Responding to telemarketers (1 Viewer)

Wild Dan Hibiki

teh sex0r
HSC
tell them to take your number off their call list/database.

they have to do it

flipsyde

Shutup!...that's why
HSC
I shortened this convo...but you get the idea

Telemarketer (Indian): hello how are you? I am ringing you today to offer you-

Me: No sorry I'm not interested

Telemarketer: But I'm offering you-

Me: No sorry.

Telemarketer: But-

Me: I bet you're not even from Australia

Telemarketer:Yes I am.

Me: Lovely sunny day isn't it?

Telemarketer: Why yes it is

Me: Where abouts in Australia are you calling from?

Telemarketer: I am calling from Sydeny

Me: Mate... its raining here...goodbye *Hangs up*

hehe

HSC
^ ^ ^ ^
Haha, that's gold! I've gotta try that one. :)
That's kinda like what I do.
I ask them where they are, in their Indian accents they say Melbourne, and then I ask them whereabouts in Melbourne.
Hmmm, funnily enough, they never answer that question...

I also don't mind telemarketers if I can understand them AND the first time I say I'm not interested they accept that as the answer.

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
yea i had a go at a telemarketer once, an indian bloke who dared to defy my demand of taking my number off their call list. so i threatened to speak to their manager and call the accc (which he had no idea what it was, being from india and all). i was very close to pulling out one of my favourite indian jokes, lucky he hung up in time.

HSC
volition said:
I don't agree, the fact that they do it for a living does not mean it is an acceptable practice, in much the same way that being a hitman does not justify murdering people.

I think it's wrong to go around cold-calling people and bothering them (mainly because telemarketers invade people's privacy in a very intrusive manner), and that you shouldn't support this kind of business/industry by working for them.

You're letting them hide behind this frame we have of "they're just doing what they're being told to do", but if somebody told you to steal, would you?
I dont know why you are being so short sighted in this issue. If there are no demands there will be no telemarketing. If every australian stopped buying products sold through telemarketers, there will not be telemarketers. If most people boycott australian companies using telemarketers, they'll quickly stop using them.

Instead of vilifying people who are doing their job, get a pvt number and enjoy your privacy. Problems solved.

volition

arr.
HSC
Indian Princess said:
I dont know why you are being so short sighted in this issue. If there are no demands there will be no telemarketing. If every australian stopped buying products sold through telemarketers, there will not be telemarketers. If most people boycott australian companies using telemarketers, they'll quickly stop using them.

Instead of vilifying people who are doing their job, get a pvt number and enjoy your privacy. Problems solved.
The fact that they wouldn't do it if it weren't profitable is not my concern.

The fact that it invades people's privacy is, which is why I think it's wrong to just go around making thousands of unsolicited phone calls.

mcs

HSC
f**k they piss me off..... what bugs me is not so much them ringing up but when they ring up. They always manage to ring at dinner time when you are busy doing other things. I usually just either use an expletive linked with off and hang up.

HSC
volition said:
The fact that they wouldn't do it if it weren't profitable is not my concern.

The fact that it invades people's privacy is, which is why I think it's wrong to just go around making thousands of unsolicited phone calls.
Thats why the government draw parallel lines between businesses and privacy concern by allowing you to have private numbers. Take advantage of it.

jest

HSC
i just hang up when they say where they're from. or if i'm really bored, i'd let them go on about what they're selling for awhile then i'd hang up on them

volition

arr.
HSC
Indian Princess said:
Thats why the government draw parallel lines between businesses and privacy concern by allowing you to have private numbers. Take advantage of it.
I'm not talking about whether or not it should be legal, I just think it's wrong.

As in, "I should not do this", rather than what you're saying which is, "I'll try it and if they don't want to be called they should have a private number anyway". Thinking like this is like that episode in the Simpsons where Bart says "I'm just going to keep punching and if you're in the way, too bad", and Lisa says "I'm just going to keep kicking and if you're in the way, too bad" (paraphrased). Then they just walk forward and hit each other.

Besides, those companies can get hold of your details(even with a private number) when you put your details down on forms. Some companies have no respect for people's privacy and just give/sell details to other companies.

Last edited:

Nakashima

We GLAMOROUS
HSC
It really shits me when they call during dinnertime, or when the same telemarketer calls you more than once in one day. It shits me even more when I pick up the phone when it rings, and I hear "all our operators are busy at the moment, please hold the line..." - like wtf.

Then there are some with creepy questions like "are your mum and dad home?".

Usually I just tell them I'm busy, and if they don't accept that within 5 seconds I hang up.

S1M0

LOLtheist
HSC
I speak in arabic really fast (and it doesn't make any sense either :)), and then make death threats to them.

Well, at least i would like to, if any telemarketers bothered to call up my adress, that is.:)

absent

on so many levels
HSC
mcs said:
f**k they piss me off..... what bugs me is not so much them ringing up but when they ring up. They always manage to ring at dinner time when you are busy doing other things. I usually just either use an expletive linked with off and hang up.

that's right cause they have little alarms that go off when you sit down for tea, then they all rush to phones just to call and disturb you!

lala2

Banned
HSC
- Pretend you're not the homeowner--say you're the babysitter/maid, or renting, or anything else suitable (Mum's idea)
- Pretend you can't speak English (Mum's idea, and she can pull that off as she speaks 4 different Chinese dialects plus Malay and so can insert a variety of non-English words) and say "no English" in a really Asian/any other non-English-speaking background accent
- Say that you're rushing off--really, really, really late for a major, major, major appointment--pulled that off yesterday, but the guy didn't sound convinced :s
- If they say "are you over xxx age to answer?" I say no

I should try parodying the Indian accent next time.

Aznpsycho

Supplies!
HSC
N/A
As a dirty scumbag fuckface telemarketing faggot, let me address a couple of points:

The reason for that weird gap between you hearing anything and your pickup is because we use a computer system which connects you to a random person in the call centre. It's simply a method of increasing productivity - it basically removes all the no answers from people who aren't at home.

Telemarketing is incredibly boring, but after a few weeks, your spiel flows completely naturally, despite any improvisation and elaboration on your part. It's not particularly hard, thats why its perfect for university students who lack any other skills. Besides, it's nice to just sit around with your fellow cubicle-buddies just shooting the shit and making dirty jokes while waiting for the disgustingly buggy computer to give you calls.

We do not care about you. Hang up, swear, I do not care a single iota about you and your personal grievances. I have calls to make, sale quotas to meet. The worse that will happen is that I will declare you a (sic) 'worthless fuck' to my adjacent cubicle-buddies, and put on a friendly chat to the next call. I will never meet you ever in real life if you were to vocally abuse me, because the world does not work that way. Hell, I actually prefer you to hang up on me loudly, its honest and to-the-point and doesn't waste precious gossip time.

matt88m

HSC
N/A
I was a telemarketer...before I got fired the other week lol. I was good at the job so was shocked when I got fired...anways
I only booked appointments but the easiest people to get were always the old ladies.
We didnt cold call though.
Tell a telemarketer to fark off and they wont call you again!
Dont say your busy...they'll just call the next day.

simonloo

may our bodies remain
HSC
N/A
If there's a paper/plastic bag nearby, I'll usually grab that and start crinkling it over the phone and yell out,
'WHAT? I CAN'T HEAR YOU, LINE MUST BE BREAKING UP"
Then hang up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)