Representation & Text - Telling the truth (1 Viewer)

ben

oh yeah truman show!

lol, so many movies you can do. I wish i got do two essays on this module rather than King Lear!!

Morgues

Lear just sucks............worst thing is you dont just have to know the play but all this other crap on top of it

philbert_frog

Lazurus and Doylie:

Handmaid's Tale can be used for Telling the Truth as its about censorship (ie. the whole society is censored, and she discovers the truth by rebelling against the system.)

Its a bit iffy though, however I can almost guarantee that only a few people will chose it becasue its so obscure.

Doylie, you wouldn't happen to go to a school with the initials NBHS would you?

PS: I'm using some articles about the media coverage on Cheryl Kernot (ie. not about the affair but about how the media have covered it) and a Dateline report on the SIEV-X scandal from last year (its the illegal asylum seekers boat that sunk).

Media Watch is also a great text to use but its hard to find the "perfect" segment

Those looking for Cheryl Kernot texts, I've heard that on ABC Radio (unsure which one - prob Radio National) on Sun Night (21/7) there will be a 2hr interview with Cheryl discussing her relationship with Gareth Evans (and thus the truth).

A

average

well if you are running out of ideas for supplementary text

the simpsons is always a good one, every episode is satirical and most of them say things about change

plus there are so many episodes to choose from:D

A

average

Originally posted by average
well if you are running out of ideas for supplementary text

the simpsons is always a good one, every episode is satirical and most of them say things about change

plus there are so many episodes to choose from:D
correction "truth" not "change"

johnson

a lack of colour
HSC
well some syllabus crap says that u need a variety of text types, i.e if you're doing frontline you shouldn't use a television program as your supplementary text. im doing one of david williamson's plays, im not sure yet, brilliant lies and sanctuary and money and friends are all good. he's really good cos he satirical and stuff. and im using some installation artwork that was at the biennale of sydney, that represents various 'truths' about UFO sightings.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Uhh... if you're looking to score marks in the highest band, you probably shouldn't use a television series such as The Simpsons. From the moment the examiner sees the title of your text, they're going to have a biased view against your writing. You really should be going for something that's either 'classic literature' or an insightful, yet rare, text that makes the examiner think "Oh, that's a good one, that works really well!"

Even at the last minute, you're probably better off trying to work in a truth theme from Hamlet than resorting to cartoons.

Morgues

How do they react to newspaper articles?
Got some good ones on telling the truth

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
Newspaper articles are fine - when using those sorts of pieces, your analysis of the text and what you actually write will far outweigh any biased views held by the marker.

ben

Originally posted by Lazarus
You really should be going for something that's either 'classic literature' or an insightful, yet rare, text that makes the examiner think "Oh, that's a good one, that works really well!"
Not necessarily, someone who used "Eminem" and some cheesy comedy movie for their change essay got 14/15

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
I suppose you're right.

However, any english examiner is going to be at least slightly biased in favour of 'more sophisticated' texts - that should be taken advantage of.

ben

Originally posted by Lazarus
I suppose you're right.

However, any english examiner is going to be at least slightly biased in favour of 'more sophisticated' texts - that should be taken advantage of.
Of course, but then you could argue someone who writes on a text they are interested in may be able to write on it better.

Lazarus

Retired
HSC
You're exactly right - I'd even recommend choosing something that interests you, if that's at all possible. :p

You need to find a balance.

Morgues

It very much depends on the marker unfortunately
At my school I got English teachers that are 60 year old feminists and would probably burn your paper and evaporate the ashes as soon as they saw the word "eminem"

ben

Originally posted by Morgues
It very much depends on the marker unfortunately
At my school I got English teachers that are 60 year old feminists and would probably burn your paper and evaporate the ashes as soon as they saw the word "eminem"
LOL - well i'm too embarrassed to tell anyone what my change supplementary texts are!

My Telling the Truth ones are luckily a bit more mature:

Film - Erin Brochovich
Article on 1950s TV Quiz Show Scandal
Article on truth in Erin Brochovich Film

chuga

hey morgues,

in our school's english department, our head teacher is the only male, surrounded by 6 other femal staff. imagine the reek of feminism we are getting

dissonance

male teachers??
were full of em at my school...well accept for the feminist infested history department....(be careful on answer why women were important in the nazi state!)

I think we only have two female english teachers and about 5-6 males (this is a bit of an estimate)

....do ya think this is cause I go to a private boys school? nah...

sif not 99

the english staff room is full of men hating feminists at my skool lol, thank god my teacher didnt force that feminist lear reading down our throat, i think shes the only sane 1

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)