Retailers want our money (1 Viewer)

Do you support the initiative to impose the GST on online purchases under $1000?

• Yes - I will explain

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

murphyad

HSC
First it was DJ's, Harvey Norman etc, now it is the smaller guys who are muscling in on the campaign to have GST imposed on internet purchases under $1000.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/new...ver-import-taxes/story-e6frg6nf-1225984663069

Personally I think that this is the stupidest idea under the sun. Here we live, in an isolated market where we often pay through the nose for our consumer products, and the first real taste of proper international competition in this sector causes the retailers to go crying poor to the government for bullshit protectionism. Why Labor even bothered to refer this proposal to the PC, I have no idea - it should have simply been rejected out of hand.

If anybody has any countervailing reasons for this crock of shit, then they had better be good.

davidbarnes

Trainee Mȯderatȯr
HSC
I agree. Retailers have to adapt/become competitive in the 21st century. As the government said, it would cost more to police this than it would bring in in revenue.

ClockworkSoldier

Clockwork Army
HSC
Blah blah blah. Government wants more money. Totalitarian control of produce. Overpricing of products cause they can.

It's the way Australia works, and it's wrong.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)