Report Writing (1 Viewer)

hsc2013

HSC
Hi

If a assessment tells us to write a maximum of 800 words (typed) and I go over lets say 300 to 400 words, will I get penalised? If so how many marks will get deducted since my assignment is out of 40 marks? How much am I allowed to go over the maximum?

enoilgam

HSC
Hi

If a assessment tells us to write a maximum of 800 words (typed) and I go over lets say 300 to 400 words, will I get penalised? If so how many marks will get deducted since my assignment is out of 40 marks? How much am I allowed to go over the maximum?

That is something you have to ask your teacher - there isnt a fixed rule and it's usually the class teacher who decides how much of an allowance you get over the word count, plus the amount of marks deducted as you go over. Generally speaking, 10% over the stated word count is the limit - but again, you will need to check with your teacher.

Absolutezero

real human bean
HSC
N/A
Anywhere between a 0% and a 100% penalty. It's the word limit for a reason. Stick to it.

Drifting95

Should i change my DP?
HSC
That is something you have to ask your teacher - there isnt a fixed rule and it's usually the class teacher who decides how much of an allowance you get over the word count, plus the amount of marks deducted as you go over. Generally speaking, 10% over the stated word count is the limit - but again, you will need to check with your teacher.
As stated here, this is the case with my school but it depends. I often go over the word limit with assignments, both within or over this 10% limit and don't think i have been deducted marks. However, do try you best to cut it down as much as possible, its probably the case that you have irrelevant information in it.

LoveHateSchool

Retired Sept '14
HSC
Uni Grad
Hi

Ask the school policy BUT with an 800 word assignment there is very little leeway to go over as it is very noticeable. If it was longer i.e (1500 words) it is less noticeable when you go a little over.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC
You should also note that if the word limit is 800 words, clearly the report can be written in less than 800. So if you're going over by 400 or so, you have to think whether you've included irrelevant information or are waffling on.

funstudy

HSC
Teachers are obvisouly not going to count every single word. Usually, you can go 10% under/over. You'll probs get penalised 10% of total score?

Bobbo1

HSC
Teachers may decide to simply stop reading after the 800 word limit, in which case they might miss out on critical closing statements, conclusion etc...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)