Residential Colleges... (1 Viewer)

SpHan

HSC
hi! i decided to spend this year working to save up for uni (ima country kid n accommodation is expensive!!) anyway i was at drews and got sum info off them and it said that students recieving austudy (as i will be by next year) dont have to pay full fees. can anyone comfirm this and if so do u know how much the fees are on a weekly basis for students with austudy??
thanks
Han

stazi

Nightman
HSC
Hi Han Solo,
Ausstudy is for people over 21 (from memory). You need to find out if they discount the rates for Youth Allowance (If that's what it's called). Also, if they told you that this happens, then of course it's true. A student doesn't have more authority or knowledge than official drews correspondence.

SpHan

HSC
lol Han solo. nah you can qualify for austudy 2 ways one is if you are over 25 n been in the workforce the other way is by earning about 18 grand in 18months since school finished n thats what im doing. they didnt tell me i read it somewhere a long time ago. lol i really need discounts omg its so expensive liek 400 dollars a week! ill be getting 400 a fortnight from austudy n might get living away from home allowances but need to look into it further.

SpHan

HSC
whoops i was wrong you are right! austudy is for over 25's and youth allowance is for those who are under 25 n save 17 grand. something like that anyway!

Quintin

HSC
kloudsurfer said:
So...you have to go out and buy yourself one of those big black gown thingies just to wear to dinner every wednesday?
kloudsurfer said:
Whats this I hear about St Andrews (or Wesley i dont remember) having to wear academic dress to dinner every night? Is that right or have i got my facts wrong?
every person from every college wears them to formal dinners and everyone buys them in O-Week.

So...you have to go out and buy yourself one of those big black gown thingies just to wear to dinner every wednesday?
It means its the only college with a bar thats allowed to be open every day, making it the 3rd and final full time bar on campus after Manning and Hermans.

The one at drews has a special-events only license, which means its rarely open and as for the wine thing im not sure but I know for a fact that womens has no bar at all. [/QUOTE]

not for long... drews will be getting one soon :)

well drews has some exchange/gap year students leaving after this semester.
i hear the criteria to get in is to ethier get over 97uai or have a relative that went there... or know someone on the college board or sleep with the college board..
give them a call but they are probably booked out by now. My advice is wait for next semester because without O-Week college would be kind of bland (i mean for the introductory stage)

Jack90 said:
hey

I'm from melbourne, and I rully wanna do the B arts & sciences next year at sydney

So living in college would make sense, and my cousins continually rave on and on about how awesome college is... But I don't play sport (I'd happily go along to games with a giant foam finger, or whatever, to be supportive though).

Also, the cut off for the course I want has been 75 for the last two years, I'm only doing 5 subjects, and not exactly killing my self with study so I'm not expecting a really high ENTER/UAI.

Do I have a chance at getting into a college? Oh, and when is a good time to apply? I figured just after the open day in august after having seen all the colleges and talked to people who live there.. That won't be too late will it?

Sorry about all the questions, and THANKYOU to ANY replies in advance. :)
there is a chance but not a great one with 75, depending on where you want to go though it is worth aplying just in case. Otherwise you can always do SUV... also being amazing at sports in not needed at all but you do need to have something special, because the college does need to decide to pick you over the other applicants so if you do music were a prefect etc. put all that in ...

A High Way Man

all ova da world
HSC
whats the differnece btween "Colleges" and the usyd terraces?

EDIT: oh so the college is some posh traditionally thing wheeras the terraces are just a place to live?
fuck colleges then

Last edited:

sandersen

si seulement...
HSC
Has anyone applied/got answers about their applications yet this year?

I've been offered in interview with Wesley but I'm in Greenland so that could be interesting.

Jack90

HSC
Quintin said:
there is a chance but not a great one with 75, depending on where you want to go though it is worth aplying just in case. Otherwise you can always do SUV... also being amazing at sports in not needed at all but you do need to have something special, because the college does need to decide to pick you over the other applicants so if you do music were a prefect etc. put all that in ...
Hey thanks for the reply, it looks like my UAI will be somewhere between 85 - 95 now having a better idea of where I stand. As for having 'something special...' I suppose I have things. Eh, I'm deferring anyway.

Anyhoo, thanks :)

^CoSMic DoRiS^^

makes the woosh noises
HSC
dagwoman said:
Don't let this worry you. Apply early though, to give yourself a better chance. My homeis a 5 minute drive away from my college and I got accepted :)
curious, how come you chose to live in college if your home is so close by? just an experience thing?

ChrisAlli

HSC
I was just wondering when I would find out if I was accepted into the colleges I applied for- drews and wesley?

And what are my chances of getting in if my UAI is about 87-90?

Samisfat

Fat holmesy
HSC
hey ive been asked for an interview at drews n i was wonderin wat do they ask lol im so scared are they really mean? i come from the country n i think my uai will be round 75 or sumthin do i still have a chance of gettin

ChrisAlli

HSC
pretty good at cricket and used to go to state for athletics (till I laid off it a while back).

The interview was fine, you just talk about random things with a couple of mandatory questions like why do you wan to go to a college.

The director was a good guy no need to worry.

Samisfat

Fat holmesy
HSC
lol nah im not a complete dummy! thanks for that im so nervous bout the interview

Samisfat

Fat holmesy
HSC
im just wondering wats the difference between drews n wesley! which one is better. thanks

ChrisAlli

HSC
I've had my interview with both and they both seemed fairly similar.

Drew's probally had slightly bigger rooms and I liked the building a bit more then Wes (just me though).

Drews has more nights a week where they have to wear the gown things (4-1 I think).

Cost about the same (Drews probally slightly more expensive).

People I meet had the same opinion as me in that Drews had the best looking girls.

Drews puts more empahasis on the academic side of things.

All that comes to mind at the moment.

Anybody know when we find out if we have been accepted into Drews or Wesley?

sandersen

si seulement...
HSC
ChrisAlli said:
I've had my interview with both and they both seemed fairly similar.

Drew's probally had slightly bigger rooms and I liked the building a bit more then Wes (just me though).

Anybody know when we find out if we have been accepted into Drews or Wesley?
Really? Mine were totally different - Wes came at me with whole lot of questions from a sheet of paper, asking about drinking, how I would describe myself and a whole lot of other things, a totally relaxed and friendly interview, while at drews we went through my application, and I was asked about my siblings (age, school etc etc), parents (jobs, previous employment, backgrounds) as well as all the other stuff I wrote. Much more formal.

I agree with you I think that drews is much nicer on the inside than Wes...

And if you haven´t heard anything either then I can hope that it´s not bad news yet... Probably we´ll hear after main round offers are released?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)