• Don't Care

Votes: 4 10.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
erawamai said:
Most people don't really have much time for the pomp and ceremony of the monarchy. Most people don't mind QEII. As a result most people are apathetic to the idea of monarchy and the pomp surrounding it, even thought it is of little relevance to most Australians.

This apathetic attitude may change when King Charles becomes King of Australia.
What is so bad about "King Charles of Australia"?

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
erawamai said:
I just have the feeling that people have less respect for Charles than they do for Elizabeth.
I don't have much respect for John Howard or Michael Jeffery either, nor for the government or the opposition. What's the difference?

anita_wax

tehnaz
HSC
im for the monarchy, i think that we should stay associated to our roots, and we still have so much in common.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
anita_wax said:
im for the monarchy, i think that we should stay associated to our roots, and we still have so much in common.
we can still have stuff in common in a republic u realise that dont u?
there is little point in havin monarchy, little benefit. as for republic same case, wats the president going to do? at least we dont need to pay the queen a salary.

gilmoregirl

HSC
I feel embarrased that we are stuck in the past so much, and that we cling onto a queen who has absolutely no relevance to our country today.

So many people in our society seem care way too much about what dress Diana wore decades ago or who Prince William is dating. Other than providing the tabloids with material, what other function does the monarchy provide to Australian society?

gerhard

HSC
because australia was borne out of a country that used to have an authoritarian leader chosen by birth to wield absolute power.

and why would we want to declare ourselves separate from this?

We should celebrate the glory days of the real kingdom of england, where the king would rule gloriously over all.

spell check

HSC
also the royal family are destined to rule over us inferior people because they have a divine right. if we try to replace them with some democratically elected leader we might incur god's wrath!

HSC
gerhard said:
because australia was borne out of a country that used to have an authoritarian leader chosen by birth to wield absolute power.

and why would we want to declare ourselves separate from this?
Because it has no relevance in our current political system.

We should celebrate the glory days of the real kingdom of england, where the king would rule gloriously over all.
Yeah, cos that really worked in medieval times...

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
spell check said:
also the royal family are destined to rule over us inferior people because they have a divine right. if we try to replace them with some democratically elected leader we might incur god's wrath!
Yeah, I hate the way the Queen leads us!

anita_wax

tehnaz
HSC
i dont see her as ruling over us i just see that in this time in the world its good to keep ties since jihad seems to be threatening all... i also like it how there is someone who can kick john howards ass out of pm

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
anita_wax said:
i dont see her as ruling over us i just see that in this time in the world its good to keep ties since jihad seems to be threatening all... i also like it how there is someone who can kick john howards ass out of pm
The monarchy has been written out of the equation for a very long time - especially in Britain.
If any monarch were to meddle in Australian affairs, they would almost certainly be ignored.

HSC
Iron said:
The monarchy has been written out of the equation for a very long time - especially in Britain.
If any monarch were to meddle in Australian affairs, they would almost certainly be ignored.
Yeah i can just imagine John Howard, or any other Prime Minister for that matter, ignoring the Head of State. I mean all the Queen/King has is constitutional authority and who cares about that its just some stupid piece of paper written by a few bearded men who founded the nation.

HSC
The Brucemaster said:
and who cares about that its just some stupid piece of paper written by a few bearded men who founded the nation.
hahaha, i think many Americans and most people around the world would laugh at you saying that.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Sarcasm gone wrong said:
Yeah i can just imagine John Howard, or any other Prime Minister for that matter, ignoring the Head of State. I mean all the Queen/King has is constitutional authority and who cares about that its just some stupid piece of paper written by a few bearded men who founded the nation.
Somebody doesn't understand the constitution.

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
I remember discussing this in a Constitutional tutorial. It was pretty heated. Can't really remember what was said and I won't bother with my notes (because I don't know where they are), but one of the reasons the 1999 referendum failed, in my opinion has to do with the advocates of a republic. They seemed to be out of touch with the average Australian. Further, there seemed to be too much emphasis on significantly altering the Constitution, and whilst a minimalist model was proceeded with, the damage had been done.
As it is, there is no need at the moment for a republic. Everything in the history of the Australian government, with the exception of a few interesting bits (rum rebellion, Jack Lang, Payroll tax cases etc), has been pretty smooth and gradual. We gradual gained out judicial independence in 1986 (that was officially. There is speculation among scholars that the Privy Council had no power from either the 30s or the 50s - interesting reading).
At the moment a lot of our population are elderly and many of them staunch republic supporters. Add to that, no great benefit has been convincingly demonstrated, there is no reason why the referendum shouldn't have failed.
In 20 or 30 years we may become a republic, or progress closer and I'm almost certain I will see it in my lifetime, that is barring an early death or a drastic alteration in the state of world politics.

And everyone who keeps using America as a great example of a republic - take a closer look. Australia, in generai, has less social inequity, less internal problems and a great deal less arrogance. America is sort of like the rich tycoon who sells his soul for money and power, but deep down lacks something.

Captain Gh3y

Rhinorhondothackasaurus
HSC
I'm a 'monarchist' if you like, but still, saying that greater social inequality in America is a product of it being a republic, is a horrible argument.

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
Captain Gh3y said:
I'm a 'monarchist' if you like, but still, saying that greater social inequality in America is a product of it being a republic, is a horrible argument.

I didn't say that. I was referring to people who use America as an example of a great republic. I was merely pointing out how Australia at the moment is superior to America. I am not saying that if we become a republic we'll end up like that, I'm saying that is stupid to continually use as an example a country that is, as a whole, worse than us.

I wasn't using America as a defence, or favour, of a republic, I was merely pointing out the inherent foolioshness in others doing that.

Mongke

HSC
im just worried that as a republic we will lean more to the US as a model than England, cos thats where were going now and as a republic it would be even easier. UK > US. altho, we do have an unusualy concervative government at the moment so it woldnt be an issue in the long run.

however,

Australia should be a republic, with all the imigrants coming in many people dont identify with Britain as their homeland. Australia is a homeland.

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
Mongke said:
im just worried that as a republic we will lean more to the US as a model than England, cos thats where were going now and as a republic it would be even easier. UK > US. altho, we do have an unusualy concervative government at the moment so it woldnt be an issue in the long run.

however,

Australia should be a republic, with all the imigrants coming in many people dont identify with Britain as their homeland. Australia is a homeland.
But while you advocate republicanism you raise a good objection. Already Australia is becoming Americanised, how long until we are the de facto 51st state. I'd much rather be a pommy than a yank. Yet a republic is imminent, but now is not the appropriate time.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)