• No

Votes: 28 35.9%

• Total voters

SKA

me and my baby
HSC
lol..it was a state

but like its so surprising just how many people just didnt care

i thought there would b one or two but i was surprised how many people couldnt care less n the amount of papers that were blank were amazing too

adamj

I have done further research into the republic and those who impose its agenda, I am happy to be familiar with the works of ACM Convenor Professor David Flint. Prof Flint, attended a ceremony by where an Australian recieved a knighthood, now under the Whitlam Government (a pro republican) he removed knighthoods, however Australians now have to go to Foreign REPUBLICS (and we are still under a Constitutional Monarchy) to recieve these honours. This shows the silliness of republicans.

In addition Prof Flint saw Whitlam there and told him it was a shame that Australians had to go to forien republics for knighthoods. Mr Whitlam laughed and stated he had several of those himself. Well the truth comes out, he accepts knighthoods from other countries - Mr Whitlam is one of the republicans who are anti-British, and have no plan for a republic and stable constitution.

adamj

Originally posted by SKA
lol..it was a state

but like its so surprising just how many people just didnt care

i thought there would b one or two but i was surprised how many people couldnt care less n the amount of papers that were blank were amazing too

Irregardless, they only make a minority. Democratic principles are that you can't make all happy, so you listen to a majority, whilst giving that minority the freedom to voice an opinion too.

SKA

me and my baby
HSC
Originally posted by adamj
OK, I will restate it.

You say that people should have a person they want as a leader, they do, they voted into our Legislature a Prime Minister via representatives and via proportional voting into the Senate, a similar system in the states. Under the constitution, politicians have Parliamentary Sovereignty, that is they are the supreme Legislative Law makers. However under the Doctrine of the Seperation of Powers, there is a division between the Legislature (Parliament), the Executive (Government Departments By-Law makers) and the Judiciary (courts through judgements/precedents).

The Crown currently unites these, not Elizabeth Windsor. If we elected a representative, our courts would be influenced by a popular figurehead who has elections to worry about. THis is called the Greatest good for the greatest number, meaning a decision been made because a majority support it, something that a parliament should do at times in moral issues especially, but in terms of courts, it should not be centred upon. Such practice will mean courts are criticised and this comprehends the Rule of Law.

My argument is, that your system is about overturning our current safeguards, all in the name of, Australia's so called independance which we already under legislation and constitution have, with the argument that we should have a popular leader - very unfair.
what are u trying to say??? the courts will be up to shit if we become a republic

adamj

Yes, if we have an elected president, the courts will lose their impartiality as the head of state as an Excellency opposed to a Honourable would be able to overturn any decision made by a court, currently that position is impartial becuase there is no election.

SKA

me and my baby
HSC
Originally posted by adamj
Irregardless, they only make a minority. Democratic principles are that you can't make all happy, so you listen to a majority, whilst giving that minority the freedom to voice an opinion too.
and how do u know what is the majority is if the votes are so close that the part that makes it the majority are the votes of the people that dont care?

do u get me .. coz im a bit confusing?

SKA

me and my baby
HSC
oh well.. america is a republic.. and look at them.. most powerful nation

oh btw.... i keep staring at that website in ur signature... ne good?

adamj

Originally posted by SKA
and how do u know what is the majority is if the votes are so close that the part that makes it the majority are the votes of the people that dont care?

do u get me .. coz im a bit confusing?
Yes I do. Under the relevant legislation, the Australian Electoral Commission and the State Electoral Office publish informal vote numbers. They are important as it gives us an indication of the proportion that has voted.

adamj

Originally posted by SKA
oh well.. america is a republic.. and look at them.. most powerful nation

oh btw.... i keep staring at that website in ur signature... ne good?
America also has the same doctrine of seperation of powers, however the courts have a different structure to ours, the republicans here do not want to touch that system, and hence a republic will leave elitism to take place. As I have said, I have had American Republicans criticise the proposals by the Australian Republican Movement as nothing but a waste of time - this is an indicator I would think.

SKA

me and my baby
HSC
oh ... well thats smart isnt it

but how would u know if it was an informal vote if they voted properly.. if just they chose ne thing?

adamj

That's their bad luck, obviously they took the time to make it formal and to preference the right candidates.

My website is a working progress, should provide you with adequate info though.

SKA

me and my baby
HSC
yeh i went to it....??
its just outlining the syllabus.... already know that?

adamj

There are other sections, I have some really good legal notes, some of which were makred 100% in assessments.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)