Republic of Australia - Yay or Nay? (1 Viewer)

ilikebeeef

HSC
12. To the President of Nigeria, dressed in traditional robes

“You look like you’re ready for bed!”
Who knew he was in the closet the whole time? ;)

omg just put a dam poll up and leave it at that
I agree with this.

It depends on what type of republic we want to become. I really wouldn't like a full-presidential system, but would prefer a semi-presidential where although the president and his cabinet are not a part of the legislature, he is subject to the houses of parliament in the sense that the houses have a say on what the cabinet decide.

But I kind of like the connection we have with the UK anyway.

*Undecided*
+1. But if I had to say yes or no, I would say yes as long as the new flag looks decent.

thongetsu

Where aren't I?
HSC
mmmmm......i like the current system but the new system MIGHT bring about a better change.

chevlr

HSC
If becoming a republic will make the press realise that most Australian don't care about prince william visiting Australia and that it's not front page material, then i fully support the republican movement.

Last edited:

emiliieee

Batman.
HSC
@kaz - exactly, our effing flag looks too much like NZ. confuses me but i do know which is ours of course.

@spartan31234 - agreed. put a poll up.

and lol @mes ami's picture

and i don't care. really. but if we do change the flag, what the hell are we going to change it to?

BlackDragon

HSC
I don't think changing the flag will help much. It will feel new for a while but then we'll have this weird situation of having our most recognisable symbol tossed aside for nothing. Unless it was the new one was really brilliant I don't think changing the flag with help making us feel any less connected to the UK, which would be the point of becoming a republic right? Becoming our own people?

We should only change it if there is something worth changing to, not just change for the sake of change.

Last edited:

Kalashnikov47

HSC
I'm a republican, but I agree with Rudd that Australia will become a republic when the time comes~~~ there's no need to push for it~~~

kfnmpah

HSC
Yay, it's ridiculous that our head of state is determined by birth and our flag is too much like New Zealands.
New Zealand's flag is too much like ours.

What pro's and cons would there be? we'd risk our healthcare and educational systems shitting up all the be 'independent'. Compared to the US our healthcare system pwns ass, why would we risk something like that for the mere title of 'a republic'

eeeeeh

... It makes sense in my head. DAMN WORDS *shakes fist*

kfnmpah

HSC
I don't think changing the flag will help much. It will feel new for a while but then we'll have this weird situation of having our most recognisable symbol tossed aside for nothing. Unless it was the new one was really brilliant I don't think changing the flag with help making us feel any less connected to the UK, which would be the point of becoming a republic right? Becoming our own people?

We should only change it if there is something worth changing to, not just change for the sake of change.

This is what i was trying to say.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

xxshazz

HSC
one of the suggested designs

...looks more like a qantas ad

i can imagine qantas frothing with excitement for this flag

Name_Taken

HSC
That flag looks absolutely revolting.

No animal/s should ever be on a flag. Flags work best with simple, more geometric designs, the Kangaroo is a way to complex shape.

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
I have no problem with the current system. If we have a president, then we become more like USA and France. Do we really want that?
USA and France > Britain

Don't fix what ain't broke. Like what is actually wrong with our current political system?

I can see what people mean about the flag and I agree to an extent, we should have our own, but it should still in some way or another (IDK maybe just colour palette; red white and blue) acknowledge Britain's extensive role in our history.
What was wrong with CRT monitors?

New Zealand's flag is too much like ours.
New Zealand flag was made in 1800s, Australia's was made after federation.

A High Way Man

all ova da world
HSC
I'm hugely against presidential systems, and since becoming a republic would entail a presidential system (because apparently most of the rabble want a president), I'm reasonably against a republic right now.
What's wrong with India's system?

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
Personally, I want an Australian monarch. Fuck off I'm going to allow parliament to elect the same person that's supposed to be overseeing them. That shit's just a recipe for trouble.
Ditto for even a directly-elected President. In the event that the Australian public is stupid enough to elect a power-hungry executive and legislative government, what makes people think they'll elect a President wise enough to counter this government?
Hereditary constitutional monarchy does have it's advantages, especially in independant oversight of parliament.

Salisbury

HSC
N/A
Why are people--and Labor politicians in particular--so obsessed with republicanism? The advantages of constitutional monarchy are well known (and dealt with in previous threads); the Monarchy of Australia is legally distinct from Great Britain's, despite its sharing the same Queen; and Australia is clearly an independent country.

I would much rather live in Australia, New Zealand, Britain or Canada--all constitutional monarchies--than France (into its fifth republic) or the US (with a divisive head of state and a rigid separation of powers).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)