• Best of luck to the class of 2024 for their HSC exams. You got this!
    Let us know your thoughts on the HSC exams here
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

Repeat last year of high school or go to Uni? (1 Viewer)

lobit

HSC
Hi all Im in Year 13 in NZ was hoping to go to an AU Uni next year, but most AU Unis require 3 A2 subjects and I only have 2. Should I just repeat this year to get an extra A2 subject or would, say going to to Auckland Uni first then transferring in my second year be a better option? I haven't done year 9 to year 11, do you think they'll consider that? Like give me a conditional offer or something?

Since I missed 3 years of high school my foundation isnt very good...my AS results, I got a B in English and C's for accounting and Economics. Also Ive heard that USYD hardly accepts undergraduates? Can anyone confirm that? Is USYD the 3rd best Uni in AU? This Uni thing is really frustrating me:confused: Do they just want 3 A2s? Meaning they'll accept even if I get 3 E's?...Hope someone can help me+__+ I registered just now cos I saw some really helpful answers.

Sarebs

HSC
Hi, I don't know a great deal but I'd like to help.

USYD accepts a fair few undergrads each year (my guess 5000), but they're of a really high quality. I don't think any courses are offered with an ATAR under 80 (which means you have to be smarter than 80% of the year 7 group you started with in NSW, or smarter than about 80% of your fellow NZ cohort I think). And yes, USYD is about the third best uni in Aus.

There are plenty of good unis in Aus, in Sydney alone you have UNSW, Maq, UWS, and a few others. Some of the regional Aus unis will accept you if your marks aren't as good, like Southern Cross, Charles Sturt. They accept ATARs as low as 60/65 I think. It just depends what you'll be studying.

About whether to go to uni in Auckland or do year 13 again, perhaps it would be best to talk to your careers advisor about that, as I have no idea.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)