Required Subjects for Uni Courses - help! (1 Viewer)

sepul

HSC
Hey I was just wondering that if you complete the required subjects for a uni course if you are still eligible if you get a low mark ( ie below 50% ) as long as you fullfill the requirements of the course.

Also when it says "assumed knowledge" will they consider you for selection even if you haven't completed those subjects.

I am asking because I got 40% in 2U maths and I want to do a B. Science and I need to know if I will still be considered for selection.

Thanks for the help in advance.

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
The selection is based solely on your UAI.

I personally asked the University as well, they said it was highly recommended that you undertake the appropriate bridging courses, but however is not necessary to get into the course.

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
If it's 'Assumed Knowledge', they expect those who undertake the course to know and understand the content from the subject. However, it doesn't mean you have to. You will, however, be at a disadvantage if you don't.

sepul

HSC
ahh excellent! so I'll still be up for selection in that course ? ( In Qld I was knocked back because of this, but in NSW I was always told if you "fullfill the requirements of the course" ( ie hand in all units, do assessments etc ) then you don't "fail" the course )

Also if a uni spot has vacancies will I almost automatically be selected as long as I have done the pre-requisites ?

santaslayer

HSC
depends on ur uai and there uai cut off which u should assume to be higher than usual

sepul

HSC
Why would it be higher if they have vacancies ? You'd think they'd lower it to fill the positions.

Anyway I am short of the UAI cut offs but the courses have vacancies.

santaslayer

HSC
ehhh..... it really depend on the demand for the course in the later rounds.....main rounds might have lower uai cutoffs because less people put it for first preference...in later rounds, people might start choosing it for first preference

sepul

HSC
Does Vacancy mean that even if everyone had that course on their application ( either first or last ) the course won't be full still ? And they'll take anyone who applies and has done the required subjects ?

Last edited:

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
Usually the UAI for the late round when there is vacancies is higher than the Main round.

You should look at the 2003 main and late round cut-offs to get an idea of how much it might increase.

sepul

HSC
hmm ok I checked some and they're a couple points higher, but with the courses that are higher in the second round and STILL have vacancies - how does that work ? If they have places you would think it would drop.

But basically, if there are places available and I do the required subjects, even tho' my UAI is below the cut off - will they consider me ?

sam04u

Comrades, Comrades!
HSC
yeh bro dont worry they consider every applicant when they have vacancies regardless of there uai's. (well it cant be to far off the uai cut-off eg. 78.9 = consider 76+)

btw if ur an abo/fob (TONGAN/SLANDER)
OR LIVE IN THE BUSH ITS MORE LIKE
78.9 = CONSIDER 52+ lolol

santaslayer

HSC
yea, sams right, i had a friend that was a point or so lower and they still accepted her coz no one wanted to do the course

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)