• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

requirements to become a solicitor (1 Viewer)

wakarimashita

does anyone know if there are any 'requirements' for law graduates to become a solicitor? eg a DN average? thanks :)

santaslayer

HSC
wakarimashita said:
does anyone know if there are any 'requirements' for law graduates to become a solicitor? eg a DN average? thanks :)
LoLz@ Asqy...:p

You need to either of obtained a university degree in LLB or joined the course run by the Legal Practicioners Admission Board (LPAB). After that you will then have to either of completed the PLT (Practical Legal Training) @ university or passed the exam set by the LPAB.

These are the two most common ways of becomming a solicitor. There is no requirement of getting a certain grade at uni. (except for a pass :p)

NOTE: Becomming a Barrister will require further exams. :uhhuh:

theone123

blue essence
HSC
u also need to join the law society, i cant remember what the technical name, also in NSW u may become a solicitor or a barrister, where u may only choose to become one, i think to become a barrister u must become a fellow of the bar society. :D hope this helps...

wakarimashita

out of curiosity, if you don't need a law degree to become a solicitor or barrister, then why do so many people want to get a law degree?

MoonlightSonata

Retired
HSC
N/A
Briefly:
You do not necessarily need a law degree - "It is also possible to become a legal practitioner by completing a course prescribed by the Legal Practitioners Admission Board" (although the probability of a firm hiring you without a law degree is questionable).

After graduating in law, prospective solicitors must undertake a practical legal training program - eg. from the College of Law - about $6000 (for about 6 months to 1 year I believe? not sure on the time frame)

You must also be admitted into court (in NSW the Supreme Court), done through the Legal Practitioners Admission Board.

In detail:
The Law Society of NSW has all the relevant information on how to become a solicitor:
Law Society of NSW

To actually practice has further obligations, eg...

"To practise law in NSW a person must hold a practising certificate issued by the Law Society which is renewed annually subject to certain conditions such as Mandatory Continuing Legal Education, contribution to the Solicitors' Fidelity Fund and payment of Professional Indemnity Insurance."

(Barristers alone obtain a practicing certificate through the NSW Bar Assoc I believe. Solicitors have the right to appear in court anyway.)

Last edited:

santaslayer

HSC
natstar said:
i dont get it...u need a law degree to approach the bench in a court...barristers approch the bench...
Barristers and solicitos have different jobs. One acts as an advocate and the other does more paperwork than anything else. This thread is about a becomming a solicitor and yes, in answering your question, any ïdiot"can practice :p although the Legal Practicioners Admission Board regulates quite heavily who can and cannot hold a practicing certificate. :)

If you are interested in being a Barrister, then this link may help:

http://www.nswbar.asn.au/Profession...Bar/message.htm

addz

HSC
well...even without a law degree, i suppose you could still get the legal knowledge...but in terms of employment i guess its questionable as to whether a uni degree compared with that board-course thing is more highly looked upon.

santaslayer

HSC
Hmmm...more complication....I've just been told you can act as an apprentice to a solicoter and still practice law. All you have to do is pass the LPAB people. :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)