Results: Semester 1, 2006 (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

c_james

Viva La Merchandise!
HSC
wikiwiki said:
Rhodes is for anglos.
Hahaha, oh man, I've heard it all. I can't do this because of x, or y, or z. Experience tells me in the end these things usually fall into place despite all the supposed obstacles.

And you are right velox, the scholarship isn't everything. But I figure I might as well have my sights set on it - even if I don't get it, I'll have a bunch of really cool extracurricular stuff for my resume, and some life experience to boot, so it's a win-win situation. Heh, by the way, how'd you know my name?

c_james

Viva La Merchandise!
HSC
stazi said:
ohhh for law it's this:

(a) Honours in the Bachelor of Laws may be awarded in two classes: Class I and Class II.

(b) First class honours are awarded to students who obtain an average mark of 75 per cent or higher (weighted in accordance with the credit points for each unit of study).

(c) Second class honours are awarded to students who obtain an average mark of between 70 per cent and 74.9 per cent (weighted in accordance with the credit points for each unit of study).

(d) Students who qualify for the award of first class honours, and whose work is of outstanding merit in the opinion of the Faculty, may be considered for the award of a University medal.

then in another section it says this, which kinda contradicts it:

Description
Mark Range (WAM)
Honours Class I and University Medal
90 - 100*
Honours Class I
80 - 100
Honours Class II (Division 1)
75 - 79
Honours Class II (Division 2)
70 -74
Honours Class III
65 - 69
Pass (not awarded Honours)
50 - 64
90-100 in Law?? That's absolutely fucked. The top graduating student usually only ever sits on a final Law WAM of about 86 or 87 (I remember seeing a thread on this). Does this mean that most years they just don't award the University Medal for Law?

stazi

Nightman
HSC
hahhahah wait, so you're not white? I always thought you were.

and life experience + a WAM of 90 is almost oxymoronic.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
c_james said:
90-100 in Law?? That's absolutely fucked. The top graduating student usually only ever sits on a final Law WAM of about 86 or 87 (I remember seeing a thread on this). Does this mean that most years they just don't award the University Medal for Law?
lol. sigh. again. this is what you need to get in law HONOURS. not in law1001, 1002, 2001, etc. but LAW41xx an 42xx. I'm sure they allocate 90+ for exceptional work in honours, but they may not if the faculty doesn't feel like anyone is worthy of a medal in the year.

To reiterate:
Your honours class is determined by how you perform in your honours year.

c_james

Viva La Merchandise!
HSC
stazi said:
hahhahah wait, so you're not white? I always thought you were.

and life experience + a WAM of 90 is almost oxymoronic.
About a quarter white, more or less. Most can't guess my ethnicity - some dude thought I was Russian the other day.

I led a pretty active social life in semester 1 and got a HD average. I'd say it's doable, if you know how and when to study.

c_james

Viva La Merchandise!
HSC
stazi said:
lol. sigh. again. this is what you need to get in law HONOURS. not in law1001, 1002, 2001, etc. but LAW41xx an 42xx. I'm sure they allocate 90+ for exceptional work in honours, but they may not if the faculty doesn't feel like anyone is worthy of a medal in the year.

To reiterate:
Your honours class is determined by how you perform in your honours year.
There's no extra year for Law honours. If I recall correctly, Law honours is based solely on final WAM.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
social life = work? and your gpa is equal to my sem 2 gpa. zomg im as smart as c_james. that meanz i couldve gotten a 100uai eazy.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
c_james said:
There's no extra year for Law honours. If I recall correctly, Law honours is based solely on final WAM.
so you don't do a thesis?

stazi

Nightman
HSC
off to bed now, but looks like you can still get a uni medal in law as the resolutions say may be considered, thus i'm sure the top student gets it. lol, crap, honours law is quite easy :p No crappy 1000000 word thesis to worry about.

20. The honours degree is awarded in two classes: first class honours and second-class honours.
21. First class honours are awarded to candidates who obtain a weighted average mark of 75 per cent or higher (in accordance with the credit points for each unit of study).
22. Second class honours are awarded to candidates who obtain a weighted average mark of between 70 per cent and 74.9 per cent (in accordance with the credit points for each unit of study).
23. Candidates who qualify for the award of first class honours, and whose work is of outstanding merit in the opinion of the Faculty, may be considered for the award of a University medal.

c_james

Viva La Merchandise!
HSC
stazi said:
social life = work? and your gpa is equal to my sem 2 gpa. zomg im as smart as c_james. that meanz i couldve gotten a 100uai eazy.
Let's just say I didn't have the healthiest habits, and still don't. I worked by day (as in, employment), played by night. Minimal sleep. And perhaps you could've gotten that 100 UAI! I must say, though, the HSC was a complete joke in comparison to the year thus far.

stazi said:
so you don't do a thesis?
Nope. They leave that to the postgrad Law students. For my Arts honours I will be writing a thesis, however.

stazi

Nightman
HSC
worked by day, played by night.
Played WoW by night? That's not a social life :p

no. i doubt i wouldve gotten a 100uai. i was kidding.

although i do agree with the balance comment. Sem 1 I went all out studying and never going out got a 5.75 gpa and was shattered. Sem 2 I balanced heavy uni involvement with heavy weekly drinking with heavy study. Got sensational results (apart from shitty govt1406 with teh worst tutor ever).

c_james

Viva La Merchandise!
HSC
stazi said:
Played WoW by night? That's not a social life :p

no. i doubt i wouldve gotten a 100uai. i was kidding.

although i do agree with the balance comment. Sem 1 I went all out studying and never going out got a 5.75 gpa and was shattered. Sem 2 I balanced heavy uni involvement with heavy weekly drinking with heavy study. Got sensational results (apart from shitty govt1406 with teh worst tutor ever).
Eh, feel free to stereotype me all you want. I don't fit the mould of the kid with the 100 UAI, and anyone I know will attest to that. I don't blame you though. If I met some kid like me (and in my degree I've met a few) I'd probably feel the same on first impressions.

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
Law honours is one of 'those' types of honours. Purely based on academic performance in components in the program. 75% doesn't seem too high? Thought it would be 85%.

I think we can stop comparing penis sizes now.

Mejc

CSAK AZ ETO
HSC
wikiwiki said:
Rhodes is for anglos.
Or for stuck up Hungarians who's parents are professors at Usyd, i know the dickhead who got it last year.

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
c_james said:
Eh, feel free to stereotype me all you want. I don't fit the mould of the kid with the 100 UAI, and anyone I know will attest to that.
Its true stas. This guy is a bit cool, a bit against the mainstream, a bit jaded. Look at his avatar for example. Hardcore wit.

Ps. How about you both shut the fuck up?! :)

stazi

Nightman
HSC
absolution* said:
Its true stas. This guy is a bit cool, a bit against the mainstream, a bit jaded. Look at his avatar for example. Hardcore wit.

Ps. How about you both shut the fuck up?! :)
So is your face.

ujuphleg

oo-joo-fleg
HSC
How old are you guys, 4?

Please, try and stick to the topic. It would be so much better if we could all just get some vodka and drown the sorrows/celebrate. Either way, vodka is good with results.

<3

princess_ariel

HSC
Just a quick question: I got a WAM of 87.89 this first sem, I'm doing bachelor of science. I've not been in Australia long enough to know the grading system here well. I know it's an HD, but I'm still mildly disappointed. Do hardworking science students get 90+ WAMs easily?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)