Representation!!!??? (1 Viewer)

laracroft

i was talking to some1 the otherday, n they said that their tutor proposed a totally differnt approach to Frontline.
every1s been talking about themes like the manipulation of the truth, and people have jsut been discussing the whole idea and examples form the series and other texts. but supposedly the idea is to discuss HOW the frontline series represents or presents meaning, or illustrates the idea about manipulation, like through the use of certain techniques such as aural and visuals...
but i thought id just ask wat ppls teachers are telling them, coz im so totally confused now :confused:
i think ppl underestimate hte difficulty of advanced english, but then sometimes if u read exemplars like the 1 from 2002, and its crap, i wonder what the standard turely is, n what markers are looknig for
any suggestions nad thoughts would be appreciated greatly!!!

santaslayer

HSC
Yes, that's certainly a different approach. When I did the HSC, I used the old approach. The tutor's approach is acceptable too if you can justify it. The advantage of this is the very different perspective you take from the 'original' idea. If you are able to construct a decent piece of writing, you'll probably be advanantaged in more ways than one. :)

clerisy

HSC
I've been told to do it a double-barrelled way. Talk about Frontline's perspective of truth in the media, but also make sure you reveal an awareness that truth is subjective, and Frontline is manipulating audience response to believe in their view and share their ideas.

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
i had the same dilemma - my teachers at school were telling me to discuss the themes of frontline, whilst my parents (tecahers) and tutor were telling me that i also needed to discuss the techniques used. ive decided that an approach combining both is best - im placing more focus on the techniques and bringing in the themes as a related issue because i looked back through various years questions and found that the rubric and the questions tended to want the HOW meaning is manipulated, not just a discussion about the fact that it is manipulated

laracroft

Yeah, thanks guys, ive looked into it more, and the fact that the module is REPRESENTATION and text, means that we have to talk about HOW the text conveys the themes to do with 'telling the truth.'
we have to include all the normal stuff like themes n that, but the HOW bit is equally if not more important....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)