accounting.

any help appreciated

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
Cookie182 said:
Just looking at accounting as a possible field seems interesting with good prospects, but obviously a lot of competition. Coming from the South Coast, UOW was my closest option (currently do com/law) but dont enjoy law, so definately looking into the business field. As i dont live in syd or go to UTS/UNSW/USYD (got the UAI though to get in there), its kinda hard to go for cadetships etc, so i will have to to maybe try for the big 4 as a graduate.

Is commerce (accounting) considered respectable at UOW? What do the big 4 look for in grad recruitment process (this has probably been answered eslewhere i know)?

Should i leave law and pick up a double major like commerce (accounting/finance or accounting/economics)? Or arent firms really that concerned with WHAT ELSE uve studied, as long as u major in accounting.

any help appreciated
In my experience, UNSW and USYD sit at the top for respectability in the commerce(accounting) field in Sydney. Once you get outside of those two, and outside immediate Sydney, then they are pretty much all on the same level to employers.

With this in mind, you need to look at more than just good marks when applying for grad positions in Sydney. If you can successfully combine full-time study with some part-time work, and sport/extra curricular activities, and take a genuine interest in the accounting field, then in my experience you stand just as high of a chance as the guys from UNSW/USYD. This isn't a debate about how good the uni's are, there seems a lot more to it these days but you need to push yourself.

Certain Big 4 will have their own individual culture and personality, so you really need to look at which one you think you would fit well with more closer to grad.
For now though, i'd say just concentrate on getting a good understanding of the fundamental principles of accounting, scoring good marks (D's), and looking at what else you can be doing in combination with uni that will teach you skills that these guys are looking for.

If law doesn't fit, then don't waste your time with it. But make sure you talk to your program officer for Commerce before you go through with anything. Tell them where you're at, and where you want to head.

As far as double majors, im doing a Acc/Fin double, and its always beneficial over a single major. However, you'll still need to score just as high marks than if you were doing a single major. But for me, it was the natural choice as I have interests in both accounting and finance, and a lot of the subjects for Finance major were covered by those required for the CA/CPA accreditation.

To end, I guess the days of big companies sourcing grads who were the master of dr/cr's, and not much else, are well and truly over. They want people with a bit of personality and ambition, and not somebody who just see's a career with the Big 4 and a natural progression to their mundane lives.

The end.

EDIT: Once you get through the application stage, and you're called in for an interview, thats when everybody is on the same level, and where you need to differentiate yourself from the next guy/girl.

Last edited:
HSC
There are heaps of cadetships on offer in Wollongong, just keep a look out in the papers. I know of people who got cadetships at the end of first session. Also, if you get good marks and have heaps of experience it won't matter what uni you go to.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)