Results: Semester 1, 2006 (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

velox

Retired
HSC
N/A
princess_ariel said:
Just a quick question: I got a WAM of 87.89 this first sem, I'm doing bachelor of science. I've not been in Australia long enough to know the grading system here well. I know it's an HD, but I'm still mildly disappointed. Do hardworking science students get 90+ WAMs easily?
Ermm, that is excellent. I only know 2 people with a science wam of >90, and one was a medicine student who was very obsessive and the other one worked until the early hours each day to study.

princess_ariel

HSC
Gosh, if anyone studied until the wee hours of the morning each day, he/she definitely deserves that >90! I guess I must be happy, I was nowhere near THAT hardworking! Thanks!

Last edited:

withoutaface

Premium Member
HSC
Well there is Keypad, who may or may not still be above 90 but he doesn't work that hard I don't think.

antarctic

HSC
princess_ariel said:
Just a quick question: I got a WAM of 87.89 this first sem, I'm doing bachelor of science. I've not been in Australia long enough to know the grading system here well. I know it's an HD, but I'm still mildly disappointed. Do hardworking science students get 90+ WAMs easily?

Agree with Velox - that is an excellent WAM, and you shouldn't be disappointed at all. Uni marks are much harder to get than high school marks.
To put everything into perspective, AFAIK subjects run by the Faculty of Science usually scale marks so that a maximum of 3-5% of the candidature get HD's (at least that was the policy as of last year).

Regards and congratulations.

Antarctic

nit

HSC
Well there are a few people at the top end with 90+ wams. All the top maths people, for example, tend to end up with really high wams, since they almost exclusively end up studying nicely scaled maths subjects from second year onwards. But yeh, I'd say there are about 10-15 people in each science cohort with 90+ wams?

stazi

Nightman
HSC
and i dont think there'd be anyone at all with a 90+ wam in commerce.
and really, there's no reason to be disapointed in getting an HD average (unless you smoke crack, but that tends to warp your perception of things)

§eraphim

Strategist
HSC
N/A
nit said:
Well there are a few people at the top end with 90+ wams. All the top maths people, for example, tend to end up with really high wams, since they almost exclusively end up studying nicely scaled maths subjects from second year onwards. But yeh, I'd say there are about 10-15 people in each science cohort with 90+ wams?
Yes, there are quite a few people with 95+ WAMs at UNSW studying maths. But they're nuts.

mma19

HSC
Unrelated to exam results, but this seems to be where the action is.....

Anyone know any places that buy back textbooks? That place across the road near Broadway has closed down, so it seems.

dora_18

HSC
i have a query regarding textbooks...
is there any point in keeping textbooks from first semester considering we have different subjects next semester?

stazi

Nightman
HSC
not unless you're a textbook fetishist. i guess it depends on the field you want to get into

antarctic

HSC
dora_18 said:
i have a query regarding textbooks...
is there any point in keeping textbooks from first semester considering we have different subjects next semester?
It'll depend on what sort of subject you are doing, and how far you've gone in the textbook. For example, I've done some 2nd year subjects that have used the same textbook as their first year pre-requiste subjects.

Regards

Antarctic

Jase

HSC
y'argh so close to straight HDs

BCHM 2071 Protein Biochemistry 84.0 Distinction
PHSI 2905 Integrated Physiology A (Advanced) 88.0 High Distinction
PHYS 2911 Physics 2A (Advanced) 85.0 High Distinction
SCTP 2861 Science Talented Student Project 95.0 High Distinction

i think wam for this sem is like 88?

but combined with last year it would be like 75

Shaking Paper

HSC
ASNS 1001 Modern Asian History and Cultures 1 Result not yet available
JPNS 1611 Japanese 1 Result not yet available
RLST 1001 Paths to Enlightenment 74.0 Credit

lala2

Banned
HSC
I'm amazed some results are still not released! I thought it was the 20th of July, i.e. yesterday.

HSC
I would love to work towards something like Rhodes... but do you have to have completed honours to apply for it or just qualify for honours? Cos I'll turn 25 before the cut-off date (I took a gap year) :( Damn.

Uhh not that I could really be arsed to play sport though :p

dora_18

HSC
i have a question....if you intend of transferring into a different course for next year what kind of results should you be aiming for? and what if you did really well first semester and bad in the second semester, or vice versa
-how is it taken into account

stazi

Nightman
HSC
it really depends on the degree youre transferring to and your UAI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)