Retainers for teeth! (2 Viewers)

noneother

the Cho is great
HSC
Hi. I don't really know whether this is the appropriate section to post in...but thats the way it is now.

Ne ways I got my braces removed and now have bonded "permanent retainers" attached to the bottom teeth. This is pretty much the same as braces except they're behind the teeth so it won't affect ur smile. I reckon this is crap! My tongue keeps rubbing against it, I'll have no taste buds left by the end I graduate from uni. I mean who the f**k would want to suffer years after getting braces removed. All my friends have gotten removable retainers. I've got a bone to pick with my orthodontist.

timrie6

HSC
N/A
no they are excellent! believe me I have them top and bottom, after a while you can't even feel them there! you never have to worry about putting your retainer in and your teeth moving again! they are heaps annoying the first few days but believe me they are wayyyyyyy better than removable retainers. they just feel like part of your teeth. give it time -a week or so

breaking

paint huffing moron
HSC
i fucking hate (removable) retainers.
100000000000x worse than braces

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
I had retainers before my braces, then i got bracers and then I got retainers again. So I know how you feel, kinda. My first set of retainers were big and chunky that i couldn't shut my mouth properly. And my second set were just clear plastic, but luckily they weren't permanent. I stopped wearing my second plastic set after about a month cause i'd had to take them out everytime i ate something. I agree, they are stupid and maybe its just a money making scheme for orthodontists.

timrie6

HSC
N/A
your teeth become retarded again if you don't wear it. permanent ones mean you don't need to take responsibilty, and you can eat normally with them

Cape

Forza Ferrari!
HSC
well they aren't as bad as they were. I don't have a huge overbite like i did before. But I just got sick of having plastic and metal things shoved in my mouth.

Oh, the only thing worse than having metal and plastics things in your mouth is the plaster to mould your teeth.

noneother

the Cho is great
HSC
timrie6 said:
no they are excellent! believe me I have them top and bottom, after a while you can't even feel them there! you never have to worry about putting your retainer in and your teeth moving again! they are heaps annoying the first few days but believe me they are wayyyyyyy better than removable retainers. they just feel like part of your teeth. give it time -a week or so
My theory is they're cheaper than removable retainers, so the orthodontists would rather glue them in. I'm going to complain.

breaking

paint huffing moron
HSC
the thing i hate about retainers is taking them out when ur like out somewhere, and you have to take them out to eat, and u try really hard to avoid anyone seeing you

timrie6

HSC
N/A
noneother said:
My theory is they're cheaper than removable retainers, so the orthodontists would rather glue them in. I'm going to complain.
well i broke one of mine and i went to get it fixed, assuming it would be free as I've already paid them 5 grand, I mean, how much more do they want,
and as soon as they were glued on, they told me that would be $150, thanks.
no prior warning of course.

absolution*

ymyum
HSC
I used to have one at the top of my teeth to fix my jaw when i was in yr6. I used to take mine out in front of all the girls and gag whilst they were eating.
Ones on the bottom are apparently horrible, although, after a while you can hardly tell that they are there. Take them out when you eat. :)

Jaydels

HSC
i had my braces off almost 3 years ago and i still have to wear them (the removable ones that is). I have the clear plastic ones on the bottom and wire at the top. I'm supposed to wear them all the time coz i have 6 wisdom teeth and they're pushing my other teeth but i only wear them at night because i can't stand them, plus i can't talk with a lump of plastic in the roof of my mouth (s becomes sh). I once protested and didnt wear them for a few months, but i was made to put them on again, but by then my teeth had moved and i had to jam them on and make my teeth move into place again........that was painful

eye candii

HSC
N/A
I lost mine, and i gota get new ones.
$140 for top
and $120 for bottom!

breaking

paint huffing moron
HSC
eye candii said:
I lost mine, and i gota get new ones.
$140 for top
and $120 for bottom!
that happened to me too!
but it was covered by private health cover or whatever its called!

_muse_

Come on join the joyride
HSC
BreaKing said:
:uhhuh: absolutely 100% agree

i have really chunky retainers and i cant shut my mouth properly.. my top ones no longer fit the shape of my mouth - and my orthodontist said not to worry about getting it resixed (lazy little shit)... stupid things........they hurt my teeth :(

_muse_

Come on join the joyride
HSC
angelduck said:
im gettin them, (the plastic ones), but ill only have to wear them at home and at night, so thats a plus, then again, i have had braces twice, and this time ive had em for more than 2 years, stupid teeth...
hehe yeah i had my braces for almost 4 years... my teeth werent even that bad... i dont even know why the guy made me have em on for so long :confused:

meLoncoLLie

adores corgis
HSC
i have permanent retainers behind my bottom row of teeth too. they don't bother me at all.

and Jaydels, how long was it before your teeth started 'moving out of place' again? i was told to wear the removable ones everyday for a year after my braces were taken off, but i never wore them, yet my teeth stayed perfectly in place. i agree, it's impossible to talk properly with them!

HSC
BreaKing said:
so true...

now I just got reminded that i havnt worn mine since months ago :s

Jaydels

HSC
meLoncoLLie said:
i have permanent retainers behind my bottom row of teeth too. they don't bother me at all.

and Jaydels, how long was it before your teeth started 'moving out of place' again? i was told to wear the removable ones everyday for a year after my braces were taken off, but i never wore them, yet my teeth stayed perfectly in place. i agree, it's impossible to talk properly with them!
if i don't wear them one night the next night i try putting them in they dont fit properly

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)