Repeating the HSC? (1 Viewer)

Horrific2310

HSC
I completely bombed out in my trial exams. Prior to them, I was top 3 in all my subjects and then...

Some literal fails, like ~50% in the trials.

I attend a mid 200s school as well

Is it worthwhile repeating the HSC? Really don't know what to do.

enoilgam

HSC
Repeating the HSC is a real waste of time. You're far better off starting uni and working your way into your desired course, because you its possible to get credit for units completed, thus meaning you wont totally waste a year like you would with the HSC.

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
Do I encourage repeating? No.

Your internal marks get moderated and 50% if it is relatively bad, then it will drag you down. However, this is no time to give up. Just because your ranks may be "mediocre" or below your own expectations, it doesn't mean you shouldn't try for the externals which moderate the internal and provide you with 50% of your total mark (i.e. like doing ALL school assessments all over again including assessment half yearlies and trial exams).

With that said, I will say that repeating is not always detrimental. Repeating is to only occur if you had uncontrollable external issues that hindered your ability to do well (family problems, unexpected deaths, tragedies etc...). I know someone who couldn't study all year because of the death of an immediate family member (he was barely in school), he ended up with a 65-70 ATAR, which was 96 the following year. It wasn't because he was a natural procrastinator, he was just barely at school and didn't know what's going on.

If you're going to repeat for the sake of repeating and you had a smooth emotional and physical year, don't expect a big improvement in your marks. I say this with conviction because you're not going to study next year if you procrastinated all of this year, no matter how much you tell yourself that. Repeating the HSC can also come with a sense of complacency, "I know what I'm doing, I did it last year" which would obviously impact on further results.

Horrific2310

HSC
I have no idea, but pretty sure I came last in the chemistry trial sooo it's not a great rank at all. + my class isn't very strong so it's all messed up.

enoilgam

HSC

Your internal marks get moderated and 50% if it is relatively bad, then it will drag you down. However, this is no time to give up. Just because your ranks may be "mediocre" or below your own expectations, it doesn't mean you shouldn't try for the externals which moderate the internal and provide you with 50% of your total mark (i.e. like doing ALL school assessments all over again including assessment half yearlies and trial exams).

With that said, I will say that repeating is not always detrimental. Repeating is to only occur if you had uncontrollable external issues that hindered your ability to do well (family problems, unexpected deaths, tragedies etc...). I know someone who couldn't study all year because of the death of an immediate family member (he was barely in school), he ended up with a 65-70 ATAR, which was 96 the following year. It wasn't because he was a natural procrastinator, he was just barely at school and didn't know what's going on.

If you're going to repeat for the sake of repeating and you had a smooth emotional and physical year, don't expect a big improvement in your marks. I say this with conviction because you're not going to study next year if you procrastinated all of this year, no matter how much you tell yourself that. Repeating the HSC can also come with a sense of complacency, "I know what I'm doing, I did it last year" which would obviously impact on further results.
Definitely agree with this.

Horrific2310

HSC

Thankyou for that!

Although there were not any deaths or tragedies, I did miss a lot of school and I got very emotional throughout the year because of personal issues and such.
On top of that, I have severe anxiety, which I'm trying to manage atm.

Spiritual Being

hehehehehe
HSC
Uni Grad
Thankyou for that!

Although there were not any deaths or tragedies, I did miss a lot of school and I got very emotional throughout the year because of personal issues and such.
On top of that, I have severe anxiety, which I'm trying to manage atm.
I hope your circumstances get better.

You've just underscored it. To repeat after an emotionally grueling year, will just worsen your anxiety. There's nothing worse than thinking to yourself "this is the second time I'm doing the HSC, and I HAVE to do well", because I'm sure you can't even fathom how it would feel to be in the same position you are right now, in your 'repeat' year.

Going to university, undertaking relevant units and transferring is not only fundamental in studying your core interests and overcoming the waste of time associated with repeating the HSC, but it is also important in its ability to separate you from the HSC hype. I'm sure that if the media, parents, friends and society as a whole didn't hype the HSC, it wouldn't be what it is today. Students wouldn't get tutors to write their essays and malpractice. Students wouldn't take study drugs to ensure a higher ATAR i.e. a higher rank. Students wouldn't study excessive hours and feel horrible when they didn't achieve what they expected. Although the aforementioned are by no means required to attain a higher ATAR, the idea that it is readily occurring around us, is more than enough to highlight the life-changing apocalyptic and stressful nature that the HSC is presented as.

To WILLINGLY put yourself back into such a system is greatly detrimental, coupled with the reality that you could be at university with no wasted time (passing on units to relevant degree) and escaping a rank system which compares you to the rest of the state. It's better for your wellbeing and your progression into future study.

monopolistic

HSC
Surely If you are have gotten high marks previously and you just bomb out in the trial, then you have the potential to make up for it in the HSC
The trials are only portion of you atar.

Emily Howard

HSC
I completely bombed out in my trial exams. Prior to them, I was top 3 in all my subjects and then...

Some literal fails, like ~50% in the trials.

I attend a mid 200s school as well

Is it worthwhile repeating the HSC? Really don't know what to do.
wat r yer ranks n target atar? its possibro dat da situation is salvageable

Jinks

HSC
As the people above have said, highly advisable NOT to repeat year 12. Do your best with the situation you have and apply for uni, if not look at some of the TAFE pathways into university (such as diploma/advanced diploma), but I'm sure you'll be fine if you were ranked close to the top before trials

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)