Repeat year 12 again?..... (1 Viewer)

eternalsoul6

Chronic Crammer (><)
HSC
didnt really think this thread was gonna take off but WOW...
I guess im not the only one whose thought of repeating year 12.....
oddly its comforting....

@ watatank

well kind of my marks have varied due to my motivation gauge running out throughout the year! so many things happened simultaneoously that lead to the complete depletion of my motivation meter!!!....
and now im finnally at the end of the tunnel, but i feel like im coming out of the wrong opening, thats why i was wondering perhaps i should venture back and take another hole out... lol no idea y i just wrote that... LOL....
but yeh thanks that really did make sense i guess your totally right with the whole concentrate on whats at hand, i guess ill feel better for putting my best efffort in for my trials! than just already making my mind up before hand thanksss!!!

@pursya17 vbmenu_register("postmenu_3021138", true);

Yeh your right, i guess the option to me is open to put all my effort in for the trials, no use in spending my one week left thinking about bombing the trials might aswell put some effort into it! ThXXX good luck to you tooo

@nichhhole

Yeh your totally right there, today i basically stayed home and wasted a day doing nothing, my chemistry research task is due 2mos and im about 10% of the way their, doing it right now as a matter of fact.... i guess i have programmed myself subconsiously to stop putting the effffort in....!!!!!! ARRGGHHHHHHHH!
yeh ur right i guess ill have to look at other options rather than repeating...
its about 11:50 now i have about 8hours till i have to leave to school i guess i better get into it now! thanks again! good luck to u 2!!!

magpam said:
wait are you talking about resiting the hsc at tafe or doing a certificate/diploma at tafe? redoing the hsc at tafe IS a waste of time and money. i really recommend for you to do a diploma/advance diploma if you did not get the marks that you want. that is the BEST way to get into uni.

anyways i shouldn't be talking i havn't taken this year seriously. but meh ...
LoL, i meant as in doing the hsc again... but yeh im really starting to see with all the feedback you guys are giving it would be pointless with repeating year 12...

Another thing say i choose to do a degree at uni that needs less uai to get in and i work my ASSSS OFFF!, and suppoosee i want to do medicine, in my first year at uni can i do the umat, then do well at uni and get into medicine in the second year or something???..
is that possible??????
can anyone clarify me on this please!?!?!?

Last edited:

Sprinkles~

splashing in puddles
HSC
mixt said:
has anyone here actually gone thru yr12 again and will talk about how it was?
cz im thinking of repeating yr12 too cz i dont think uai will be high enough
i *sort of* repeated year 12, i didn't actually repeat any subjects but i did pathways over 2 years. it takes a hell of a lot of motivation to do two years of the HSC especially because it you feel like you're going backwards and really left behind when all your friends are in uni, travelling or working etc which is unmotivating. you get so over everything to do with the HSC (sends you crazyyy :p) and doing the same work over would get boring as well, so really think it through and consider all options before making any decisions. if you're motivated, and can stay that way, then you'd be fine if its what you did decide to do. it's not too bad doing it through school either, no one looks at you weird :)

Last edited:

Fish Sauce

HSC
N/A
magpam said:
i heard that this girl at my school is planning to do pathways over 3 years... 2U for each subject... friggin crazy

one of the teachers suggested pathways for me and i was like pfffft no way
3 years? Damn.

Shrikar

MλĐ€ IŇ ĮŃĐĨλ
HSC
Uni Grad
cl3nta said:
I'd hate to redo the last two years. I just want to get into uni and get out of school!
Ditto, though i admit my performance this year has been shocking especially in maths, :mad1: , i was thinking of repeating but now, i really don't want to go through the HSC again. Just live with what i get.

Sprinkles~

splashing in puddles
HSC
magpam said:
i heard that this girl at my school is planning to do pathways over 3 years... 4U for each year... friggin crazy
THREE years??? insanity much? :eek:

omg, she has no idea what she's in for haha, 2 years is already too much. is there any specific reason that means she has to do that, or is she just choosing it to try and get some perfect UAI?

Sooj

HSC
Y'know, I'm in a pickle like you. Except, I'm on my last week of Trials with my Advanced English tests absolutely screwed up (I'll pass, though.), and EE1 done okay-ish. Right now as I'm studying for Business and Software I'm still dreading about the >85 mark I probably won't get.
And yeah, I've thought about repeating year 12 again, and I'm still probably under the delusion that on the second time around things will be a lot more easier and I'll put in utmost effort to ace that year.
But that's probably not gonna happen, I don't think I'll be repeating or going to TAFE. But uh, I'm kinda ranting right now because I'm really sleep deprived and I'm still getting chills from the thought of aftermath of trials...

nichhhole said:
just give it everything you've got right now... then you might be suprised.
don't give up and say 'oh i;ll just reapeat'

I like that.

bokiniec

Not a New Member
HSC
why on earth would you want to repeat yr 12 again?? there's no point if u want to get ur hsc/uai, YOU SHOULD HAVE DONE IT IN THE FIRST YEAR OF YOUR YR 12 NOT IN THE SECOND!!!!

Rant!!!
FLAMER!!!!

eternalsoul6

Chronic Crammer (><)
HSC
ok ok i get your point, but i guess some of us are slow learners so i'd like to know the available options?, before when i just started my hsc i was soo reved up but along the way because i wasnt clear on why i was doing the hsc i lost track, but now i feel like i have a purpose like something i really want to do, so i want to know the way to get there!!!!

nichhhole

asndihsCfuckingansbdiuahd
HSC
Just keep in mind that if u redo the course and get alower mark than the first time you did it, theydisregard the first mark and take the latest one... so you can effectively go worse.
However if in your internals u knew u werent going particularly well [ie worse than the year before] then i probably wouldnt continue and do the external exams bc you'd risk getting a lower mark...

goodluck :)

HSC
With this whole repeating uai thing. I actually rekon its a pretty good idea. It'll be like a whole extra year of revision, and while you aren't *guaranteed* to do better, its most probable that you will provided you apply the same, or greater, effort as you did this year.

At the same time, how would you motivate urself? I wouldn't be able to coz id know i should be finished and i still have to do friggin assignments if i was in ur situation. But yeh if you CAN motivate urself, then i rekon it aint a bad idea.

Season

HSC
I know about 3 people who repeated year 12 and they were much happier with their results second time round, they were more focused and didn't have all of that normal year 12 stuff hanging around (friendship yada yada) and were happy with their results.

One become a math teacher
and the other two (strangely don't know each other or go to the same uni) but are doing law

Many people do it actually, its called year 13, and most Tafes have a place to do it.
The main reason people do it is because of something really bad happened in year 12 that made everything screw up. Whether it be friendships, friend died etc. These thiings can really screw you over.

Personally I could never do it, year 12 has been the worst year of hell ever created to tortue ME (YES ME I AM SELF CENTERED) the amount of stress and frustration and competitiveness this year has brought out has ARJFLKAJD;L. Could not do it again, and even if I don't get into the course I want to, I still have back up courses that I'll be happy with.

Look once you get into uni/tafe whatever you can transfer, its just a decision whether you think you can ace whatever course you're in to transfer across. I know someone who got a UAI of 72 and is now studying medicine (after acing her nursing degree).

You say you're going to get around 85... that's not bad, you could easily get into a good course and transfer across to the one you want.

but it is your choice

eternalsoul6

Chronic Crammer (><)
HSC
I told myself over and over again not to mention this because it does just seem like im making excuses for my poor performance, but in the beginning of yr 12 i was doing so damn good, i was motivated 150% always came home started work, but then throughout the year i lost a friend, well not to death but to a girl and now we've drifted apart. And now i find myself nigelated all the time at school, its funny because throughout my whole high school life well ive been on the higher end of the social status at and 2 years ago i could have never imagined myself as a social outcast...And now after ive moved on and realised its not worth wasting time ive already done numerous assessments completed my trials and with the hsc only a month away!!!!

..... well if things couldn't get anyworse two years ago i was diagnosed with a gene mutation, (NO this had nothing to do with zombies!), and i have a rare condition which causes stones to form inside my pancreas, an organ that helps digest food and controls insulin levels in the body, which results in extremely extruciating pain, described by people in similiar situation as the pain felt by a woman giving birth. So about a few times a year i have these pains which last for weeks so i have to go to hospital now and then to get them removed. This has been a major factor that side tracked me from my focus on my HSC..... not to mention the fact that i have a >50% chance of developing pancreatic cancer....

Even one of my teachers recommended me to fill out a misadventure form for the hsc, but honestly i dont really think its going to make much of a difference???

Thats the thing im not sure if ill get over 85, say for your assessments you do average right and if you get all over band 5z and 6z do i still have a chance at a uai over 85? prefereably 90? for the course i want to do....

honestly if i do a course and transfer like wont i be wasting more than a year if i just re-did the hsc which would only take an extra year...?

Season

HSC
eternalsoul6 said:
I
Even one of my teachers recommended me to fill out a misadventure form for the hsc, but honestly i dont really think its going to make much of a difference???

Thats the thing im not sure if ill get over 85, say for your assessments you do average right and if you get all over band 5z and 6z do i still have a chance at a uai over 85? prefereably 90? for the course i want to do....

honestly if i do a course and transfer like wont i be wasting more than a year if i just re-did the hsc which would only take an extra year...?
Firstly FILL OUT THAT EAS FORM YOU IDIOT... teachers don't make these recommendations for nothing. That could easily get you an extra 5 bonus points to guarantee you get into the course you want... *sigh*

The main reason people start a course is

a) you might not get in second time round thus you don't want to feel you've wasted a year

b) many courses will take that year as credit. Like if I was doing straight arts, wanted to transfer to arts/law, then my arts year would be counted in the degree, hence not wasting hecs.

Sprinkles~

splashing in puddles
HSC
eternalsoul6 said:

fill out the forms!!!

you sound so much like me last year "no i wont fill them out, it wont really make a difference anyway...it wont be enough.... yayaya" i completely refused at first. if i hadn't have listened to my teachers in the end, i would not be in university this year. trust me, i was going so badly due to health reasons i thought i didn't have a chance in hell of getting an offer - but i got 4! even though my UAI was wayyy bad. so theres hope for you to :)

there's no question about it. your schooling has been disadvantaged this year and you need to fill out those forms. listen to what your teachers tell you to do, they're doing whats best for you and they know these things have ways of working out!

and about transferring after first year so many people do it! a friend in my psychology course, she's a bachelor of science student who has picked all the same subjects as we're doing and is going to transfer into our degree soon. so she's not even a wasted year, if you score credits for the course you want to change to.

uni is a step forward, whatever course you get into, once you are a student there there are heaps of ways to get where you want to be. Where as redoing the HSC would be a bit like a step backward... it sure feels that way when you do it, like you're not getting anywhere.

did i mention you should fill out the forms? :p

kewlu

Banned
HSC
Just a point of order, Mr Speaker:

In order to repeat Year 12 again, one must have already repeated Year 12.

Zepol.

HSC
i didnt read many replies but.. if you do it at tafe u really need self motivation.. the teachers will encourage you but if u dont want to do an assessment they dont force you.. plus if you dont go to school one day they dont really care coz its your own choice..

kewlu

Banned
HSC
Zepol. said:
i didnt read many replies but.. if you do it at tafe u really need self motivation.. the teachers will encourage you but if u dont want to do an assessment they dont force you.. plus if you dont go to school one day they dont really care coz its your own choice..
Welcome to Uni.

(Apparently.)

HSC
yeah same with uni. if you're going to uni, don't expect to be spoon-fed, be prepared to find a lot of information by yourself etc. .

kewlu

Banned
HSC
Optophobia said:
Also, study your butt off for the tests and it wont matter if you have done bad in the assessments.
That makes me unhappy.

beentherdunthat

HSC
lol. Yeah. Hate writing up notes :mad1:

Pathways is a good alternative, if you choose in year 11. Makes everything so much simpler by the time you're in year 12. More bludging + free periods :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)