Resources for New Syllabus (Trials) (1 Viewer)

Husky

HSC
Now that trials is slowly approaching, I'm unsure of which resources to use in order to study for it. My school has absurdly hard trial papers and with limited resources available for the new syllabus, what should i be prioritising? I.e. should I be using HSC papers, trial papers or textbooks for trials (ext.2 specifically)? I'm worried that if I use trial papers only then I won't be able to study the new syllabus topics since I feel like there's no resources besides the sample paper for the new syllabus topics.

TheShy

HSC
Recommend doing the trial papers always, since they are usually harder than the acutal HSC, from which I heard, and if you have trouble with the questions, you can always refine your knownledge on the topic through the textbook

CM_Tutor

HSC
N/A
Past trial papers are generally the best source of practice questions, along with past HSCs. The problem with a new syllabus is that you need to skip the questions from past papers now missing from the syllabus and - worse - to source practice questions on new syllabus content. The fact that the boundaries of the new syllabus are unclear makes it harder. Prior to the present change, there hasn't been a substantive change in the syllabus in decades and even textbooks and study guides give only the authors' views on what is and is not examinable.

Hopefully BoS contributors will help share and upload more resources as time goes by - topic tests, half yearlies, trials, anything given out that provides questions, especially on the new topics.

As for schools with reputations for extra challenging trials, that's all the more reason to make sure you practice as much as you can from school past exams.

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Some things to consider:
  • Most of the material in the current syllabus also existed in the older one, so if you're looking for practice materials with the most topic coverage then past trial papers would be your best bet
  • It shouldn't be a case of choosing between past trial papers or new syllabus topics - a more efficient approach could be to target your study to focus on topics you are weaker at

Husky

HSC
Some things to consider:
  • Most of the material in the current syllabus also existed in the older one, so if you're looking for practice materials with the most topic coverage then past trial papers would be your best bet
  • It shouldn't be a case of choosing between past trial papers or new syllabus topics - a more efficient approach could be to target your study to focus on topics you are weaker at
Ah right that makes sense, i actually struggle with some of the older syllabus topics so ill be sure to focus on those. Thank you!

Husky

HSC
Past trial papers are generally the best source of practice questions, along with past HSCs. The problem with a new syllabus is that you need to skip the questions from past papers now missing from the syllabus and - worse - to source practice questions on new syllabus content. The fact that the boundaries of the new syllabus are unclear makes it harder. Prior to the present change, there hasn't been a substantive change in the syllabus in decades and even textbooks and study guides give only the authors' views on what is and is not examinable.

Hopefully BoS contributors will help share and upload more resources as time goes by - topic tests, half yearlies, trials, anything given out that provides questions, especially on the new topics.

As for schools with reputations for extra challenging trials, that's all the more reason to make sure you practice as much as you can from school past exams.
Yeah I agree, new syllabus is unclear to a certain degree and I've noticed many textbooks give different views of the syllabus in that some choose to teach a certain topic whereas others don't. So I'll most likely prioritise the past trial exams and any material I can find for the new syllabus. Thank you :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)