reusing personal statements for same uni (1 Viewer)

addictedtobubbletea

HSC
is it a bad idea to reuse my personal statement for uni apps to the same uni? e.g sydney leadership award, sydney scholars award, e12. some of the questions are exactly the same ;-;

what are the chances that the same person sees both, and recognises it, out of all the applications they have to read??

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad
It probably wouldn't be a bad idea to include the same responses where applicable, provided such responses are of high quality and fulfil the requirements for each respective application. For example, with respect to the Sydney Scholars Award 2022, USyd states:

At The University of Sydney, we look for all-round students who demonstrate leadership skills and involvement in school, community and extracurricular activities

I would assume that the chances of the same person seeing and assessing both of your applications would be rather low, since each award/scheme/program may have its own admission committee, comprised of different individuals. That said, if this weren't the case, it would be a good idea to slightly modify each of your responses according to each different award/scheme/program while essentially elaborating on the same ideas as a precautionary measure. Not only will this ensure you are on the safe side if the same person/people were to assess more than one of your applications, but it would also demonstrate that you are a diverse person, i.e. you express a variety of ideas in an extensive manner and thus are an all-round student.

I hope this helps! 😄

Katsumi

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
HSC
N/A
You should be fine. Even if the same person assesses it, they probably go through so many that yours will not be particularly memorable.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)