Research + Contacts (1 Viewer)

WTF!bbq

if you have to ask
HSC
Ahoy. A few weeks before my awesomely cool English teacher left at the end of 2006 :)() he mentioned that EE2 research would involve a fair bit of one-on-one communication with professionals in the field of whatever medium we've chosen.

I, personally, am writing a short story, but I figured I'd stick this here cause it'd be good to get some feedback from current and past students across all areas of EE2. So, to what extent did you/are you going to be getting in contact with authors, filmmakers, poets etc? Is it something that's generally expected of students, or is it that whole going-the-extra-step idea? Was it a long-term situation with one author (for example) over the course of the whole project or smaller interviews with lots of different people?

While I'm at it, did you find yourself contacting a lot of (again, for example) English teachers/lecturers from different schools and universities to read your MW, give feedback, that sort of stuff? I'm a bit worried I won't know enough people to do this sort of thing - is it common practice? Not just in establishing what works for your audience and what doesn't, but in refining one's writing skills in general.

Apologies for the atrocious wording of my post, my sleeping pattern has gone to hell in a handbasket over the summer break.

Looking forward to hearing about this :D Cheers guys
Dani

HSC
N/A
EE2 *can* involve use of one-on-one interviews (or say, mail communication) but it's not part of the course, and a lot of people don't do it because they don't get the opportunity. A lot of uni lecturers barely have enough time to mark their student papers, let alone look at EE2 MW's... and the professionals you can get in contact with will charge you for it.

Personally, the only people I "contacted" was this professional writer (forgotten the name) and another writer... both were organised by the school with a history of mentoring EE2 students. The first was a face-to-face interview, the second was the critique of two drafts at different points in the year. I felt both were great, but the latter particularly beneficial in the sense that she could see and comment on the progress of my work over a period of time.

I don't think students should worry if they can't find a professional to look over their work (in the sense of professional-professional, not just a teacher or tutor). Your EE2 teacher is there for a reason, and I imagine the bulk of EE2 students aren't able to contact a professional so it's not putting you at a huge disadvantage. :)

As for writing skills - another useful (and free) resource is to get a pool of student writers together. Pass out copies of a 'segment' of each other's writing, and critique on what you love and what you feel could be improved on :)

WTF!bbq

if you have to ask
HSC
Spanks glitterfairy!! :D Another question which just occurred to me that I thought I might throw in: is it valuable to take up the offers of mentoring posted here on the boards? And when I'm getting feedback on my story, is it good to stick to people whom I imagine would fall into my audience category? The more the merrier, I'd think, but would I give certain opinions more weight or attention because of this?

I especially like the idea of having a group of student writers to pass around pieces of our work, except there's only 3 of us doing 4u and seven in total doing 3u >_< I know we're going to end up like a soulmate-triangle by the end of the HSC.

Cheers
Dani

HSC
N/A
Mentoring... I think it's really up to the individual. Personally, I had a great EE2 teacher and student support network, so I did fine without. I don't think it ever hurts to get a second opinion, but like with all things - remember that opinion is subjective! :)

In terms of 'audience' I actually like a mix of people, although preferably open-minded ones. I can see a stronger argument for a "streamed" audience, but again it's all up to the individual. I like understanding why different people have different responses, it also gives you a more 'wide' view of what works and what doesn't.

In terms of 'weight' I actually rely a lot on gut feeling. There are certain people who I get a "your opinion is stupid, I'll listen to it but I'm sure as hell not taking any of it on" vibe from. Similarly there are also people who I think "wow, I didn't really consider that, but I think you're onto something...". I love people on the same wavelength, but at the same time I respect people who are able to point out my writing issues AND come up with ideas to fix them. One of my critics literally tore my first draft apart, but it was so good... I really felt that she'd read my work thoroughly, considered my direction... made some extremely valid pointers. Listen to what your critics say... some will just really strike a chord with you.

As for group of students, this is why you have places like BOS :p go make some friends, girl!

WTF!bbq

if you have to ask
HSC
Jeebus glitter, did anybody ever tell you how much you rock for EE2 matters ^__^ You raise a good point about the tough love kinda critics, I know one English teacher at my school that I'm going to be going to asking for advice cause she strikes me as that sort of person.

Huggles
Dani

konstantine'

HSC
I agree with glitterfairy, having professionals as mentors or the like isn't a compulsory aspect of the EE2 but nonethelss it doesn't hurt if the opportunity presents itself. I guess it's what you do with the criticism you receive that matters; some people are just no bothered to act on it. If you can though, I think it would be a good idea to at least try to contact someone who has some expertise in whatever AOS you are looking into. For instance, my EE2 teacher's daughter managed to get Bryce Courtney to read some of her stuff but yeah not everyone will be as lucky. It'd just be nice to have an additional person to review your work for you besides your EE2 teacher. Plus, you get more ideas to consider and work with :)

shimmy&shine

HSC
personally, I went to a number of poetry events and made contacts with some established poets. I didn't really have in mind 'this is what i need to do for ee2', i just generally and genuinely wanted to get to know them and talk to them about poetry, les murrary for example gave me wonderful advice.

Because i was the only one doing poetry at my school, i had to seek outside help. I established contacts with poetry publishers, uni professors / doctors, presitigous poetry competition judges, pretty much i sought the help of those on top of their field.

I didn't just do this for ee2 though, i just enjoy getting out of my comfort zone and meeting new people, contacting them, and listening to what they have to say. From my personal experience, they seemed to be flattered that a student would single them out and seek help, and they seemed very happy to take the time to read over my work, as long as they weren't busy. Of course you have to catch them at the right time and not seem intrusive and annoying.

so by all means pursue outside criticism, feedback, help from contacts. Its good to get a broad range of feedback on your major work. and these contacts might not be just useful for ee2 but for the future, for example one uni professor for ee2 went out of her way to contact me and see how my uni prefs and offers were going.

anyway, sorry for blabbing on, but the bottom line is that contacts or positive and useful so go for it! :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)