Restaurant leaky fridge damaged my bag. What to do? (1 Viewer)

sandersen

si seulement...
HSC
Saved up to buy a nice leather bag.

I had lunch today in a Thai restaurant in Newtown.

Had to put the bag on the floor - no room on table or extra chairs, then someone realised that the fridge (directly behind us) was leaking, and there was a large puddle on the floor. My one-month-old leather bag had a dark water stain on about 1/3 of its surface area.

I have tried to dry it and make it look normal again, the affected leather (usually soft buttery leather) feels extremely rough and hard and the stain is visible, though it is not too bad.

The restaurant admits fault, but when they see the less than expected amount of damage I don't know what is reasonable to ask for. They seemed to be prepared to refund the bag but I didn't have the receipt with me, plus I really like it. They seemed honest and serious about it, I'm going back tomorrow.

What I want to know is - basically the bag is OK ie usable, but the leather has been damaged by the water. I'm not very happy, should I ask them for a percentage of the price back or something? Is that reasonable?
Should I just suck it up and deal with it?

lonely-lass

HSC
N/A
Try to find the receipt if you have, then go straight away to them and ask for the money :D Coz it's their fault.

sandersen

si seulement...
HSC
I'm just afraid they will laugh in my face - it's not THAT bad. But when you spend a lot of money on a bag you don't want it to be rough and wrinkly :(

random bus

HSC
i'm sure they won't .its a business they want their name to sound good.and they killed your bag
i would be pissed

lonely-lass

HSC
N/A
I'm just afraid they will laugh in my face - it's not THAT bad. But when you spend a lot of money on a bag you don't want it to be rough and wrinkly :(
loss is loss be it small or big, it's ur right girl.

sandersen

si seulement...
HSC
It's a pretty good bag (around $350 or so)

I guess it's just from retail - if you want money back for "faulty goods" then you have to give them back. Eg I bought some shitty kmart shoes that fell apart in 2 weeks, they took them back even though they were ruined.

I guess that is more for accounting/stocktake purposes. They could argue the same though (accounting), right?

What could I say to make them give me money and keep the bag then

Aerath

Retired
HSC
N/A
And since this happened a few days ago - what happened? Did you get your refund? :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)