Request For Raw Marks Denied (1 Viewer)

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Hmm..I can't really see why previous years raw cut-offs will have such a large effect (as exagerrated by the board of studies). Every year, the HSC exam is judged and differs from previous years (well I would hope so), so a new raw cut-off for each subject is established every year.

Unless a student could get access to their raw marks, raw band cut-offs AND HSC paper, I highly doubt it could cause any troubles....Unless the Board Of Studies is scared that the marking procedure of the papers aren't reliable. e.g. by the 2 students in 2003 and 2004 who achieved a band 6. Unless they were given access to their HSC paper to review, it would hardly cause any trouble releasing their raw band cut-off.

I didn't look back, but didn't one of your marks in 2001 fall in the band cut off Lazarus ?

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Will_Sparky said:
Were all of our submissions reviewed by the same person? David Murphy? Or is EVERYONE denying now?
Yes, 'twas David Murphy.

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Melz said:
Perhaps they recognise the standard Bored form and just choose to dismiss any of those requests =P
No I filled out a form myself because I had an extra request for itemisation.

Captain pi

HSC
I just saw Lazarus in the paper.

Wow! If the Board isn't intimidated by those dark, handsome looks, we're going to have trouble in court!

Page three article: well done Laz. I noticed a few small errors ("scaled" where 'aligned' would have been more appropriate; I suppose they wanted to skimp on the jargon.); but, overall, I thought it was good. Thanks Matthew!

Are we still going to have to through a Administrative Tribunal hearing to have his overturned, or is the Board going to change it's position once it sees this article?

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Captain pi said:
Are we still going to have to through a Administrative Tribunal hearing to have his overturned, or is the Board going to change it's position once it sees this article?
I have a feeling this article will, for now, strengthen their resolve. More of a fuss will need to be made before BoS acquiesces.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Just a thought could the raw marks be accessed through UAC? This might have a little better luck, although they might have been advised against it.

UAC said:
What information does UAC hold?

The type of personal information UAC collects includes:
  • Your contact details, including name, address, telephone number, email address
  • Your date of birth
  • Your gender
  • Your citizenship details
  • Details of your secondary and other educational achievements
  • Details of your professional qualifications
  • Your employment experience
  • Information related to any disability you may suffer
  • Details of your proficiency in English
  • Your Universities Admission Index (UAI)
  • Your status as an Aboriginal or Torres Strait Islander
  • Your Higher School Certificate and other examination results
If you are a current NSW Higher School Certificate student, your Year 12 results will be held, along with Year 12 results from other states and territories in Australia, in an archive database at UAC. If you are eligible for a Universities Admission Index (UAI) or a Limited UAI, these will also be held in the database. Your results, including your UAI if you are eligible, will also be held on similar archives at tertiary admissions centres in other states in Australia. Results held on these archives will only be accessed by the relevant tertiary admission centre if you initiate an application for tertiary study through that centre, or if you submit an application for tertiary study directly with an institution participating in that centre.

Provision of your email address is optional. In collecting personal information UAC will only collect information for lawful purposes related to its function.

Captain pi

HSC
Xayma said:
Just a thought could the raw marks be accessed through UAC? This might have a little better luck, although they might have been advised against it.
Good idea, but, unfortunately, the Freedom of Information Act 1989 (NSW) does not cover universities.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
The UAC is not a university though.

The only thing is that it's primary function is directly related to unversities.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Ahh ok.

Thanks for that, as I thought it wouldn't be likely.

Slidey

But pieces of what?
HSC
Who says the FOI need be used, though? UAC isn't BoS. They might be more willing.

Captain pi

HSC
Slide Rule said:
Who says the FOI need be used, though? UAC isn't BoS. They might be more willing.
I think James has tried to just get more scaling data, and failed. I think UAC are even more unwilling than the Board of Studies.

You could always write to them, of course. I am guessing they would allow you to view your name and sex, for instance. (I don't know whether they'd spend so much money to bother, though.)

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
Captain pi said:
Good idea, but, unfortunately, the Freedom of Information Act 1989 (NSW) does not cover universities.
Laz was aware of that when he made the FOI request though.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Yeah it was more of a thought of another route, oh well. Doesn't really matter that much I suppose.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Was that the state or national act? Since the database they talk about is a national database. Alas, the only results they would probably keep on the database would be UAI rather than all factors concerned with it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)