Repeating ATAR vs Going to TAFE (1 Viewer)

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
People say it's not worth repeating ATAR as there are many alternative pathway to uni, but what if you got a really bad ATAR? Like in the 50s, no uni is going to accept that, and if you do end up going TAFE, isn't as if you're already repeating your HSC? But it's actually better you're repeating the HSC because you can get a better mark and not waste even more time transferring, etc?

aanthnnyyy

HSC
People say it's not worth repeating ATAR as there are many alternative pathway to uni, but what if you got a really bad ATAR? Like in the 50s, no uni is going to accept that, and if you do end up going TAFE, isn't as if you're already repeating your HSC? But it's actually better you're repeating the HSC because you can get a better mark and not waste even more time transferring, etc?
My brother failed his hsc (48*) :lol: and went to tafe. But now he's at UTS doing some business/ipt which I think required an atar of like 90+ and working a job earning 75k salary. 2 years of tafe and now on last year of his degree.- so total 5 years rn

So... IMO atar is just a big shortcut and of course we should all try achieve it. But there are Defs other pathways I.e. credit avg system bridging etc

Mr_Kap

HSC
yeh but if you know you can do well you may as well repeat.

Like if I somehow bomb out and get in the 70's (wont happen...but who knows, pigs could fly), I would no doubt repeat the HSC rather than get in a shit course and do all this transferring. Plus, that means you have to do really well at university to transfer and its just easier to do the HSC again...especially since you already know stuff from the subjects you are repeating

Flop21

HSC
Yes you can do the HSC through TAFE. That is repeating year 12 / HSC pretty much.

But there are other things you can do at TAFE, i.e. there are pathways TO uni via TAFE.

https://www.tafensw.edu.au/courses/study-options/tafe-to-university

Check out UTS: Insearch

http://www.insearch.edu.au/

Is this for yourself by the way? I highly doubt you will get an ATAR in the 50s, but it's good to plan I understand. If you get an ATAR of 60s, I would imagine there would be unis out there accepting students with that ATAR. That means you can get into the course, use your free electives to take the relevant courses in your desired degree, and then after a year transfer over. Usually your credits will transfer over, so you don't loose much time.

Someone might be able to give you more info, because I'm not 100% how uni works.

sinophile

HSC
N/A
Its never worth repeating the HSC and it susually hte case that repeaters don't do any better the second time around. Instead do that tafe thing you said, or get into a university that will accept you with that atar, do well in university, and transfer into a semi-decent university when you get the chance. Its worth your while to try and get into a university first, because often they advertise atar cutoffs which are far higher than those they actually take it (they do this to trick high performing students into choosing that course because many think high cutoff means its more elite).

Mr_Kap

HSC
Its never worth repeating the HSC and it susually hte case that repeaters don't do any better the second time around. Instead do that tafe thing you said, or get into a university that will accept you with that atar, do well in university, and transfer into a semi-decent university when you get the chance. Its worth your while to try and get into a university first, because often they advertise atar cutoffs which are far higher than those they actually take it (they do this to trick high performing students into choosing that course because many think high cutoff means its more elite).
everyone always says, "you repeat you will go worse" but i dont see how. You've spent a whole year learning that shit (albeit not too well if you are only getting 50-70 atar), but at least you are already familiar with the stuff. The next year should be a breeze to you. you have a WHOLE YEAR to correct the stuff you dont understand. And, if you do well in one subject or you feel like you might do worse in it if you repeat (e.g english), you dont have to repeat that subject..you can keep the result for it.

If you really cant get into any course you want, not even your last option.. (like if I get below 80 ATAR i can''t get into anything i want to do), repeat HSC

HecticSandWitch

2007 fuccboi hustler king
HSC
everyone always says, "you repeat you will go worse" but i dont see how. You've spent a whole year learning that shit (albeit not too well if you are only getting 50-70 atar), but at least you are already familiar with the stuff. The next year should be a breeze to you. you have a WHOLE YEAR to correct the stuff you dont understand. And, if you do well in one subject or you feel like you might do worse in it if you repeat (e.g english), you dont have to repeat that subject..you can keep the result for it.

If you really cant get into any course you want, not even your last option.. (like if I get below 80 ATAR i can''t get into anything i want to do), repeat HSC
I would imagine complacency becomes an issue, plus the fact that most of your mates are going out getting hammered every friday, studying just isn't as appealing as it was when your mates were all at school.

Mr_Kap

HSC
I would imagine complacency becomes an issue, plus the fact that most of your mates are going out getting hammered every friday, studying just isn't as appealing as it was when your mates were all at school.
That is a major drawback to repeating i must admit. School won't be the same...you'll have people talking shit etc..

astroman

HSC
Yes you can do the HSC through TAFE. That is repeating year 12 / HSC pretty much.

But there are other things you can do at TAFE, i.e. there are pathways TO uni via TAFE.

https://www.tafensw.edu.au/courses/study-options/tafe-to-university

Check out UTS: Insearch

http://www.insearch.edu.au/

Is this for yourself by the way? I highly doubt you will get an ATAR in the 50s, but it's good to plan I understand. If you get an ATAR of 60s, I would imagine there would be unis out there accepting students with that ATAR. That means you can get into the course, use your free electives to take the relevant courses in your desired degree, and then after a year transfer over. Usually your credits will transfer over, so you don't loose much time.

Someone might be able to give you more info, because I'm not 100% how uni works.
Would not recommend insearch, huge waste of money and can do the same and try applying for uni's through tafe.

teridax

HSC
N/A
Agreed.

You probably get a lot of stigma from your friends as well. But to be honest, I really don't see the appeal of repeating the HSC just because you want to get a higher ATAR. Like, I don't mean to be blunt, but it just seems that those who want to repeat year 12 is because they have this fixated belief that TAFE and such is a place for misfits, which is total bullshit (vocational training is in higher demand nowadays due to the services sector gaining more prominence in the economy and it can be beneficial for students wanting to participate). To me, that just shows that them wanting a higher ATAR upon repeating in accepting the stereotypes of other pathways reflects their ego. Obviously there are some due to circumstances outside their control that would have to repeat, but the bolded embodies the majority. Even if you have figured out all your mistakes and the tricks of the board of studies, that does not necessarily mean that your marks will magically improve next year.

Also, OP, whilst it's good you're considering your options, you seem to be stressing out of the possibility of getting a 50-60 ATAR - I've seen your post and I think you're more than capable of doing well. Just work your heart out for the remaining exams and let everything else sort itself out.

Last edited:

sinophile

HSC
N/A

Lets face it, if you're getting an atar in the 50s or 60s you either had an illness/misadventure during the HSC, are incredibly stupid or didn't give a shit. If you legit made an attempt at the HSC and got that score you are probably not cut out for university (which is fine by he way, university is not for everyone).

Flop21

HSC
Lets face it, if you're getting an atar in the 50s or 60s you either had an illness/misadventure during the HSC, are incredibly stupid or didn't give a shit. If you legit made an attempt at the HSC and got that score you are probably not cut out for university (which is fine by he way, university is not for everyone).
Someone has to get the 60s and 50s ATARs. The median ATAR is 69, so getting below that just means you're a little under the average. Obviously the lower you go, the further you are away from the average and closer to the bottom of the state.

I find it hard to believe that half of HSC students (<69) are totally stupid and would not be able to handle uni. I would imagine maybe the <50 kids questioning their pursuit of uni, but definitely not the kids in the 50s or 60s.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)