Repair or Buy-monitor PITCH BLACK when game started!!~~~~ (1 Viewer)

icyeyes

I have a problem wif my monitor and was wondering if ne one could help at all, maybe this happened to u b4? ::::::::::::::

I installed a game called MapleStory onto my computer. After installation i was just exploring around first, not starting the game yet. I went to the Start Bar, then to programs then to the section wif MapleStory on it. There were 2 files:
the actual game and another one....i clicked on this 2nd one.

Here, this file said: MAPLESTORY SETUP

This program sets ur monitor frequency up for MapleStory. PLease run this program if ur screen turns pitch black, or if u see a warning on ur monitor on exceeding the range of frequency of ur monitor. When the game starts, are you able to see the game clearly?
YES NO

Obviously i clicked YES, cos i was jus exploring around first and didnt expect n e fing wud go wrong. Plus i jus wanted to close the window and the X button was light therefore not letting me close that window. So i was left wif YES or NO, and i was scared what NO wud do.

Afterwards I went to start the game, when i did the WHOLE monitor screen went black...i did not see the mouse or n e thing!!!Plus the light next to the monitor button near the computer screen was starting to make a scary clicking sound with the light blinking ever so slightly but u can tell.

What i have tried:
Resetting comp, pressing WINDOWS button (on keyboard) so START bar can pop up, but nothing can still be seen.

A friend said that the monitor was "fried" and it's gone forever, but howwwwwww, how can a simple click do so much harmmm n e way.....

This happens when i resetted the comp:
Usually when u reset the comp or turn on the comp you see white writing lfashing on the screen saying stuffs like "press F5 blah blah, gas green saftey blah blah" and whatever...but this time it showed absolutely nothing!!!
I have Windows XP Professional (and the monitor is 17" BENQ)....Ukno when u turn the comp on u see the word "Windows XP" and a blue or green scale flashing across as the comp logs onto ur desktop? Well, it didnt show this!!!

After resetting and checking all wires and cables and everything i turned comp on again and noticed that i was on my desktop and that i just cant see ne thing though!!! I have automatic msn log on and ma friend was talking to me but i cant see, i cud do ne thing like as if ma comp was normal except the monitor was alll blackkkkkk...so i cud open aplications, surf net..do ne fing but i jus cant see!! I was like BLIND....no sense of directions...u get the point.

Luckily i have 2 comps..so i switched monitors.....i wanted to kno whether it was the CPU or monitor thats really wrecked. And with the 2nd monitor i was able to see my desktop and everything again. So I concluded that it was the monitor thats dead. I went to MapleStory again, risking wrecking the monitor again. But this time i went to that same file again and instead of pressing YES, I pressed NO. And it took me thru stuffs that tested ma monitor for the game, afterwards it set my frequency at 85Hz (dunno wat that means). After that, i dared to start the game....it worked and the game was fine....the screen did not go pitch black.

I mean if it went pitch black wudnt it b too late to do the monitor testing thing? Cos u wudnt b able to see ne fing...if ukno wat i mean.....

So I decided that on the first wrecked monitor, if only i cud go back to that filr and click NO instead of YES and it may fix ma monitor again, but it was black and i had no sense of direction so i counted all the number of keys....like 21 up arrows, 2 enter blah blah......result: nothing got fixed
Still pitch black and dunno why...smthng bout frequency...*sigh

SOOO SOOOORRRY this msg was soooo longgggg :):):)

thnx 4 ne help ~~

sunny

meh.
HSC
Its possible that the program has ruined your first monitor. The frequency is the rate at which your computer refreshes/redraws the screen. 85Hz = 85 times a second.

Most new monitors have protection so that they cannot be driven beyond their capabilities. But if monitors are pushed beyond a certain range its possible for them to be permanently damaged.

Using your second computer, change the resolution (in Start->Control Panel->Display) to the lowest possible setting (probably 640x480), but remember what you had before to change it back. Then click on Advanced->Monitor and change the Refresh Rate to the lowest possible/allowable setting (60Hz). Don't uncheck that box that says "Hide modes...." and pick something from that list, otherwise you'll have a second monitor ending up like the first one. See if those settings work with your 'dead' monitor.

Its quite likely your first monitor has died though.

equiski

HSC
Yes, sounds pretty dead to me. I've had a monitor catch on fire while i was using it, that was pretty scary.

Did you try the 1st (broken) monitor on your 2nd computer? I think that the monitor was on the way out and that res change was the needle that broke the camel's back. Maple Story only runs at 800x600, and if your computer is capable of running the game i'm right to assume your desktop resolution is equal to or higher than 800x600. Is the monitor still under warrantee? Alot of monitors are covered for 3 years.

icyeyes

sunny said:
See if those settings work with your 'dead' monitor.
hehehhe thnx....but i cant cos its all black so i cant go n e where.....

equiski said:
Did you try the 1st (broken) monitor on your 2nd computer?
yeh i did....didnt work either......2nd cpu wif 2nd monitor= GOOD
1st cpu wif 1st monitor =BAD..and 2nd cpu wif that 1st monitor is also bad...

monitors stuffed...gotta get new oneeeeeeeeeeee

hope the game doesnt stuff my new monitor.........atleast ikno the reason now
*sigh :p:):):):p

gggezzzzzzzzz, it sure got burnt out really fast!!!!!

Monitor warranty? nope..i read the comp papers and the shop said that it doesnt waranty me monitors, printers etc etc....and n e way the repair might take too long.......even tho a friend said yeah 3 years at most.

New monitor.........*sigh 3 weeks without pay since i gotta get it out of my own pocket hehehehhehe

U ppl read that whole msg i wrote?????? woahhh thnx a lot :)
Kept thinking monitor is still okay

icyeyes

weird but, my comp is already set at frequency 60Hz, but the game set it to 85Hz, even higher

sunny

meh.
HSC
Is the dead monitor very old? Most monitors should be able to handle 800x600 at 85Hz.

sunny

meh.
HSC
Usually from 640x480 60Hz or so up to 1024x768 85Hz or higher and anything in between. So I'm suprised the program would've killed your monitor testing it with 800x600 85Hz. See if you can check your monitor documentation (you can google online for your monitor model number) and see if it supports that.

equiski

HSC
Maple Story is an awesome game.

...for about a week, then it gets old :p.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
appleblu said:
nope 2 years old...how much is a normal 17" monitor n e way? :)
17" you should be able to pick up somewhere between $150 and $250

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)