Votes: 15 38.5%
  • Don't Care

Votes: 4 10.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Who in hell is even talking about America? This has no bearing on the debate.
They happen to be a republic - the comparison ends there.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
Iron said:
Who in hell is even talking about America? This has no bearing on the debate.
They happen to be a republic - the comparison ends there.
wats the benefit of being republic?

Dellaware

HSC
_dhj_ said:
Not much. I guess it would satisfy the nationalists.
I am sad that you happen to go to the same law school as me.

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
Dellaware said:
I am sad that you happen to go to the same law school as me.
Me too. I would be very sad to find out that there are people in the world with different opinions.

Dellaware

HSC
_dhj_ said:
Me too. I would be very sad to find out that there are people in the world with different opinions.
My comment was more in regards to your clear lack of understanding of the constitution and of political theory, not anything to do with you having a different opinion.

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
Dellaware said:
My comment was more in regards to your clear lack of understanding of the constitution and of political theory, not anything to do with you having a different opinion.
I am curious as to what I have written which so clearly reveals my ignorance of the constitution and of political theory?

HotShot

-_-
HSC
_dhj_ said:
I am curious as to what I have written which so clearly reveals my ignorance of the constitution and of political theory?
lol,

so there is no difference? why bother changing, wouldnt that slow down our productivity as our resources are diverted to changing currency notes etc..

_dhj_

-_-
HSC
HotShot said:
lol,

so there is no difference? why bother changing, wouldnt that slow down our productivity as our resources are diverted to changing currency notes etc..
:confused:

Last edited:
HSC
HotShot said:
lol,

If we changed to a republic all that would happen in regards to currency production would be that the numerous moulds for each coin and the designs on the computer for each note would have to be changed. So no, there would be no loss of productivity at all.

As to the American republic system i think the main problem with it is the voting system as opposed to the actual structure of the government. The weakness there is that its abused to the bullshit more than any actual inherent weaknesses.

HotShot

-_-
HSC
The Brucemaster said:
If we changed to a republic all that would happen in regards to currency production would be that the numerous moulds for each coin and the designs on the computer for each note would have to be changed. So no, there would be no loss of productivity at all.

As to the American republic system i think the main problem with it is the voting system as opposed to the actual structure of the government. The weakness there is that its abused to the bullshit more than any actual inherent weaknesses.
but it is loss of productivity the time it takes to change the systems could be used to produce more money?

Mongke

HSC
Australia needs to become a republic so that it can ideantify its self without leaning on the US or Bitain for examples. its what weve always wanted to do so since the convicts arived so why the hell not!?! so we can win all the medals at the commonwealth games? hmmm, well, that would be very Australia.

HSC
HotShot said:
but it is loss of productivity the time it takes to change the systems could be used to produce more money?
There is no need to produce more money. It is done at a set rate so as not to influence inflation rates.

Jonathan A

HSC
Australia does not need a republic.

Republicans now refer to religion. They are noting that Catholica can't represent the Queen or that only Anglicans can. Somehow a republic would see that change.

I might as well remind the Republicans that Sir Isaac Isaacs was Jewish and not only was he a politician and a Chief Justice of the High Court, we was also our Governor General. No where does it say, only Anglicans can represent the Queen.

Looks like Republicans are looking for something else.

While we are on the topic, I read from Prof. David Flint that Canada's Republicans had a mass rally of some sort with 4 republicans showing in total. I agree, there is a mass push for a republic in many Commonwealth Monarchical nations.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
I haven't heard that argument, but it would be refering to the fact that the British monarch has the constitutional title of "Supreme Governor of the Church of England".

It's not an irrelevant point. Isaacs didnt hold religious office. However the Anglican churches of both England and Australia aren't the same.

Jonathan A

HSC
Iron said:
I haven't heard that argument, but it would be refering to the fact that the British monarch has the constitutional title of "Supreme Governor of the Church of England".

It's not an irrelevant point. Isaacs didnt hold religious office. However the Anglican churches of both England and Australia aren't the same.

Whilst presenting a series of facts, you have not addressed my post's empahsis. Not sure if you are siding with me or opposing me.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Without having seen the Republican strike on religion, I can only assume that you've missed a delicious irony.

Clearly, this jibe is poking fun at the fact that Liz constitutionally heads both the Church and State, yet has no control over either institution. An old fact that should be formalised, already. (note americanization)
If the Queen has any say in Australian constitutional affairs, then by extention she has sway in the religion camp. Hence sectarianism should apply.

It's a funny line. Reminds me when the Republicans unveiled the slogan "Mate for Head of State", and Major-General Jeffery came out drapped in the flag claiming that he was dinky-di etc. Idiot.
You've been made a fool sir.

Enlightened_One

King of Bullshit
HSC
Mongke said:
Australia needs to become a republic so that it can ideantify its self without leaning on the US or Bitain for examples. its what weve always wanted to do so since the convicts arived so why the hell not!?! so we can win all the medals at the commonwealth games? hmmm, well, that would be very Australia.
The US is a republic and has been since their war of independence. How can staying a constitutional monarchy mean we remain closer to the US than if we became a republic? If anything, becoming a republic will send us more toward the US and away from Britain than we are now.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Enlightened_One said:
The US is a republic and has been since their war of independence. How can staying a constitutional monarchy mean we remain closer to the US than if we became a republic? If anything, becoming a republic will send us more toward the US and away from Britain than we are now.
Hey, stupid-head!
Maybe there's a flurking third way - like, for instance, say, perhaps, an "Australian" side. Zis is the whole point of the thing, you know.
Who views the world as a US-UK dichotomy?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)