Repeating a Passed Subject (1 Viewer)

macca1819

HSC
I don't get it, it says

"Units that have a grade of P or PC can be re-attempted by clicking on the underlined description and following the instructions on the resulting form".

Why would you want to re-do it if you passed? You can't change your result/GPA by re-doing it, can you?

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Re: Help, I got a P (62) for a subject.

Help, I seem to have misplaced my brain.

X

xeuyrawp

I don't get it, it says

"Units that have a grade of P or PC can be re-attempted by clicking on the underlined description and following the instructions on the resulting form".

Why would you want to re-do it if you passed? You can't change your result/GPA by re-doing it, can you?
... If you don't want to re-do it, why do you care? :confused:

a) Obviously it changes your GPA if you get, say, an HD next time instead of a Pass,
b) some other subjects have a prerequisites higher than a Pass.

Tabris

HSC

Some ACST units require a Credit in order to get an exemption - a pass is not enough. I think other subjects may need a Credit in a certain unit as a pre-requisite. I think that this is part of the reason why they have that option

Supra

secksy beast
HSC

Some ACST units require a Credit in order to get an exemption - a pass is not enough. I think other subjects may need a Credit in a certain unit as a pre-requisite. I think that this is part of the reason why they have that option
Spot on.

e.g Cr in STAT171 for ACST211.

Also, you can marginally improve your GPA. The opportunity cost is time/effort, when you can do more cp for your degree.

X

xeuyrawp

when you can do more cp for your degree.
You don't get more credit points; if you repeat a unit, your GPA changes, but the unit only counts once for cps.

Monstar

HSC

I think Supra was trying to say that improving your GPA via repeating a passed subject would mean stagnating the progress of your degree.

btw pwar, are you Rob, ie the rob on the transition team?

Last edited:
X

xeuyrawp

I think Supra was trying to say that improving your GPA via repeating a passed subject would mean stagnating the progress of your degree.
Oh I see, my bad.

It's important to remember that, though.

btw pwar, are you Rob, ie the rob on the transition team?
Yep - why do you ask?

Supra

secksy beast
HSC

yeh what Monstar said :)

Cheers,
krish

Monstar

HSC

Oh I see, my bad.

It's important to remember that, though.

Yep - why do you ask?
Pick me to be a buddy!!!! haha . I read on the 'receivedapplicationconfirmation' email there was a dude named 'rob', then i thought of this.. and then a thread containing a picture of you in the buddeh tshirt on a tree.

X

xeuyrawp

Pick me to be a buddy!!!! haha . I read on the 'receivedapplicationconfirmation' email there was a dude named 'rob', then i thought of this.. and then a thread containing a picture of you in the buddeh tshirt on a tree.
Nono, Transition, not Macquarie International. I haven't had anything to do with MI.

Monstar

HSC

ya i applied early for transition mentor thing.

pick me !

irr4tion4l

HSC
Hey all, i was wondering if anyone knew the specifics of this. Im fairly late into my Law/Comm degree and id like reattempt a unit to improve my WAM/GPA (Slept in and arrived half-way through an exam! arrrg! Only pass ive ever had in law)

Does anyone know if/how re-attempting a unit affects your WAM and GPA, and also, what are the requirements for Honours in Law? Used to be Advanced Legal Research + 76+ for First Class and 71 for Second Class, but with recent changes im not sure what the requirement is.

Thanks!

irr4tion4l

HSC
Ok well i got some weird advice like that both attempts will affect your GPA. Also, honours is now 3.1 for Second Class and 3.6 + Advanced Legal Research unit (which need either 3.2 or 3.25 to enrol) for First Class.

Is first class much better than second? Its another semester, and because i got one pass my GPA is 3.31 at the moment and i would need D or HD in the next 6 law units to get First Class honours; no mean feat!

*hopeful*

HSC
im doing this for a 4 cp unit i got a borderline pass/credit for (63) and hoping it will boost my gpa when i get the D i want!

louy

HSC
N/A
i am glad I never had this problem. Better things to do with my time.

Just pass with decent grades first time and enjoy life without repeating any subjects

*hopeful*

HSC
... I assume you calculated the difference it'll make.
no
but im assuming it will make a positive difference, am i wrong ? tbh this thread has confused me on the whole issue all together

*hopeful*

HSC
ok so im still waiting for a response
academic advice for accg students sucks but i know that it wont count towards extra c/ps which is fine, just looking to increase the gpa :confused:

X

xeuyrawp

no
but im assuming it will make a positive difference, am i wrong ? tbh this thread has confused me on the whole issue all together
Yes, as has been said several times, it'll have a positive difference.

What I'm asking is whether you've figured out what that difference will be. Do a search for the GPA calculator if you can't do it manually.

I think it'd be pretty silly to repeat a subject only to find that it moved your GPA from 2.1 to 2.2, but maybe that's just me.

PS: Generally people like academic advisers and admin staff ignore questions which are clearly answered elsewhere (ie eStudent).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)