Retreat From The Global (1 Viewer)

lexio111

HSC
:eek: OMG!!! I am so in over my head, i have no idea what im doing in this subject. I can't find a poem for related material and im going to die. I feel so stupid in my class there all so smart and i'm so average but thats beside the point, does anyone know a post colonial poet or poem i could use for my assignment?

HSC
N/A

GorJESS01

HSC
I agree. I am currently writing a stupid speech trying to sell either global or local... and I can't find ANYTHING at all to assist me in either. so far, i've written that global is better because you have money..... :S so i feel your pain.

topsyturvy86

HSC
I hate this, hate hate hate. Hate.

I have a question though, amongst all my hate.

In the actual exam, is it more important to discuss what the texts show about rftg, or how they show it?

(p.s Quoyle is a miserable old sook)

HSC
N/A
in my opinion you should try for both (although from memory I think I focussed on the latter). Obviously none of the RFTG authors randomly selected 'rftg'-esque themes for the hell of it, so why did they do it? etc.

On a side note I find it quite interesting how the different authors show how they feel about globalisation... is it here to stay? Is local culture doomed to fall? and so on.

SimoneL

HSC
lexio111 said:
:eek: OMG!!! I am so in over my head, i have no idea what im doing in this subject. I can't find a poem for related material and im going to die. I feel so stupid in my class there all so smart and i'm so average but thats beside the point, does anyone know a post colonial poet or poem i could use for my assignment?
That is exactly what goes through my head every extension lesson...only 2 lots of exams to go tho.

jayadore

She was a hurricane.
HSC
RFTG isn't that bad.
Aside from my ext1 teacher who's just insane.
I really really hope they only ask for one related, because my other related is completely under developed. Gross.

Does anyone know someone doing "Fake Plastic Trees" as a related text? Or a place I can get notes for it?

Dave2007

HSC
jayadore said:
RFTG isn't that bad.
Aside from my ext1 teacher who's just insane.
I really really hope they only ask for one related, because my other related is completely under developed. Gross.

Does anyone know someone doing "Fake Plastic Trees" as a related text? Or a place I can get notes for it?
99% probability they WILL ask for 2 related texts.

christo89

HSC
My english teacher was insane so knda had to teach myself rtfg, not fun..
neways im using Seamus Heaney and The shipping news (as funy as the castle is id rather have my related text/s as movie) and my related material at this stage is Blood Diamond but im needing another one..im posibly using As It is In heaven but id rather not use another film if it can b helped...THen again im using Poetry and a novel and a film as it is at the moment so thats fair diversity..Any suggestions?

topsyturvy86

HSC
There is a whole thread on suggested related material - it's really good.

I'm using Gattaca and Tom SInger's One World.

Daaan

HSC
Wow are 2007 Ext Englishers dead this year? Threads gone quiet.

Anyway, thanks to Glitterfairy for the help in this thread, even though its help from years back, its heaps appreaciated and helped me :). Teacher we have hasn't got a sniff of an idea on RFTG, so I've had to teach myself. I'll be fine for the essay, but haven't had an ounce of creativity since it has oozed itself out of my body since the Ext eng 2 project was due. So I'm officially screwed for the creative writing.

Just wanted to know how every one else is doing? Any concerns? I'd just love people to share their problems and stuff, so then maybe a discussion can go underway that might help us all :)

C.star

HSC
Oh i am so screwed for english on friday. I haven't go an essay, I don't know where to start, my notes are a mess and full of repetition and I've written a couple of creative pieces before but I'm not memorising one or an essay cos the question could be really left field....what do i do!!!!? any help would be much appreciated!

Daaan

HSC
I've found the same C.star. Because ext english is so open its hard to predict whats gonna be there. As for creative, I've thought sod it, I know the concepts for RFTG, when I get in there I'm gonna see the question and see what I can do from it! It would be nice to know from Glitterfairy what she did.

As for the essay, don't prepare one. Because you will find u will just memorise that and not relate it to question. Thing I've done (not the best for some people, but its helped me get english marks of 95) is when it comes to essays, just get all your notes that you have, compile them, and then write down all you know on the texts you have studied and make points that link them to syllabus and concepts of RFTG. Therefore all the repetitive stuff from ur previous notes will have disappeared, and you will pick up a lot from writing it out again.

Its weird you know, speaking to a lot of people from other schools, to find that the teachers doing EE1 have no bloody idea what theyre teaching, and most of us have ended up studying it ourselves. Boo teachers.

Anyway C.star, i hope that helped ya! if it didnt, i apologise.

Any advice on creative for ext english would be greatly appreciated!! In many words for the creative, I'm up shit creek without a paddle.

SimoneL

HSC
Daaan said:
Its weird you know, speaking to a lot of people from other schools, to find that the teachers doing EE1 have no bloody idea what theyre teaching, and most of us have ended up studying it ourselves. Boo teachers.
I feel really sorry for all the people who have crappy EE1 teachers. I don't think i would have made it through the course without my teacher...she's awesome! Anyway good luck to everyone on friday...lets hope the people who wrote the exam weren't feeling particualrly nasty when they wrote it.:wave:

Daaan

HSC
Good luck to you too!!

Just had some discussion with someone, it actually helped nack my brain a lil, so yay i think i get it. I envy u simone! id love a good teacher, just teaching myself isnt the same.

Ah well we will see what happens! Hope they are nice this year, they have been so far!

C.star

HSC
Daaan said:
I've found the same C.star. Because ext english is so open its hard to predict whats gonna be there. As for creative, I've thought sod it, I know the concepts for RFTG, when I get in there I'm gonna see the question and see what I can do from it! It would be nice to know from Glitterfairy what she did.

As for the essay, don't prepare one. Because you will find u will just memorise that and not relate it to question. Thing I've done (not the best for some people, but its helped me get english marks of 95) is when it comes to essays, just get all your notes that you have, compile them, and then write down all you know on the texts you have studied and make points that link them to syllabus and concepts of RFTG. Therefore all the repetitive stuff from ur previous notes will have disappeared, and you will pick up a lot from writing it out again.

Anyway C.star, i hope that helped ya! if it didnt, i apologise.

Any advice on creative for ext english would be greatly appreciated!! In many words for the creative, I'm up shit creek without a paddle.

ahh thanks man, that actually did help a lot, it seems a lot less daunting now...as for creative im pretty screwed myself but my teacher suggested creating characters and situations and then picking one to fit the stimulus on the day....

Jemily

HSC
Well Ext1 tomorrow! Good luck everybody! It's my last exam which is a very comforting thought but I'm having difficulty being motivated!

SimoneL

HSC
Jemily said:
Well Ext1 tomorrow! Good luck everybody! It's my last exam which is a very comforting thought but I'm having difficulty being motivated!
Me too. I'm so over study and its making me angry cos i've done nothing but study for basically 2 months. I can't wait till next tuesday...as a matter of fact i can't wait till 11:30 tomorrow. After this exam i never want to see the words:
-global
-local
-symbiotic
-hybridity
-dialectical relationship
-enlightenment view of progress
-J.F Lyotard
-The Shipping News (God i hate that stupid incompetent man)...
...in the context of retreat form the global ever again or i will have to murder someone.

This thread has calmed me a little because i've realised that i'm not the only person who feels in over their head or panicked. Whatever happens it can't be worse than my fisrt essay in year 11 extension...that was truely an abomination.
Excuse the novel, i'm trying (and succeeding rather well if u ask me) to procrastinate.

Daaan

HSC
Yay glad I could be of help ya!!

Good luck to everyone tooooooo! Hope it will be easier than we predict.

And I agree with Simone. I feel i am going to burn my copy of Shipping news, as well as every other piece related to globalisation or any retreat from it. Plus I love bonfires. :burn:

Haha lucky you Jemily! got two more after this, but I'm just relishing the pub crawl after it yusss :rofl:

Dave2007

HSC
I have probably 3 forests worth of RFTG material in my house...oh the irony. And we're discussing it on the interwebs, aswell...

Good luck people!

Are most people just going in to the creative with afew scenarios in mind?

How many theory quotes in the essays?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)